(049) The Blasted Abbey

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:55 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

waysoftheearth wrote:
Giant Guntram bounds across the courtyard eagerly, and seeing the tar moat is just a piddly little thing, he leaps that in a single bound to land with a resounding thud beside the "great" double door of the abbey, which although its is open, Giant Guntram would have to double over to fit through.

Ulric, Olaf, Gustave and Armando meet the in center of the bleak courtyard, about a score of paces behind Giant Guntram. They hastily discuss their strategy, for it seems Giant Guntram is too far off to listen... or enjoying himself too greatly.

There's no sign of any wolves in pursuit... only Rufus and Torban.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:28 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

rleduc wrote:
Giant Guntrum is disappointed to find the doors open! "Not country folk - they never learned to shut the gate behind them!" He returns to the others to regroup. "I won't fit in there without some rebuilding - maybe I can find t'others?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:22 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

eris wrote:
rleduc wrote:Giant Guntrum is disappointed to find the doors open! "Not country folk - they never learned to shut the gate behind them!" He returns to the others to regroup. "I won't fit in there without some rebuilding - maybe I can find t'others?"
"I thought you'd just rip the wall and roof off and charge right in." Olaf says to the giant. I think we need to get in there before whoever is inside regroups and is lying in wait for us...or...

"Say, Guntrum, there's a hole in the Abbey's wall around back. If can get us over the tar ditch we could go in that way instead of right through the front door. You could keep them occupied at the front door while we catch them by surprise from behind? How does that sound?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:07 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

rleduc wrote:
"Sounds fun!" Giant Guntrum says, all smiles. Thinking a bit (the gears noticeably grinding), he adds, "But I wouldn't mind one companion against getting lonesome. Don't know how long I'll be big."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:10 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

tonneau wrote:
"Yes", agrees Gustave, bending his neck to look up at Giant Guntrum, "perhaps your augmented girth is best deployed outside for now my good...err giant".

"As for us", he continues, casting a sharp eye around at the normal-size mortals present, "our comrades are still lost in there somewhere - I say we find them. What say you?"

Barely waiting for a reply, he drops a sly grin and is off toward the doors, blade flicking the air in anticipation...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:06 am

(049) The Blasted Abbey

danhem wrote:
eris wrote:"I thought you'd just rip the wall and roof off and charge right in." Olaf says to the giant. I think we need to get in there before whoever is inside regroups and is lying in wait for us...or...

"Say, Guntrum, there's a hole in the Abbey's wall around back. If can get us over the tar ditch we could go in that way instead of right through the front door. You could keep them occupied at the front door while we catch them by surprise from behind? How does that sound?"
"That's a good plan Olaf, but I'd rather not split up again. Let us concentrate our power and make sure no one gets cut off. Our comrades are elsewhere in this cursed place; now that we've found each other let's keep it that way. If you'd rather not go through the front doors that's fine, but let's stick together. But for now...Guntram, can you get us over that moat?"

"Where is Highbough by the way?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:16 am

(049) The Blasted Abbey

rleduc wrote:
"That great oak bridge ought to serve, or I can lift you over, I'm sure!" Giant Guntrum calls down.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:33 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

waysoftheearth wrote:
If I understand correctly; Guntram is going to lift the wooden planks that currently span the tar moat -- thereby preventing his fellows from getting across -- in order to re-position it around the back of the abbey. Is that right?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

rleduc wrote:
No - either they can cross the bridge or Giant Guntrum could carry them one or maybe two at a time. Or so Giant Guntrum says to them now.

Edit - er, carry them over the tar at a point not served by the bridge. Giant Guntrum will not himself step on the bridge!

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:58 pm

(049) The Blasted Abbey

eris wrote:
"Highbough is already inside, I think." Olaf says, "He was heading that way and then disappeared...you know how he does."

"Follow me!", Olaf shouts and then runs forward, "Leave the bridge alone for now Guntrum."

"Come on! We can get in this way.", Olaf will cross the bridge, but instead of going in the front doors will skirt around the inside of the tar pit to where the hole in the wall is located and go in that way.

Return to “Hinterlands”