Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: Out Of Character

Boggs declared his intention to scout ahead of the party using his stealth skills, I am not sure why this didn't happen? But in the future it should be our standard operating procedure so we don't get ambushed again. Assuming Boggs survives this mess.
mushgnome wrote:
Boggs suggests, "We should approach out of sight of that tower. I hate to sound like an Elf, but I suggest to move under cover of the trees. Whichever path we choose, let me scout ahead so we don't blow the element of surprise."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Probably the character saying "let me scout ahead" was not taken the same way as "Boggs scouts ahead of the group, keeping to shadows when possible to remain out of sight" might have been.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:53 pm

I'll be honest that it was the Labor Day holiday when I posted that, and I probably had a few beers in my belly. Sorry if I let the party down with my not-up-to-the-usual-standards writing. :( Happy to accept the consequences though; that is how the game works. :)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Eris » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Hey! We can always roll up new characters, and this is really a new game for us, so no recriminations.

The time for talking appears done. It's time to fight.

I'd think Fighters forming a line in front of archers and MU's is the first step. We take the first volley and then our magic users can do their thing, then those of use who survive advance in a line to melee.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:48 pm

mushgnome wrote:I'll be honest that it was the Labor Day holiday when I posted that, and I probably had a few beers in my belly. Sorry if I let the party down with my not-up-to-the-usual-standards writing. :( Happy to accept the consequences though; that is how the game works. :)
No worries, Mush. I didn't have any negative intentions with my comment; just indicating what I think the reason is. I'm guilty of doing the same thing.
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:57 pm

mushgnome wrote:Boggs declared his intention to scout ahead of the party using his stealth skills, I am not sure why this didn't happen?
Sorry Mush; I read it as Boggs opening a discussion rather than Boggs taking decisive action.

Probably the most significant weakness of PBP (compared to face to face play) is the lack of immediate feedback/confirmation, so everyone: please try to use affirmative language to help me understand your intent clearly.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by coffee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:41 am

So my question is this: Had we known we would be using this different style of combat, would we have done anything differently? I ask because you (the referee) specifically note that we didn't take any actions to better position ourselves, and yet to us this was a surprise round when we wouldn't have had the opportunity.

Please note that I'm not complaining; I'm asking seriously. This is a different style of play for me, and I'm not sure what we could have done differently, what alternate positioning we could have adopted.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:15 am

It's a great question to ask coffee :)

From my perspective nothing different has happened yet. I've forewarned you that I want to run the upcoming combat briskly rather than detail it out to the Nth degree the way I have previously (I just don't have the time i used to, and hey, it's an opportunity to try out something a little different and see how it flies). All it really means is: please provide me with enough detail to see you through the next turn, rather than just the next round.

What could the players have done differently so far?

Well.. it's a little unfair, perhaps, from the other side of the screen (in this case the computer screen!), but none/some/all of the following might have been useful in their own little ways:

Before leaving camp:
. Inquiring for directions from the scouts who'd seen the fort, before setting off?
. Buying more food?
. Looking to hire on a bunch of footmen?
. Magic users looking for scrolls or potions?

On the march out you did quite well. You were, perhaps, lucky not to get an encounter sooner but let's chalk that one up to wise play ;) Perhaps you might have:
. Taken advantage of Leudigar's primary function sooner?
. Divided the company into two groups 100yd apart? In the present scenario one group might be under duress while the second group moved to ambush the ambushers? (Dunno if that would always work, just thinking out loud)

The surprise roll was unlucky, sure (and also made me think hard about how these guys physically could surprise you). On the other hand, it was lucky the regulators didn't attack immediately (owing to an uncertain reaction throw). Once that had transpired, you could have:
. Answered Thick-Neck's pretty standard question (even giving false name and purpose would have met protocol), or...
. Offered a bribe (food, drink, pipeweed, or even imaginary treasure) rather than asking them to jump off a cliff!

On the second reaction throw I diced an 8.
A +1 adjustment would have made it a 9 which would have given you (the players) a positive reaction and seen you on your way.
As it turned out, you instead had a -1 for not answering Thick-Neck's direct question, and a further -1 due to them mistrusting a company including dwarfs, so the 8 became a 6 (a second uncertain result).

Even so. Anyone could have posted that they wanted to cautiously rearrange their position (as Leudigar and Menno did) while Alfwin delayed them with his chatter. Actually, I thought Alfwin posted a comment to that effect, but I can't find it now... :|

Anyways... it seems to me the company is now getting itself organised for a decent stand-up fight. I'm a bit worried about the five crossbows, but most of the players have good odds of surviving one normal hit so I'm eagerly anticipating what will happen next...

I like that you care enough about whether these guys survive to ask :D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by heartless » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:21 am

Hi all, if I understand the game in the Netherworld stopped with "(074) Ye Nether World"? And we are all playing with new level 1 characters back in the Hinterlands. You guys have done a lot of good work in the last month. I will join you soon with my character....
Last edited by heartless on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Hinderlands]Kianna the Elf Sister-Fighter-Medium, Elf Maiden, Fighter/MU/Cleric 1/1/1
[Hinterlands-Netherworld] Ashtad Engel (the flaming arrow), Human Maiden, Marksman 2
[Moria] Lady Éohild (Noble of Rohan), Human Women, Fighter 3

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 am

heartless wrote:Hi all, can I find out when the game will continue in the Netherworld with "(074) Ye Nether World"? Am I right that it just stopped at this time, as I can't find the thread after (074)?
That game is on temporary hiatus, Heartless.

Return to “Hinterlands”