(084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron cautiously peers into the hole.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am
Location: Montreal, QC

Post by The Red Baron » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Without a torch, Mero cannot advance farther into the room.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post by flightcommander » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:03 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Morin enters and casts lantern-light about — especially towards the left-hand wall, where he surmises there should be another door. But he pauses before investigating further.

"A word before is worth two behind! This chamber is vast; in our efforts to explore it, we must not scatter ourselves like grains of sand on the wind. Some small group should approach the pit and report back what they see. Only then should another group approach yonder door to our right and open it. Such is my recommendation."
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm
Location: Southern Quebec

Post by merias » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:51 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Orim peers into the hole with Chiron.
[f=32]Aldbane the Cleric (M 6" AC 2/3 HD 3 hp 13/13) plate+shield+helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron, lighting the way, and Orim move cautiously some 30ft into the room, toward the pillars. Meanwhile Morin, with lantern, comes 10ft into the room to clear the way for others.

Soon enough, Chiron and Orim are among the tall pillars, from where they can see 'tis another 20ft or so beyond these to the lip of the dark, diamond-shaped hole that is itself about 30ft across. Looking up, they espy a great, tall space above the pillars, from whence a dim blue glow prevails upon them...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 1196
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post by sully » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron takes a close look at the pillars, to see if they have any writing or runes on them.

Then he takes a peek into the hole.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord

Posts: 408
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post by Tonneau » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Lemmi drifts silently into the room, but hangs back from the lantern-bearers and sticks to the shadows. She keeps a wary eye out for any unwelcome guests
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]

Posts: 698
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:22 pm
Location: Southern Quebec

Post by merias » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:41 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Orim takes note of the floor around the hole, looking for any irregularities before he steps forward to look in.
[f=32]Aldbane the Cleric (M 6" AC 2/3 HD 3 hp 13/13) plate+shield+helm, silvered war hammer, sling, staff of healing[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:09 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

With Chiron, Lemmi, Orim and Morin moving about the room proper, I will assume that everyone in the marching order ahead of them must have shuffled into the entry of the room to make way for them. Everyone behind them in the marching order is still in passage way.

So. According to the Parallel Company's double file marching order, the only figures behind Morin the Hooded are the last four Boggsmen.

Therefore, we have Mero, Walfried, the first two Boggsmen, and Boggs himself (so, five figures) loitering just inside the doorway.
Chiron, Lemmi, Orim and Morin are more advanced into the room.
Four more Boggsmen remain in the passage outside the room.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Posts: 16541
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 am

Re: (084) The Churchcroft Cellar

Chiron examines the nearest pillar; it looks like old stone, pitted with chips and cracks and overgrown with verdigris, but there are no purposeful marking that he can see. Meanwhile, Orim puts his eye to the 20ft broad approach to the lip of the dark hole; it appears firm and sound, excepting perhaps a few flags at the very edge.

Satisfied, the pair approach the dark, diamond shaped hole to peer over the edge. They see the fissure drops perhaps 50--60ft to a spill of treasure on the floor below! No sooner have they grasped this than a sneering voice issues from above them: "GRa GRAAaaaJHA, FJHUC KR-AZZS MJHA??"

Immediately looking up, the brave pair espy a lion-sized knot of aphotic serpentine coils, clinging improbably to the chimney wall 30ft above them! Dark scales glimmer as the serpent arcs glide silently in continuous motion, its awful crocodile-face regards them steadily through alien eyes...
The players have forced the door, so there is no chance of them surprising the monsters.
Will the monsters surprise the players? 1d6=3, so no. Bummer.

Okay then, so the encounter distance would be 2d6=8, so 80ft. Okay, in the context of the chamber, that can be 80ft from the main company near the doorway.

Do the monsters speak common? 1d6=?
Initial reaction check 2d6=?

So now we dive down to the combat-turn timescale people.

At this point, only Chiron and Orim have seen the monster. Everyone else in the room will have heard... something.

Your orders?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Designed by ST Software.