(079) What a Gnome Knows

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: (079) What a Gnome Knows

Dopey shakes the char and soot from his helmet then sets about ransacking: the hobbet pats down the sofa and starts slicing open pillow cushions (if any) with his dagger to look for cached items.

What does the rest of this room look like?
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by sully » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Sully the player LOVES treasure. Alas, The Herald cares only for god and glory.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:34 pm

sully wrote:Sully the player LOVES treasure. Alas, The Herald cares only for god and glory.
How terribly unfortunate for the Herald... Leudigar will be happy to assist there, then.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:04 pm

Zax glances over his shoulder as the newcomers dive into the bloody corpse and other garbage around, but does not break stride.
Zax is likewise in love with treasure (though with a competing passion for breaking heads) but would rather find the mother-lode than rifle through goblin under-trousers. He heads to the unexplord tunnel in the present room
Last edited by Tonneau on Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by riftstone » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:24 am

Faengol is fine with the marching order, and searching for treasure.
I hesitate to ask this, but do we have a map?

Post by coffee » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:25 pm

"Well,"says Karl, joining the search for loot."Now we know what to do when we get split up. Just kill something big and the rest of you will show up to help loot!"

His spirit is buoyed by the arrival of the rest of the party. Now he feels like we can take on anything!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by Eris » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:07 pm

"Ha!" Freid laughs, "We need to stay together in here. I'm sure we haven't killed all the Snorks. I think there is a lot more dangerous stuff in here than we've run into so far."
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:46 pm

The expeditionary force find themselves all together in one place at last, and are generally relieved to note that there have been no casualties. In fact, their ranks have been swelled by one new member! The elements of surprise and good steel armor have played superbly in their favour thus far... but how long can this plan continue to pay dividends?

The goblin mess is a large chamber with three entries; that by which Zax and Co. entered the place, the servery door via which Fried and Co. entered, and a third--as yet unexplored--entry; a dark, smelly tunnel.

In this room there are benches and pews and filthy carpets and old easy chairs with the stuffing bursting out of them. The place reeks of goblin-kind and hard-edged tobacco. The obese corpse of the beaten goblin-hero, and his busted up sofa-bed, lie blatted over the floor nearest to the unexplored entry.

Most of the company apply themselves to searching the anti-hero and the mess hall, as well as taking five to assess their own state...
Seems to me that Zax and the Herald intend to march onward, while everyone else intends to consolidate their position here in this room. I will do some dicing for outcomes this evening. I'll wait a bit before deciding whether this requires a new party split or not.

Meanwhile, a couple of answers:

* No PC is explicitly making a map, that I am aware of. Red Baron recently posted a player (not character) map in the general OOC thread which I am not going to comment on :)
* re: fighters' hp; I am intending to post an "extension" to the CM/DD V5 rule that heroes ignore 3 normal hits, so that lower level fighters also benefit. The net result will be that even low level fighters can "bounce back" after normal combat. I will post a hp recap this evening.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:24 am

Zax might think about a rest after securing the location - he will thus explore the unexplored 'smelly tunnel' - I have modified my last post accordingly
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:37 am

The company poke cautiously through the mess hall, ignoring the ambient pong of goblin-kind, turning over pews and stools, checking the undersides of benches, trying loose flagstones, etc., but all to no avail. Dopey the hobbet, meanwhile, is busy gutting the fat goblin's sofa with his knife, freeing the weevil-riddled stuffing from its confines and his effort is rewarded; along with the yellow stuffing he finds the anti-hero's purse; a small thing on a leather cord, tightly packed with coin to make a good-sized handful. The goblin himself was apparently unarmed, but for a 12in dagger on his belt that he never managed to pull from its sheath. Judging by the impressive piles of spent tankards near at hand, he might well have drunk himself to unconsciousness on the feral goblin-ale...
Following a detailed review of DD's (and Hinterland's) treasure chances the ref dices to determine what, if any, loot might be lying about...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”