Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by doctorx » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Out Of Character

mushgnome wrote:Excellent use of The Coin, doctorx! :D
Thanks, Mush! :D Hoping it guides us well...

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 am

Ways - How far away from the ruined keep are we, and how much daylight do we have left?

I definitely think we should make for the Wildwood but we're likely to have at least one more encounter with riders along the way, so we may want to rest in a defensible position, especially if we're going to roast some warg, before we head out.

We also REALLY need to make sure that the next time we're jumped by 40 goblins and worgs, Guntrum eats a magic bean. We could have won that last fight cleanly with a giant on our side.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:39 am

A long, tiresome day punctuated by a deadly combat is drawing to a close... it will be dusk soon.

The ruin is only a few hundred yards away.

re: Guntram's bean... assuming he ate a bean on the first round, then grew to giant size on the second round, he could potentially have scattered the wargs on the third round. The outcome may have been more assured, but I don't think it would have been dramatically different. That aside, I usually prefer for the active players to take the spotlight, as it were, while the NPC types play second fiddle.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Eris » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:45 am

I seem to recall we saw Giants with the Goblins at Ket. So it might come down to a giant vs Giant fight before it is all said and done.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 am

What about a blind giant two-headed hobbit?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:re: Guntram's bean... assuming he ate a bean on the first round, then grew to giant size on the second round, he could potentially have scattered the wargs on the third round. The outcome may have been more assured, but I don't think it would have been dramatically different. That aside, I usually prefer for the active players to take the spotlight, as it were, while the NPC types play second fiddle.
No criticism intended, Ways. When the battle is raging and our lives are on the line, I'm scraping and clawing for any advantage. But when it's over, man how exhilarating was it to be a part of that fight knowing that your character could die at any moment, even if you've been in the game for literally years? Having a "Deus Ex" like Guntrum the Giant might have taken some of the excitement out of that fight. Your game is really worlds different than any other PbP I've experienced, and for the better.

Of course, I might have been a little less enthusiastic had Dorgan fallen...
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:23 am

How many of those beans are left? What about super-sizing two or three people to quickly carry everyone to the woods? Or too much of a waste of the beans?
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:56 am

ehiker133 wrote:How many of those beans are left? What about super-sizing two or three people to quickly carry everyone to the woods? Or too much of a waste of the beans?
Now there's a plan!

Although giants move the same rate as Men (12"), they are certainly less impeded by obstacles--including heath--and can carry a lot more unencumbered.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:06 am

sully wrote:Of course, I might have been a little less enthusiastic had Dorgan fallen...
Glad you're enjoying it Sully :D

If it's any consolation, I'd be pretty upset if Dorgan was killed too--he's been a Hinterlands stalwart for almost as long as I can remember!

Post by sully » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:13 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:How many of those beans are left? What about super-sizing two or three people to quickly carry everyone to the woods? Or too much of a waste of the beans?
Now there's a plan!

Although giants move the same rate as Men (12"), they are certainly less impeded by obstacles--including heath--and can carry a lot more unencumbered.
How long does the effect last? If we only get a few turns out of it, and then the ones transformed are exhausted and have to be carried, it might work against us in the end...

Return to “Hinterlands”