(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1619

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

First Leudigar examines the chain. Is it gold? silver? iron? A chain of the slave or a chain of the wealthy?

Then, taking a hint from the mirror, Leudigar uses his own steel mirror to try and peer into the room past the statue, using its reflection and without actually looking into the room.

ah ha! I love it when you get to use the semi-obscure inventory items you pick up in Chargen!
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]

Posts: 505

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Is it posed to cast a javelin through the doorway into the passage/room beyond? Like perhaps someone was about to throw a javelin and was turned into stone right in the doorway?
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 342

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Akbar takes a look at the tall mirror to determine its rough dimensions, whether it has a frame of any sort, and whether it is mounted or appears to simply be leaning on the wall of the corridor.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 349

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zax is wondering why all these long-legs are blocking his way.

He bustles up the queue to see whats going on, muttering various forms of "'skyuze", "out t' way", "hrr hmm", "comin' thru" en route.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar extracts his mirror (a bit of an operation in the tight passage) and finally gets a better angle on the statue, and so decides that the chain is more a security measure than jewelery or bond. It runs from one statue to another in a long series, with small bells suspended between them. The whole of it has a basic, utilitarian look.

As for the rest of the chamber; it's almost as large as the hydra room, and likewise; it is obscurely shaped like an arrow-head, and runs through three descending terraces, each about 10ft below the one above. The secret tunnel opens onto the top terrace, which is inhabited by a dozen or so other statues.

The mid-terrace appears to support some kind of semi-collapsed wall, around which he can make out two brass braziers which provide the dim red illumination. Beyond that, the lower terrace is all in shadow... but for the unmistakable glimmer of gold. Could those bulky shadows down there be piles of... treasure? Hard to tell from way up here...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1619

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar

Leudigar examines the chain to see how many bells are suspended from each chain. Just one? Multiple? If just one, then he might attempt to silence the bell by wrapping it in cloth and then removing it from the chain. If multiple, then he looks to see if he can slide past the statue and under the chain without causing the chain to move.

If that appears impossible to do, then he backs away, turns away from the opening, and whispers to the others that there is an alarm system rigged at the entrance.


Maybe there is a way around to the main entrance? This passage is west of the monk room, so if we go out the north door of the monk room and turn left, we should come to an entrance to this room on the left hand side, if it is there...
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]

Posts: 505

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Yes, but entering by a secret tunnel is probably safer, and might give us an advantage over whatever is in that room. And you know a big bad is in that room. :)

How about wrapping a hand around the bells to keep the clapper from hitting the bell and causing it to ring? Stuffing cloth inside the bell while holding the clapper might silence it without having to remove it.

You know by this time we probably have enough XP to level up, if we could find a place to "rest"...or get "back to town." We don't have much in the way of gold, though, and I think we're all dirt poor, I know know Freid is, so we need to pick up some loot before exiting. We're also how many days from town, and how are we on food and water? Speaking of which, how is time progressing (Real Time has been years, but I think we're still on the first day in the dungeon Game Time)?
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:37 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

There appears to be only a single chain loped around a series of necks, so that it dangles or runs taut between the various statues. There are fist-sized cowbells strung out along the chain so that there are only only three in immediate sight; one hanging about the neck of the nearest statue, then one a few feet either side between this statue and that to the left and right.

Having identified the risk, Leudigar is reasonably confident he could muffle one bell and then slip under the chain without sounding it.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16346

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Eris wrote:You know by this time we probably have enough XP to level up, if we could find a place to "rest"...or get "back to town." We don't have much in the way of gold, though, and I think we're all dirt poor, I know know Freid is, so we need to pick up some loot before exiting.

Technically, XP come primarily from gold. In this game I have helped it along with 1 gp = 6 XP and also 1,000 post and annual milestones.

Eris wrote:We're also how many days from town, and how are we on food and water? Speaking of which, how is time progressing (Real Time has been years, but I think we're still on the first day in the dungeon Game Time)?


If memory serves it was a 3--4 day hike from the camp to the fortress. I think it might have been post-midday when you first descended... if so, then I'd guess it would probably be late in day by now.

I'm trusting you guys to keep your inventory up to date, but I'd hazard most players began with one week of supplies. Perhaps a few of your purchased some extra? Getting back might be a challenge if you run out of supplies...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1619

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar attempts to silence a cowbell and slip under the chain.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2+2, hp 9/9, FC 2 Men, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software