More Superseded House Rules (Circa 2010)

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Superseded House Rules (Circa 2010)

The following house rules were used from the game's inception March 2010 to until November 2012. At that point, these rules were superseded by an http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=8034Updated Suite of House Rules.

The following rules are left here for interest only. They are no longer in use.

Armour Class

Armour
The helmet has been separated from all suits of armour. Thus, light, medium and heavy armour improves AC by 1, 3, and 5 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

Helmets
Helmets are not included with armour but can be purchased separately. Wearing a helmet will improve AC by 1, but will also reduce the odds of finding secret doors by 1 in 6, and increase the odds of being surprised by 1 in 6.

Shields
Using a shield improves AC by 1 in frontal combat (but is ignored if attacked from behind). Missile weapons attack at -2 versus shields, while light weapons attack at -1 versus shields. Flails and whips attack at +1 versus shields (i.e., they effectively ignore them).

Combat Experience
A fighter's AC improves by 1 for every 2 levels he has attained unless he is surprised, restrained or attacked from behind.

Dexterity
A dexterity of 14 or more improves AC by 1 so long as you are not wearing heavy armour, surprised, restrained, or attacked from behind.
A dexterity of 7 or less degrades AC by 1 if you are wearing heavy armour.

Multiple Attacks

A Fighting-Man (or monster) with 3 times as many levels (or HD) as his opponent has levels (or HD) attacks twice per round. Similarly, a Fighting-Man (or monster) with 5 times as many levels as his opponent has levels (or HD) attacks thrice per round. In either case, initiative is rolled separately for each attack, and multiple attacks do not apply to missile fire.

For example, a 3rd level Fighting-Man can attack twice per round against 1st level (or 1 HD) opposition, while a 6th level Fighting-Man can attack twice per round against 2nd level (or 2 HD) opposition.

Similarly, a 3 HD monster can attack twice per round against 1st level (or 1 HD) opposition, while a 6 HD monster can attack twice per round against 2nd level (or 2 HD) opposition.

Variable Damage

Damage Dice are always six sided but are called as "dd" rather than "d6" to distinguish "3dd" from a regular "3d6". Man-like creatures (including PCs) cause damage according to the type of weapon employed, while other monsters throw damage dice equal to their hit dice;
  • Light weapons (such as daggers, hand axes, slings, short bows, etc.) and staffs typically cause 1dd.
  • Normal one-handed weapons (such as axes, swords, maces, longbows, etc.) typically cause 2dd.
  • Heavy, two-handed weapons (such as pole axes, war hammeres, crossbows, etc.) typically cause 3dd.
  • A 4 HD Ogre will throw 4dd.
  • A 10 HD Giant will throws a terrifying 10dd!!
Roll all the damage dice and sum like faces €“ the highest sum is the overall result. Thus a 2dd roll of 3, 5 is a result of 5 (because 5 was the highest result). A 3dd roll of 3, 3, 5 is a result of 6 (because 3 + 3 = 6, which is higher than 5).

Additionally, fighters add half their level (rounded down) and monsters add half their number of HD (rounded down) to the result.

Thieves throw one additional damage die per level when striking from behind or with surprise with a melee weapon.

Saving Throws
Saving throws are simplified S&W style -- which means there is only one saving throw category.

A level 1 PC needs to roll a 1715+ on a d20 to save. Each level thereafter reduces the required number by 1.

Elves and Dwarfs need 1 less, Halflings need 2 less. Wizards and Templars need a further 1 less. All PCs adjust saving throws for Wisdom.

Edit: Altered AC values to give reconnoiters a fighting chance.
Edit: Detailed multiple attacks.
Edit: Added staff to weapon damage examples.
Edit: Adjusted saving throws (to line up with S&W 3rd print).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Superseded House Rules (Circa 2010)

The following house rules were used from the game's inception March 2010 to until November 2012. At that point, these rules were superseded by an http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=8034Updated Suite of House Rules.

The following rules are left here for interest only. They are no longer in use.

