(040) Vestal Visitors

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:05 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan wants to jump in and reassure the Mother that they'll swear to complete the task even after Olaf is healed, but he figures the smart ones in the company (i.e. Ulric) should be doing the negotiating.

So he holds his tongue and waits for the Mother's response to Desmond's request.

OOC: I agree with everything suggested below.
danhem wrote:Very nice. Of course clearing the basement should come first. Then we'll need to hire a few guards for the manse and a few pack bearers for the trip and then purchase plenty of trail rations (6 days per person), oil, torches, and water-proof sacks.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:33 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

tonneau wrote:
"We accept", says Gustave, suddenly rousing from his uncharacteristic quiet.

"Indeed, we have had dealings with the more feral nomads of the Hinterlands before, my dear...holy woman, and I must admit I relish the opportunity to cross paths with them again. We will accomplish what you ask. Indeed, perhaps, your people can furnish us with a bird, that we may inform you when the job is done."

He strides to stand behind Desmond, placing a hand on the hobbits shoulder, "As for what our most eloquent hobbit begs of you, I must back his humble request with my own. You have my word this we will complete this task - but our progress will be only the more swift and assured if our brother is returned to full health ere we depart."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:52 am

(040) Vestal Visitors

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:The Mother Superior winces sharply at Ulric's offer, "I see right away that your sense of duty and largesse does not extend to your purse, young scholar," she scalds Ulric, "Apparently much yet remains for you to learn from your studies. Devotions and labour it shall be then..."

She sniffs and clears her throat as she considers a moment.

"There is a task I would see done for which your various... talents... might be appropriate."

She eyes the company members each in turn, assessing their merit.

"In the Hinterlands two days walk yonder, there stands an abbey. Only a year ago it was the rural sister-convent to our Cloister here in Ket, but alas, it was sacked by villainous brigands of the hills, and the Sisters run out or slain. We have not dared return. However, there are are sacred objects there, and treasures, of great value to us. I charge you with visiting the abbey, and securing it once again if possible. If not I would have you searching the place for our Holy texts and chattels, and return them to us here."

"If you can do this thing I will grant your friend the Holy Absolution without further recompense. What say you to this?"
"Speaking for myself I would be honored to undertake this task. " Olaf says.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
(2d6)

The Mother seems unconvinced of your virtuous intentions.

"I have seen many Men of your type come, and go by, in my time here. Some are more faithful, and some are less. Whichever you may be is yet to be seen."

She clears her throat awkwardly before continuing.

"I will begin the Absolution in advance only on the condition that you leave goods or coin to the value of at least one thousand silver shillings in the care of the Cloister. These will be returned to you, and the Absolution completed, upon your return with relics, or at the very least worthy intelligence if our chattels cannot be recovered."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

doctorx wrote:
"I am no Man, Mother Most Holy," says Josiane quietly but firmly; "And I pledge to you in Saint Tamar's name that I shall undertake your quest and fulfill it, or fall in the attempt. Please do all in your power to help our wounded friend."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:54 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan says, "Ain't my place ta say how others spend their coin, but I'm with the Miss here if'n there's a quest ta be completed."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:41 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

tonneau wrote:
"A worthy condition to be sure", butts in Gustave before Josiane says something that might taint her chances of sainthood, "We would consider nothing less, and I am sure suitable items of such value can be found among us for your...hostage."

"My dear Ulric, if you would be so kind to keep a ledger, perhaps we can all make a contribution, such that the holy madame may begin her labour", he says placing his offering on the table.

(Gustave 'lends' 5gp, leaving himself something for supplies - he has no items of value to contribute)

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:47 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
Regarding the "hostage"; Olaf's scepter would count enough for a good share in it. There are a number of valuable tomes present, including Pelenwin's writings which have not been found yet. And then there is pocket change.

Regarding security, the Cloister is probably at least as secure as your own accommodations in any case.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:56 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
(Assuming the Holy Absolution is to go ahead...)

"Your best intentions are well appreciated," replies the Mother, perhaps somewhat wearily."If I am to perform any miracle here I will need this room cleared!"

The sisters immediately begin to usher everyone excepting the patient out of the room, and making preparations for the forthcoming ritual.

"Have food and drink brought in to sustain us, and do not disturb us until dawn!" instructs the Mother, and the Sister swarm about in a flurry of efficient movement to make all this so...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 am

(040) Vestal Visitors

danhem wrote:
"Your terms are acceptable," Ulric says to the Mother. "We thank you for your efforts to help our comrade."

On leaving the room Ulric addresses the others.

"I have a potion and a few scrolls that I can offer as part of the 'hostage.' There may be other items we can offer; Wibert's coins for example. Perhaps Pelenwin has something we could use as well? I will check his room; I know some of you may find such an act distasteful. Rest assured we will get these items back and can seek out next of kin after we have completed this quest. Unless we all die in the attempt in which case it matters little."

With that, Ulric goes to search Pelenwin's room.

Return to “Hinterlands”