Magic-User strongholds?

Player character options and their spells

Post by Merctime » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:04 am

Magic-User strongholds?

In the hypertext, I don't see anything under the magic-user heading that states that they may build strongholds at 9th level and thereby tax attracted settlers. Is this something that is spoken of elsewhere in the hypertext or an omission (or possibly an intended situation) from the LBB from way back when? I'm just curious, as I'm not terribly familiar with OD&D even though it's my favorite variety. Remember, for some of us OD&D is something of a new toy! ;)

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:25 am

Re: Magic-User strongholds?

That's quite true Merctime.

OD&D doesn't mention constructing strongholds (or towers) for magic-users. Instead it discusses the magic-user's ability to enchant items and (explicitly) sell them. So while fighters and clerics can potentially earn revenue by protecting/taxing settlers, magic-users can potentially earn revenue commissioning/selling magic-items.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Merctime » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:49 am

Re: Magic-User strongholds?

Ahhh... Ok, that puts it in much more context, then! Geez... The more I 'Delve Deeper', the more I miss the boat sometimes. But this is all a great experience, really. Thanks for the heads up, Ways!

Return to “Heroes & Magic”