Armour Class

Armour
The helmet has been separated from all suits of armour. Thus, light, medium and heavy armour improves AC by 1, 3, and 5 2, 3 and 4 respectively.

Helmets
Helmets are not included with armour but can be purchased separately. Wearing a helmet will improve AC by 1, but will also reduce the odds of finding secret doors by 1 in 6, and increase the odds of being surprised by 1 in 6.

Shields
Using a shield improves AC by 1 in frontal combat (but is ignored if attacked from behind). Missile weapons attack at -2 versus shields, while light weapons attack at -1 versus shields. Flails and whips attack at +1 versus shields (i.e., they effectively ignore them).

Combat Experience
A fighter's AC improves by 1 for every 2 levels he has attained unless he is surprised, restrained or attacked from behind.

Dexterity
A dexterity of 14 or more improves AC by 1 so long as you are not wearing heavy armour, surprised, restrained, or attacked from behind.
A dexterity of 7 or less degrades AC by 1 if you are wearing heavy armour.

Multiple Attacks

A Fighting-Man (or monster) with 3 times as many levels (or HD) as his opponent has levels (or HD) attacks twice per round. Similarly, a Fighting-Man (or monster) with 5 times as many levels as his opponent has levels (or HD) attacks thrice per round. In either case, initiative is rolled separately for each attack, and multiple attacks do not apply to missile fire.

For example, a 3rd level Fighting-Man can attack twice per round against 1st level (or 1 HD) opposition, while a 6th level Fighting-Man can attack twice per round against 2nd level (or 2 HD) opposition.

Similarly, a 3 HD monster can attack twice per round against 1st level (or 1 HD) opposition, while a 6 HD monster can attack twice per round against 2nd level (or 2 HD) opposition.

Variable Damage

Damage Dice are always six sided but are called as "dd" rather than "d6" to distinguish "3dd" from a regular "3d6". Man-like creatures (including PCs) cause damage according to the type of weapon employed, while other monsters throw damage dice equal to their hit dice;
  • Light weapons (such as daggers, hand axes, slings, short bows, etc.) and staffs typically cause 1dd.
  • Normal one-handed weapons (such as axes, swords, maces, longbows, etc.) typically cause 2dd.
  • Heavy, two-handed weapons (such as pole axes, war hammeres, crossbows, etc.) typically cause 3dd.
  • A 4 HD Ogre will throw 4dd.
  • A 10 HD Giant will throws a terrifying 10dd!!
Roll all the damage dice and sum like faces €“ the highest sum is the overall result. Thus a 2dd roll of 3, 5 is a result of 5 (because 5 was the highest result). A 3dd roll of 3, 3, 5 is a result of 6 (because 3 + 3 = 6, which is higher than 5).

Additionally, fighters add half their level (rounded down) and monsters add half their number of HD (rounded down) to the result.

Thieves throw one additional damage die per level when striking from behind or with surprise with a melee weapon.

Saving Throws
Saving throws are simplified S&W style -- which means there is only one saving throw category.

A level 1 PC needs to roll a 1715+ on a d20 to save. Each level thereafter reduces the required number by 1.

Elves and Dwarfs need 1 less, Halflings need 2 less. Wizards and Templars need a further 1 less. All PCs adjust saving throws for Wisdom.

Edit: Altered AC values to give reconnoiters a fighting chance.
Edit: Detailed multiple attacks.
Edit: Added staff to weapon damage examples.
Edit: Adjusted saving throws (to line up with S&W 3rd print).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Hit Points
The "starting" hit-points which I have rolled up during PC generation will be used on the first adventure.

Thereafter, your hit-points will be rerolled at start of each new "delve". I.e., each time you leave the safety and comfort of town looking for adventure, I'll re-roll everyone's hit-points.

When I re-roll hit-points, I will be rolling all of your hit-dice. You may have more hit-points on one adventure, and fewer on the next, or vis-versa.

Healing
Pausing for a breather and a refreshing draft, or taking time to dress and bind wounds, or just to rub some dirt in it, is all considered to be "healing".

