The First Adventure


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 1690

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Dougal nods and wonders aloud, "If these are located elsewhere in this cavern, it would be very good news indeed! But even having it here is a good thing, especially if we run out of torches or oil."
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 585

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Willie fills everybody in on the equipment chest, shows everybody his new spikes, and, once the turn of rest is over, is ready to explore westward following the established marching order.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 393

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 am

Re: The First Adventure

Potty spends his time investigating the puffballs.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1106

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:51 am

Re: The First Adventure

Turn 6

Potty is confident of his identification. These puffballs are in the stage where they are fully grown, yet still firm-fleshed. In other words, the best time to eat them. They are really big; some are taller than even a hobbet. You couldn't fit a whole one back through the entrance tunnel, which would explain why Frederick harvests a chunk at a time.

Fig. 1a, Common Cave Puffballs (with giant's head shown for scale)

Image

Potty notices that some of the puffballs are disturbed, indicating this is a somewhat high-traffic area. He sees a faint set of footprints connecting the entrance tunnel to the equipment trunk in the east. The path appears to have been made by a small number of hobbet-sized creatures, carefully picking their way through the puffball patch with respect for the environment. If Willie and Dougal follow this path, then they'll be able to regroup with the party at their full movement rate and without damaging any puffballs.

Potty also sees a more obvious set of hobbet-sized tracks leading due west from the entrance tunnel and into the unknown. Whoever passed this way did so hastily and without care for the health of the puffballs, hacking through with a machete or axe. Looking closer, Potty sees a trail of red flecks... blood!

Image
User avatar

Posts: 1106

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 am

Re: The First Adventure

Rest Turns: A Public Service Announcement

Your friendly neighborhood DM plans to use these rest turns as a record keeping and "status check" opportunity. If necessary, I will give a quick rundown of any injuries, experience, treasure, and other noteworthy details. Also I will be updating the master reference map only on the rest turns. This loosely reflects the in-character experience of Hobbets using the rest turns to update their maps, log events in their journals, or just generally process and reflect upon their recent experiences.

You can use the rest turns to "talk amongst yourselves" and discuss your next move. It's a good time to take a "big picture view" of your goals for the next (in-game) hour. It's also a good opportunity to make your DM aware of your marching order and any "standard operating procedures" such as searching for secret doors or checking for traps.

Players should get in the habit of checking their character sheets on the rest turns. Make sure your stats are up to date and that you have accounted for any treasure earned. Give your inventory a quick check to make sure it is up to date.

In that spirit, would you all please take a moment to copy your character sheet from Character Creation to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=836

Be sure to include any purchases from the Adventure Club Equipment Cache (and deduct your gold pieces accordingly). You all are welcome to purchase any additional equipment you like, at the standard prices, items 5gp or less.
User avatar

Posts: 151

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:25 am

Re: The First Adventure

Chegs has everything he needs so far, but likes the convenience of the chests & also hopes that there are others. He sits down fishes out some cheese & one of his last fresh apples to each, washing them down with some water. "How are you doing lads? I am a bit nervous to be honest, but I am up for this new experience", says Chegs with a bit of wonder in his voice.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 16481

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Tet takes a rest and tucks heartily into his rations...
is this the second day since we set off?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1106

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 am

Re: The First Adventure

It is the day 2 of the Adventure, and also December 2nd on the Hobbet calendar. :)

What will be Tet's standard operating procedure with regard to torch consumption? Shall we assume he keeps one burning at all times, or would he conserve torches by lighting them only as needed?

Last but not least, you forgot about his turnip-stacking prize: a bottle of Missus Pebble's Turnip Schnapps, equivalent to a potion of cure light wounds! He earned that sore back. :)
User avatar

Posts: 585

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Re: The First Adventure

After having settled in for a bit of a rest and filling everybody in on the equipment chest, Willie says:

"I say we follows the beaten path westward. This must be where our friends upstairs came from, maybe it will lead us somewhere interesting!"

Interesting and bloody, apparently, but that's not going to deter Willibald.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1690

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: The First Adventure

Dougal nods in agreement, thinking back to the adventurers they'd met earlier and the bandaged wounds they had, as he eats a bit of food and rests near a puffball.

"Think we can use some of this puffball for food, Potty? Might be good to save our rations for when we need them, if we have food here that we can eat."
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software