Delve the Twelve

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by Makofan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:14 pm

Delve the Twelve

Wiglaff will be adventuring xo as Fighter
With the deaths of Wodan and Yarpera, the marching order needs to be updated

What is your plan for getting the whole team down the chute?

Post by acodispo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm

Re: Delve the Twelve

CURRENT MARCHING ORDER
(updated for Delve 12)

...[Rhod F4]......[Grampus F4]..
.[Aldbane C4].....[Sigmund F2]..
....[Edgar]........[Maloof C4]..
.[Franklin F3]...[Wiglaff E3/2].
....[Aiden]........[Nori F2]....
...[Ivar F2].......[Phillippe]..
...[Ori F2]........[Dori F2]....

I've removed the two deceased and moved Sigmund into Wodan's place, Phillippe into the 2nd-to-last row. Let me know if anything needs adjusting!

First rough plan for descent is to purchase a timber (longer than the pit is wide) and some rope. Lay the timber across the pit, and tie our rope to it. This will allow us to lower ourselves down.

Of course any monsters wandering around on the 1st level might reasonably be expected to cut the rope, or to throw the timber down the chute after us. Better plans would involve creating anchors inside the chute or something like that.

It is probably necessary to examine the mechanism of the pit lid and see whether 1) we can open/close it from below, and 2) whether there is any structure beneath the lid that we could fasten our ropes to.

The pit isn't far from the entrance to Level 1, but we best go prepared by purchasing a couple of timbers, plenty of rope, many pitons/spikes, and a couple hammers. (Wiglaff is willing to cover the cost since it's his idea.)

Any other ideas?

In any case, Wiglaff suggests that some willing party member (either himself or Franklin) be lowered into the pit with a darkvision spell, and do some scouting, before the entire party makes the descent.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm

Hobbit on a string!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Makofan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:33 pm

I edited acodispo's post to reflect that Ivar and Sigmund are level 2

I assumed you would go down one at a time, and since there is possible danger at either end, I was just curious what order they would descend in

Post by kipper » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:36 pm

acodispo wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:23 pm
First rough plan for descent is to purchase a timber (longer than the pit is wide) and some rope. Lay the timber across the pit, and tie our rope to it. This will allow us to lower ourselves down.

Of course any monsters wandering around on the 1st level might reasonably be expected to cut the rope, or to throw the timber down the chute after us. Better plans would involve creating anchors inside the chute or something like that.

It is probably necessary to examine the mechanism of the pit lid and see whether 1) we can open/close it from below, and 2) whether there is any structure beneath the lid that we could fasten our ropes to.

The pit isn't far from the entrance to Level 1, but we best go prepared by purchasing a couple of timbers, plenty of rope, many pitons/spikes, and a couple hammers. (Wiglaff is willing to cover the cost since it's his idea.)

Any other ideas?
We should bring a grappling hook too. Ideally, we would want to attach the rope to some spikes near the top (maybe 10 feet down the pit, leaving at least 20 feet of slack in the top end of the rope), where it can't be tampered with from above while we're gone. When we come back, if the top timbers have been removed, we can climb back up to the point where it was spiked and then use the grappling hook to bring the slack end of the rope back up to the top.

We might still have a problem with the bottom end of the rope being tampered with too, I'm not sure how far it is from the bottom of the pit/ceiling of the room below to the floor?

Post by Makofan » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:53 pm

I think 100' of rope ended about 10' from the floor, IIRC

Post by mushgnome » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:21 pm

How about we use our time on the surface to craft a 110' rope ladder?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXttVyT1A4

With all the knots and stuff, it would take a few hundred feet of rope, but we can easily afford it.
Last edited by mushgnome on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by coffee » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:02 pm

Ladder sounds a lot safer than climbing down a rope. Climbing a rope in armor, even magical armor, is no fun.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by kipper » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:42 pm

I like the idea of a rope ladder!

It looks like the ceiling of the room below is 20 feet high. I'm still not sure how we can prevent our rope (or rope ladder) from being tampered with from the bottom? There are two doors, we could spike one and use Hold Portal or Wizard Lock on the other one... Does Wiglaff know either of those spells, or could we purchase a scroll with either of those spells? Alternately, Levitate or Fly would let someone re-attach the rope at the top on the way back for the rest of us.

Post by mushgnome » Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:57 pm

Franklin only weighs 35-40 pounds. I bet one of the stronger party members could throw him 10 feet in the air, maybe even 15 or 20 feet.

There is a Scottish Highland Games event where athletes fling a weight over a high-jump bar. The world record is 16 feet for a 56lb weight.

Or several party members, working together, could stretch a piece of cloth between them and use it like a trampoline to launch Franklin in the air. (Like that scene in The Big Lebowski, at Jackie Treehorn's beach party.)

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”