Healing takes a full turn during which time there is an increased chance of being surprised. However, a rested PC regains 1d6 lost hit-points (never more than were lost in the immediately preceding fight).

Dying
PCs are incapacitated at 0 hit-points. They can crawl, beg, and mutter their famous last words, but that is all. Any unhindered foe can automatically perform a coup de grace and end it all.

A PC is slain instantly upon reaching -1 hit point per level. So a 1st level PC is slain at -1 hit-points. A 2nd level PC is slain at -2 hit-points and so on.

A PC reduced to negative hit-points who is not slain has a chance in 6 to remain conscious determined by his constitution score. Otherwise he will be unconscious.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:37 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Hit Points
The "starting" hit-points which I have rolled up during PC generation will be used on the first adventure.

Thereafter, your hit-points will be rerolled at start of each new "delve". I.e., each time you leave the safety and comfort of town looking for adventure, I'll re-roll everyone's hit-points.

When I re-roll hit-points, I will be rolling all of your hit-dice. You may have more hit-points on one adventure, and fewer on the next, or vis-versa.

Healing
Pausing for a breather and a refreshing draft, or taking time to dress and bind wounds, or just to rub some dirt in it, is all considered to be "healing".

Healing takes a full turn during which time there is an increased chance of being surprised. However, a rested PC regains 1d6 lost hit-points (never more than were lost in the immediately preceding fight).

Dying
PCs are incapacitated at 0 hit-points. They can crawl, beg, and mutter their famous last words, but that is all. Any unhindered foe can automatically perform a coup de grace and end it all.

A PC is slain instantly upon reaching -1 hit point per level. So a 1st level PC is slain at -1 hit-points. A 2nd level PC is slain at -2 hit-points and so on.

A PC reduced to negative hit-points who is not slain has a chance in 6 to remain conscious determined by his constitution score. Otherwise he will be unconscious.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 pm

verhaden wrote:
Is there a limit as to how many times a character can "refresh" or "heal" themselves in a given time frame?

As an aside, house rules are a refreshing reminder of the versatility of OD&D. I might have to borrow some of yours for my own purposes.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:09 pm

verhaden wrote:
Is there a limit as to how many times a character can "refresh" or "heal" themselves in a given time frame?

As an aside, house rules are a refreshing reminder of the versatility of OD&D. I might have to borrow some of yours for my own purposes.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
verhaden wrote:Is there a limit as to how many times a character can "refresh" or "heal" themselves in a given time frame?
You can rest-and-refresh for as long as you choose, but to be effective all rests must be consecutive, and each subsequent rest requires one more turn than the last. Hit-points restored by several "rests" in a row are not cumulative; but you may take the higher of several rolls. Thus, resting for 1 turn will restore 1d6 hp. Resting for 3 turns will restore the better of 2d6 hp. Resting for 6 turns will restore the better of 3d6 hp. And so on.

verhaden wrote:As an aside, house rules are a refreshing reminder of the versatility of OD&D. I might have to borrow some of yours for my own purposes.
Great to hear! It's all part of the fun [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:21 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
verhaden wrote:Is there a limit as to how many times a character can "refresh" or "heal" themselves in a given time frame?
You can rest-and-refresh for as long as you choose, but to be effective all rests must be consecutive, and each subsequent rest requires one more turn than the last. Hit-points restored by several "rests" in a row are not cumulative; but you may take the higher of several rolls. Thus, resting for 1 turn will restore 1d6 hp. Resting for 3 turns will restore the better of 2d6 hp. Resting for 6 turns will restore the better of 3d6 hp. And so on.

verhaden wrote:As an aside, house rules are a refreshing reminder of the versatility of OD&D. I might have to borrow some of yours for my own purposes.
Great to hear! It's all part of the fun [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 pm

tombowings wrote:
I like the consecutive binding wounds rules those are pretty spiffy.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:33 pm

tombowings wrote:
I like the consecutive binding wounds rules those are pretty spiffy.

Return to “Superseded House Rules 2010”