(044) A Hinterlands Venture

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:35 pm

eris wrote:
doctorx wrote:[img]defaultavatar.png[/img]eris said:I'll scout ahead along the road." says Olaf, "If we see a Snork Blockade I still think we should go around it. I'll be a lot happier if the Hobs and Gobs didn't know where we are and are going."
"There is wisdom in that," Josiane concurs; "But I do not think you should go alone. Might I accompany you? If the road between here and our destination is not held by Goblins the White Lady smiles upon us indeed."
"Sure thing!" Olaf smiles, "I will enjoy the company, and the extra pair of eyes and ears."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:40 pm

eris wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Desmond nods his heads and falls into their standard open-ground marching order (minus Ulric and Dieter).

"Be careful, Olaf. Don't get out of eyesight."
"I'll not stray too far ahead." Olaf says, "Within earshot, if not eyesight."

Once everyone agrees and is ready to go, Olaf will lead the party out of the barn and take the road to the east. He will move ahead quickly until he is a long bow shot ahead of the main group, but slow down whenever he reaches a turn or twist in the road. He is scanning the sides of the road, up along the top of hills and ridges, as well as ahead. If he sees signs of anyone coming along the road toward him or stationed along the road he'll do his best to retreat to the main party unseen.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:55 pm

doctorx wrote:
eris wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Desmond nods his heads and falls into their standard open-ground marching order (minus Ulric and Dieter).

"Be careful, Olaf. Don't get out of eyesight."
"I'll not stray too far ahead." Olaf says, "Within earshot, if not eyesight."

Once everyone agrees and is ready to go, Olaf will lead the party out of the barn and take the road to the east. He will move ahead quickly until he is a long bow shot ahead of the main group, but slow down whenever he reaches a turn or twist in the road. He is scanning the sides of the road, up along the top of hills and ridges, as well as ahead. If he sees signs of anyone coming along the road toward him or stationed along the road he'll do his best to retreat to the main party unseen.
Josiane smles at Olaf's welcoming of her company, scratches Murphy behind the ears fondly and sets off in the company of the young warrior...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:06 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Very good.

Torban; you suspect that two among the gathered throng of fearless and foolhardy sorts might be the oft gossiped "Ogreslayer" and "Firestarter", but only knowing them by rumour and reputation it is impossible to be certain.

Olaf and Josiane (both agile in their mail coats) stride off to scout the road ahead.

After a couple of minutes grace, the remainder of the company (including Torban) march out, leaving only the suspected Firestarter and Ogreslayer behind.

Secretly, Torban is glad it is not him walking right into the hands of that particular pair!

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:13 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Rufus! From a short distance, you see most of the company leaving the run down barn.

But surely that is not all of them... by your figuring they've left someone behind. What could he possibly be doing in the barn?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:44 pm

tonneau wrote:
Gustave gives Dieter and Ulric a half-salute, before exiting the barn, happy to be underway. He shuffles up the ranks of the walking troop until beside the newcomer, and offers him something of an apologetic grin.

"Torben wasnt it?", he says by way of greeting, "I don't mean for us to get off on the wrong foot, but those in our position need to be somewhat cautious you understand - especially when it comes to unannounced guests jumping out of haystacks at our 'secret' rendezvous...ha!", he says, giving the chap a comradely slap on the shoulder, "But if our dwarf judges you worthy...", he leaves it unfinished, though his eyes radiate warmth.

"So...a betting man eh? I dont mind a flutter myself", he continues, rummaging around his pack for a few moments without breaking stride, before extracting a bent-looking object that may once have come from a bake-house.
"Pastry?" he says, offering it with a raised brow and a grin.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:37 am

verhaden wrote:
Torben

"I remember traveling to the big cities as a child with my father--haggard folks doused with sweet smelling oils would sing songs in exchange for copper pieces outside of the merchant districts." Torben smiles, lost in the memory. "They sang 'All that glitters is not gold.'"

Torben turns down the pastry, his face turning more serious. "So, what's the job? 'Tax' collecting? Intimdation? I have experience with fire oil, if need be." he boasts.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:19 am

danhem wrote:
Once the others have gone, Ulric looks for a good spot in the barn to watch the road.

"I can use my magic to subdue this spy if need be," he offers to Dieter. "No blood needs to be spilled. We may even gain a new ally from the effort."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:56 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The barn is south-west of Ket, while the road heads south-east from Ket, so it is not visible from the barn at all.

However, I will assume that Ulric means to watch the "way" back toward Ket from whence his quarry will presumably come. Across rolling fields that are being tilled ready for sowing or lying fallow.

The field around "the barn" is on an inconvenient down-slope away from Ket, and is most overgrown with knee-high weeds. There are no further farmsteads beyond it.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough doesn't trust this newcomer with his scoundrel's beard and talk of fire oil. "I'd rather be in Ket making golems than on this silly nun's quest," he mutters to himself in High Elf, kicking at a dried cow patty.

Return to “Hinterlands”