Out Of Character

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by sully » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Re: Out Of Character

doctorx wrote:Might someone whisper to Guntram that now would be a very good moment to swallow one of his beans and for Giant Guntrum to put in a repeat performance? A rampaging Hill Giant suddenly coming straight at them may be just the thing we need to make these villains rout.
Ways, are you NPC'ing Guntram? I gotta think that, faced with a life or death situation, he would pull out all the stops, including popping one of his Growth beans...
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:59 pm

sully wrote:
doctorx wrote:Might someone whisper to Guntram that now would be a very good moment to swallow one of his beans and for Giant Guntrum to put in a repeat performance? A rampaging Hill Giant suddenly coming straight at them may be just the thing we need to make these villains rout.
Ways, are you NPC'ing Guntram? I gotta think that, faced with a life or death situation, he would pull out all the stops, including popping one of his Growth beans...
Yep, that's fair enough. Gustave already advised him to, but he got interrupted in the first round...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:21 pm

verhaden wrote:Torben
Torben leans against his spear for a moment and catches his breath. 'They will soon be back, and in greater numbers.'
I love this group...
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:12 am

Help me Obi Wan...

But meanwhile, the legend of The Master-Blaster has just been seeded...

:D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by ehiker133 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:35 am

waysoftheearth wrote:Help me Obi Wan...

But meanwhile, the legend of The Master-Blaster has just been seeded...

:D
Aw, man... I hope I don't have to write like that again. It offends my grammatical sensibilities! ;)
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by sully » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:14 am

So... who's up for Worg steaks?
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by verhaden » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:31 am

sully wrote:So... who's up for Worg steaks?
Medium rare, a bit of cracked black pepper, some coarse sea salt, and a dash of balsamic vinegar

And then days of gastrointestinal distress

ways, was this the largest (or one of the largest) combats you've ran with your system?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 am

verhaden wrote:ways, was this the largest (or one of the largest) combats you've ran with your system?
Hmmm, probably close to top 3 or so.

The other large encounters that spring immediately to mind were, firstly, the 80 orcs versus 20ish PCs (including mercs) I ran in my Moria game--a few of the players here were involved in that one. And secondly a big encounter I ran a while back with a face to face group which involved eight "superhero" grade PCs (8th+ level) versus a dozen frost giants and a pack of winter wolves.

It's interesting to see that I wrote the linked post in mid-2012. I'd been thinking about it for a good while before then, so I've probably been running those rules for over two years now. I've learned a lot about what "works" versus what is too fussy in that time. And I've also had good reason to study Chainmail and OD&D in greater detail (for the Delving Deeper) rules.

So, yeah, I think it's fair to say that if my Hinterlands DD supplement ever appears it will include some reasonably well thought out and table-tested house rules ;)

Post by mushgnome » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm

Excellent use of The Coin, doctorx! :D
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Hmm, the dungeon beneath the ruin won't be likely to yield any food, nor rest, nor shelter. You'll be subject to wandering monster checks hourly therein, and soon run out of food. And, as has been pointed out, it's the first place the goblins will look...

On the other hand, it's spitting distance away.

The supposed Elvish settlement might be two days away, if Wen is right, but if you reach it you'll have safe rest for one thing, and that will likely mean an opportunity to consolidate your XP gains, not to mention restocking your supplies...

The capital, Maine, is much farther inland--weeks of travel by the trade road, which goes directly thru the goblin occupied Hinterlands. A risky proposition with the goblins out and about in great numbers, but not a journey to begin on with naught for supplies!

There may be other refuges about also, although these would first require finding!

Return to “Hinterlands”