(044) A Hinterlands Venture

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:41 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
And so it is then, that the Guore sleeps on in Ulric's room and the company finds themselves leaving Ket at first light in twos and threes.

It isn't nearly so quiet a time as one might guess, with all the farming folk already taking up their pre-dawn chores. The main gate is opened as soon as sunlight falls upon it, and the day guards cast only a cursory glace at folk leaving the town -- they seem to be more preoccupied with the ration of hot bread and coffee that has been broken out.

The little knot of soldiers give Dieter and Ulric wary glances, but say nothing as they pass. Doubtless they've heard of the "Ogreslayer" and mayhap even "The Sage" too, but it is impossible to say whether they connect those heroic names to the faces. Nothing comes of it in any event, and with half an hour our company is reforming at the broken down old barn in a back paddock some of them used last winter.

The whole farm seems long abandoned now, making it an ideal place to meet up.

There is scarcely room for everyone inside by the time Josiane and Dorgan arrive with Murphy the mule in tow.

It is dawn on a spring day.

You are not more than two miles south-west of Ket.

What now?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 pm

tonneau wrote:
"Well", observes Gustave, casting an eye about the assembled crew, "here we are again, back in this...barn"

"I am all for fresh air and err...not so fresh...err...", he pauses, raising a mailed boot clad in cow product, "...but I assume we do have a plan of some sort? I believe this is your outing master Olaf?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough memorizes the Torrefaction and the Smaze.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:48 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Highbough memorizes the Torrefaction and the Smaze.
Very good.

I will assume this occurred in the small hours before departing Ket.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:22 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Torben.

Your adventure starts... now!

You had been scrounging a living on the outskirts of Ket for a week or so, labouring on the local farms for food, selling firewood and a few rabbits on the markets for loose change, and then gambling most of it away at the night fights in Ket (run by those d**n Snorks, of course).

Last night you bedded down under a pile of old hay in a disused barn. You didn't expect anyone would disturb you here, especially not before dawn! But lo and behold, you are awakened most rudely as a throng of unexpected visitors arrive at the barn...

What ever is a Man to do?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:50 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan walks into the barn and sees that everyone else has arrived before he and Josiane. Eh, what's this?

"If I make my count correctly, and I do, there's an extra Man in here. Who's the new guy?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 pm

verhaden wrote:
Torben

A bleary eyed Torben reaches quickly for his spear and rises, but the bits of straw and hay sticking out of his beard and echos of last night's merriment prove the act to be more amusing than threatening.

"I don't want any trouble," he says, with his back against the far wall of the barn. "I'll gather my things and be on my way."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond starts to take a step forward to greet the stranger, then remembers Mondes and hesitates, pulling the hooded cloak down a little lower to keep their faces in shadow.

Maybe he isn't the first person to make acquaintances for the party...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

doctorx wrote:
verhaden wrote:Torben

A bleary eyed Torben reaches quickly for his spear and rises, but the bits of straw and hay sticking out of his beard and echos of last night's merriment prove the act to be more amusing than threatening.

"I don't want any trouble," he says, with his back against the far wall of the barn. "I'll gather my things and be on my way."
"I'm sure trouble is the last thing anyone intends," says Josiane to the stranger with a pretty smile. She is in a particularly good mood this morning. Her dreams have been filled with good omens and enlightenment. She is sure she is following the path her White Lady has intended for her and has as a result been marching along with a happy smile on her face, singing trail songs to Murphy the mule, who has been well-fed, watered and groomed and is therefore hopefully as happy as she is...

"Greetings to you, friend," she adds to the bleary-eyed vagabond standing before them; "I pray you, be at peace. We mean you no ill. I am Josiane. How are you named?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:38 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough glowers.

Return to “Hinterlands”