(044) A Hinterlands Venture

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 pm

eris wrote:
tonneau wrote:"Well", observes Gustave, casting an eye about the assembled crew, "here we are again, back in this...barn"

"I am all for fresh air and err...not so fresh...err...", he pauses, raising a mailed boot clad in cow product, "...but I assume we do have a plan of some sort? I believe this is your outing master Olaf?"
Olaf laughs, "As much yours as mine, although, the results of it might aid me more than you, Gustave."

"Who has the map?" Olaf asks, "It served us well twice before, perhaps it will serve us as well this time."

"I was mostly out of it when the Mother Superior was detailing our task, but wasn't it an old temple we were to find?" Olaf says adding, "Somewhere over toward the mountains, wasn't it?"

OOC: You know we should have sat down with that map while back in the house and worked out a route. But gaggle of geese we are, we failed to do so. So, do we know where we are going? Do we have an order of march? A plan of any kind? Not so much! No wonder the life of an Adventurer is so exciting...and short! [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 pm

eris wrote:
verhaden wrote:Torben

A bleary eyed Torben reaches quickly for his spear and rises, but the bits of straw and hay sticking out of his beard and echos of last night's merriment prove the act to be more amusing than threatening.

"I don't want any trouble," he says, with his back against the far wall of the barn. "I'll gather my things and be on my way."
Olaf puts hand to sword, then seeing the being is a man and his state, he lifts it from the sword and holds it out to him smiling, "Well met, good fellow! We mean you no harm. It wasn't so long ago that we did as you must have down and bedded down in here for the night."

Hearing Jos ask his name, Olaf asks a different question, "What brings you to these lands, my good Sir?"

OOC: Conversation follows, leading shortly to an invitation to join us on our adventure, I suspect. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 pm

verhaden wrote:
Torben

Staying still for a moment, he slowly relaxes and rests his spear over his shoulder. "I am called Torben," he says, pausing a moment to eavesdrop on the background chatter. "As for my business here in Ket--I blow where the wind carries me."

He hefts up his spear again. "Rumor has it there's gold and silver to be found in the hinterlands." Torben looks around the group. "I know my way around the field of battle... and I don't snore."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:OOC: You know we should have sat down with that map while back in the house and worked out a route. But gaggle of geese we are, we failed to do so. So, do we know where we are going? Do we have an order of march? A plan of any kind? Not so much! No wonder the life of an Adventurer is so exciting...and short! Image
I believe the Mother Superior instructed you thusly:
"In the Hinterlands two days walk yonder, there stands an abbey. Only a year ago it was the rural sister-convent to our Cloister here in Ket, but alas, it was sacked by villainous brigands of the hills, and the Sisters run out or slain. We have not dared return. However, there are are sacred objects there, and treasures, of great value to us. I charge you with visiting the abbey, and securing it once again if possible. If not I would have you searching the place for our Holy texts and chattels, and return them to us here."
Ulric has the Hinterlands map with him:

( Note that a more detailed version (but bigger file) is available http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56 ... map1mb.pnghere )

You will note the abbey, almost in the exact center of the map. It stands at the very foot of the Hinterlands, two days by road from Ket (if all is fair and good).

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 pm

danhem wrote:
verhaden wrote:... and I don't snore."
"That's the best news I've heard in quite some time," Ulric says to the stranger. "If you can use that spear and keep a cool head we could use you."

Ulric waves Olaf, Dieter, and Gustave over to a corner.

"I have the map here Olaf," Ulric says. "I thought it best to plan our trip far from eavesdroppers."

OOC: Of course I did. [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

"From the good Mother's description, the abbey is a two days walk toward the Hinterlands. Here I think, past the ruins we first explored in this infernal land."

Ulric jabs his finger at a spot on the map.

OOC: Hmmm, the larger image of the Hinterlands map no longer appears to be available.

Edit: Cross-posting fun! But the map is still not at the link provided.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:31 pm

tonneau wrote:
Gustave raises two shapely brows at the sudden flurry of activity following his humble query regarding their quest. He is most perturbed by Josiane's air of excessive glee, and makes a personal note to ask her where she found the mushrooms on the way to the barn.

Dealing with things in correct military order, he first addresses the unkempt vagabond who ejaculated (prematurely too, some might argue) from the fetid haystack, before turning his well honed skills of administration to provide counsel to the ailing spell-caster with the flaming fingers.

"Torben eh?", he says to the first, brow furrowing somewhat (or is it nose?), "I dont suppose you have any wine on you, do you?", then, without waiting for a reply, he turns to Dorgan, "What do you think my friend? A worthy companion, or mere rabbit fodder?". Again not waiting for a reply, he turns back to the newcomer, "If you pass muster with our dwarf here, you may join us, if not...well lets just say you are lucky you are not a gu-wore", he finishes somewhat cryptically before walking off, job done, to join Ulric with the map.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:18 am

eris wrote:
"Friends coming out here I noticed someone following us." Olaf says to the group.

"I couldn't tell whether he was a Snork or Man, nor if he be friend or foe." Olaf continues "but I think we should find out which before we set out. We don't want to lead any foes to our destination."

"I suggest most of us start off together but one or two remain here to come up.behind our shadow." Olaf smiles grimly, "Come up behind him and take him...find out why he is following us."

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:37 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote: OOC: Hmmm, the larger image of the Hinterlands map no longer appears to be available.
Sorry about that -- should be fixed now Image

Also, here is a map with some of the know locations marked on it:

The "Rural Abbey" is where you are (probably) headed...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 am

eris wrote:
Ah! You beat me to it. I deleted my map. I like yours better. I had the Abbey's location wrong anyway. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:14 am

eris wrote:
Referring to the map (ooc so kindly provided by Ways), I think we should head out like we are going toward the keep for an hour or two, so better to throw off followers (ooc and catch Rufus unless he approaches us directly), then curve up to the road and continue along it.

"There are reports of Snorks blockading the roads out of and into Ket." Olaf says, "We should head toward the old keep and then curve up to the road. I'd like to avoid Hobs and Snorks if we can. The less they know about our business the better I'll like it."

Return to “Hinterlands”