Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe


Mushgnome's Lovecraftian PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:42 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Great noggin noodling, Chet! declares Tet, and assists his fellow to separate an armload of turnips from the wagon and deposit them between Mr Moose and the cart, so that the albino monster is sure to encounter them en route.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1101

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:43 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

The duration of Potty's Speak With Animals spell ought to be 6 turns, as per the clerical spell of the same name. Apologies for the mix up!
User avatar

Posts: 1101

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:52 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mr. Moose gobbles down two 20-pound sacks of turnips. Potty understands him to say: "Still hungry, still hungry, still hungry."

The oxen panic and stampede! The farmer is thrown to the ground and Potty narrowly avoids being trampled. The cart careens down the path with Willie on board!

The moose towers over Tet and Chegs, looking confused and hungry.

Oxen reaction check 2d6 - 1 = 3
Albino Moose reaction check 2d6 + 1 = 6
Wikipedia says "A typical moose... can eat up to 71 lb of food per day."
User avatar

Posts: 1689

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Startled to see his cush ride lurch away, Dougal jumps out of his hiding spot and runs after the cart, hoping to either hop aboard and grab the reins or grab them from the ground and stop the oxen from running.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 581

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:18 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

"Yipes!" exclaims Willie as he's involuntarily relocated.

Trying to think, he grabs two more sacks & tosses them down onto the road behind the cart.

Then he makes his way carefully forward & tries to calm the oxen!

"Good oxen! Sweet oxen! Slow down! Whoa! Whoa!"
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 1+2, hp 8/8, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 151

Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:27 am

Post Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:30 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Chegs says in a strained but calm voice, "Oi! Boyos, help me with the turnips, maybe it is still hungry". Cheg slowly moves towards the bags of turnips Willie tossed over the side of the cart.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5
User avatar

Posts: 393

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Potty hightails it for the woods. He has had enough of acting as the arbitrator for crazy turnip-loving beasts!
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16479

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Tet huffs over to help Chegs with lugging the turnips. Someone betta catch our ride! he worries aloud.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1101

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

One hobbet runs into the woods, and another jumps out! Dougal emerges from his hiding place and chases after the runaway wagon. Potty discovers a beautifully-varnished artist's bracket.

Chegs and Tet offer an additional 40 pounds of turnips to the albino moose. The plan works! Mr. Moose eats his fill and then seems to lose interest in the hobbets. He lumbers off into the woods, singing a happy song that only Potty can understand: "Neeps neeps neeps. Yum yum yum. Neeps neeps neeps. Yum yum yum."

Willie fights to get the oxen back under control. Dougal is able to catch up and helps to calm the team. The wagon comes to a halt and the turnips are safe. "Thank you boys, thank you," says the Farmer.

100xp to everyone! for pacifying the giant moose.
User avatar

Posts: 1101

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:12 pm

Post Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:11 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Farmer Skip calls to his oxen by name and hums a soothing folk song to comfort them. Once the situation is under control, he turns to our heroes and says: "We can spare a few bags of turnips for a hungry lord of the forest, now can't we, lads? I'm just glad the cart din't overturn, or worse. Come along now. Once we cross over this ridge, we'll enter the Miskatonic Valley, and soon reach our campsite at Peapod Springs. This time tomorrow, I plan to be safe in Hornpipe, eating a stack of pancakes and counting my money from the sale of this crop."
PreviousNext

Return to Deeper Arkham

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software