Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by danhem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 am

Re: Out Of Character

I suppose we could forget about Ket entirely and head back to the abbey to see what is left to loot. Or we could make our way toward a human city like Maine, maybe find a nice quiet dungeon to raid?

After all, we did almost get our butts kicked by 19 goblins riding wargs. I don't think we'd fare well against hundreds of hobgoblins. Oh yeah, and some giants.

Any way we go one thing is certain: everyone's packs should be loaded with way bread.

Post by mushgnome » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:01 am

danhem wrote:I suppose we could forget about Ket entirely and head back to the abbey to see what is left to loot. Or we could make our way toward a human city like Maine, maybe find a nice quiet dungeon to raid?

Or we could even vote to explore (**gasp**) THE HINTERLANDS!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by danhem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 am

mushgnome wrote:Or we could even vote to explore (**gasp**) THE HINTERLANDS!
Well that's just crazy talk.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:12 am

"The Hinterlands" is just a name for the hilly/mountainous wilderness that lie south-east of Ket, and generally separate Ket and the frontier-lands from "civilisation". The rural abbey that you explored is in the foot hills of that wilderness.

One thing to think about thou is while there are hundreds of goblins runing around Ket, they're not at home...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:14 am

danhem wrote:I suppose we could forget about Ket entirely and head back to the abbey to see what is left to loot. Or we could make our way toward a human city like Maine, maybe find a nice quiet dungeon to raid?

After all, we did almost get our butts kicked by 19 goblins riding wargs. I don't think we'd fare well against hundreds of hobgoblins. Oh yeah, and some giants.

Any way we go one thing is certain: everyone's packs should be loaded with way bread.
Do not be scared to fight them with Highbough on your side. ;)

The argument for joining the Battle of Ket is the opportunity to accumulate a ridiculous amount of xp within a condensed period of time. If we are smart and use guerilla tactics, poison the enemy's warg-chow, sabotage their siege equipment, organize and inspire local resistance from within the city, spread rumors and misinformation, recruit the Elves as allies, make contact with the SIsters, join forces with The Boar, etc. then I think we have a realistic shot to rack up 100+ kills. We have Heroic level PCs now, which means the influence to shape and mold historical events. Yes, many of us will probably die, but Highbough isn't worried about the future, he doesn't even buy green bananas at his age. ;)

One additional thought is that, if "the hobgoblins are not at home" then logically, somewhere nearby, there is a hobgoblin lair with hundreds fewer guards than usual...

If the Abbey marks the foothills of the Hinterlands, well then I think it might make a fine base of operations as we become a mid-level party and begin our wilderness exploration of that larger area. Clear out the under levels, hire a small force of mercenaries to man the walls while we are out fightin' and lootin', and allow some of the Sisters to take refuge there, so we would have a ready source of healing. ;)

Not trying to be argumentative/contrary, just tossing some ideas around. Let's brainstorm, people!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:05 am

waysoftheearth wrote:"
One thing to think about thou is while there are hundreds of goblins runing around Ket, they're not at home...
Sounds like an invitation to me. Perhaps the elves know the location of the greenskins stronghold. Sure to be full of loot, and a useful step toward hamstringing the enemy at the gates of Ket (and Gustave always did want to raid a goblin stronghold. I only need to know one thing...where. they. are.).
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by Olroda » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:15 am

Tonneau wrote: I only need to know one thing...where. they. are.).
Any time, anywhere, man!

We really should attempt to take out those that are calling the shots, and leave them bereft of leadership. They're goblins after all, and they'll tear themselves apart without someone strong who tells them what to do. If that takes us deep into snork territory, so be it.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Somebody said Hinterlands and The Gustave thought they said Disney Land and signed up!
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by danhem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:20 pm

ehiker133 wrote:Somebody said Hinterlands and The Gustave thought they said Disney Land and signed up!
Simply awesome.

Post by danhem » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Too bad all of our adventures have ended this way:

NSFW alert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY

Return to “Hinterlands”