(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 339

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

"Stench?" says Zax, using his well-proportioned sniffer to ply the air - as an aurochs might - "What stench?"
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1602

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:40 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

waysoftheearth wrote:Leudigar edges his way between two statues, muffles a bell with the cloth from a dead monk's robes, then squats to pass under the chain as he lifts it marginally with one hand. From there it's an easy sidle about 20ft along to the top of the old stone ramp that runs about 40ft down to the central hub of the chamber... still nothing seems to move, but the awful stink seems even more present here.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp 2/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16290

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

When Leudigar, Zax, and Akbar are all safely at the bottom Zem the dwarf begins his run of the "chain-maze". The path is well-trod now, and nothing prevents him from reaching the top of ramp safely and quietly...
So at this point in time, I have Leudigar, Zax, Akbar at the bottom of the ramp, about 20ft from the near-side of the archway. Zem is near the top of the ramp, so 30-ish-ft from either the lead group, or Fried and Karl behind him, still in/near the secret entry.

Time slows almost to a standstill between Zem's foot falls as the ref determines how, exactly, to resolve what happens next...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16290

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem is about to step onto the ramp. Leudigar, Zax, and Akbar are huddled in the shadowy corner at the ramp's base. Zax, nose in the air, is noting a tangible increase in an ominous pong that he can only think to describe as "snake-breath"...

"Your sscent may be sstrong," woos a lullaby voice, "but not wholly unpleassant, me thinkss..."

Fried and Karl are on the mezzanine among the statues, overlooking the scene from the secret tunnel... from where they observe a thick, dark serpent---fronted by the upper-torso of a green woman---emerge from the darkness to slide into the archway, immediately grasping the stone work with one hand so as to peer around the corner...
The snake-woman peers around the corner.
The referee checks for surprise.
Have the players surprised the snake-woman? 1d6=2, so no.
Has the snake-woman surprised the players? 1d6=3, so no.

Neither party is surprised, so both parties are aware the other is there before anything "happens"... the ref decides she has some words to say; why not?

There is no need to dice for encounter distance, because the scenario dictates positions. Leudigar, Zax, and Akbar are all 20--30ft away. Zem is 60ft away; Fried and Karl are about 60ft away as the crow flies, but perhaps double that on foot.

What orders say you for the forthcoming turn?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1602

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

"Avoid its gaze," Leudigar hisses to the others in Gothic. He aims at where the creature would appear around the corner and then lowers his eyes to the floor to watch for the body to appear...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp 2/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]

Posts: 493

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:10 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Freid whispers, "Missile fire from up here would be a good thing."

What have we got up here that we can shoot down on this monster?
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 2/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1461

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:17 am

Location: San Diego, Ca

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zem looks down and concentrates on moving down the ramp quickly and as sure footed-ly as possible. Whatever this thing is those below are in danger.

With no missile weapon and no space in any case I'm moving this round regardless.
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow
Zem the Dwarf Fighter (MV 7", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 3/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+sh+helm, waraxe[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 336

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Gah! Is it possible for Akbar to first bring his shield up in his left hand, while also readying the arbalest in his right hand and firing at the snake? Imagine sort of leaning the crossbow up against the edge of the shield so he can at least get off one shot.

That would be Akbar's first action.

His next action would be to turn and somehow signal to one of the party up the ramp, using only the word "akbar" and some hand gestures, to try to grab the mirror from the hallway — it might come in handy.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 339

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Still marginally distracted pondering over what 'stench' the long-legs was whinging about, Zax slips fluidly into combat mode. He is on his feet in the blink of an eye (it is not far up after all) and whips two throwing axes at the creature with barely the twitch of a moustache whisker.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 591

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:31 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Karl has a bow but it would take too long to ready it; instead he'll advance with his sword and shield so he can be in position to offer support.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software