(040) Vestal Visitors

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:30 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Some of you at least have your manners about you," grumbles the Mother.

(2d6)

"Sit yourself before me, young man, so that I might see this wound that ails you," she instructs Olaf, and then to several of her Sisters, "Prepare him for examination,"

Meanwhile Dieter looks about for any "enforcer" among the Sisters, but they all appear to be meek little women. None are more than shoulder high on him, and none carry anything remotely weapon-like.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:32 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote: Should Guntrum make an appearance, the dwarf will slide over to him and whisper, "Mebbe now's a good time to show the Mother the sword you got, and see if'n she's got any ideas on what ta do wit' it."
(The Sisters are against weaponry of all sorts, and are not especially likely to know anything about the blade...)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
(Assuming Olaf complies...)

Half a dozen Sisters move swiftly (and tacitly) into action at their Mother's command. Several roll out a thin mattress and cover it in white sheets. Another pair gently but firmly have Olaf out of his attire and into a sheer white robe, and laid down upon the mattress before the Mother. Others are preparing incense burners, breaking out stores of herbs and balms, stoking the fireplace, preparing hot water at the hearth, and uttering a quiet Holy mantra in unison, and so on.

Olaf find himself lulled into a state of calmness by all this, and even the Mother prodding at the foul hurts does not distress him overly...

The Mother makes several wincing noises and mutters to herself as be applies various ointments and salves, and tests herbs on Olaf's scars. Then she announces, "It is as Sister Margarette reported; these wounds are unnaturally evil and only our most Holy benediction can hope to cure them."

She sighs a deep sigh, and appears very old and tired...

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:50 am

(040) Vestal Visitors

eris wrote:
Olaf complies, although he blushes a bright red at the disrobing and probing by the women.

"How can we make this easier for you Holy Mother? " Olaf asks.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:39 am

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
"It is no small thing you ask of me," replies the Mother gravely.

"The weight of many years drag heavily at me, and the Holy Absolution is not without its toll. I would take on this burden in exchange for your bequeath of one thousand silver shillings to the good works of the Cloister. I see here that you are energetic and enterprising sorts who can spare as much."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:34 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

danhem wrote:
"I understand the magnitude of our request Mother," Ulric says gravely. "Such deeds are not without their cost. As I said, the wounds you see upon this brave man were delivered by creatures that live beneath this very city. This evil may threaten the lives of all that dwell here. We need Olaf's strength to help drive this evil from Ket."

Ulric pauses for a moment to allow these words to settle on the Mother and her Sisters then continues.

"Perhaps there is a deed or service that we could provide to your Cloister in exchange for this benediction in addition to a donation of 250 silver shillings for your good works?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:04 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Mother Superior winces sharply at Ulric's offer, "I see right away that your sense of duty and largesse does not extend to your purse, young scholar," she scalds Ulric, "Apparently much yet remains for you to learn from your studies. Devotions and labour it shall be then..."

She sniffs and clears her throat as she considers a moment.

"There is a task I would see done for which your various... talents... might be appropriate."

She eyes the company members each in turn, assessing their merit.

"In the Hinterlands two days walk yonder, there stands an abbey. Only a year ago it was the rural sister-convent to our Cloister here in Ket, but alas, it was sacked by villainous brigands of the hills, and the Sisters run out or slain. We have not dared return. However, there are are sacred objects there, and treasures, of great value to us. I charge you with visiting the abbey, and securing it once again if possible. If not I would have you searching the place for our Holy texts and chattels, and return them to us here."

"If you can do this thing I will grant your friend the Holy Absolution without further recompense. What say you to this?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

doctorx wrote:
Josiane lifts her head at the Mother Most Holy's words, her eyes bright with excitement.

Now this was exactly the sort of thing her White Lady instructed her to take to the road and do in the first place...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:19 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

danhem wrote:
Ulric simply nods his head at the Mother's chastisement.

"That is all too true learned Mother," he says. "I will accept your labor if my companions, most especially Olaf, are willing."

OOC: Very nice. Of course clearing the basement should come first. Then we'll need to hire a few guards for the manse and a few pack bearers for the trip and then purchase plenty of trail rations (6 days per person), oil, torches, and water-proof sacks.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:21 pm

(040) Vestal Visitors

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond shakes his heads slowly, thinking of all the distractions that could happen in the two-day journey to the abbey.

Then a thought crosses his mind... is she talking about healing Olaf before or after this quest is completed? How much time does Olaf have in his present state?

He takes a deep breath, steps out from behind the Gustave, and slowly walks over to the reposed Olaf, careful to keep his hood pulled down.

He turns to the direction of the Mother Superior and kneels, heads bowed low.

"Merciful Mother. Olaf is one of the most courageous men we... er, I know - he stepped between... me... and certain death and his reward was the wounds you just examined. This knowledge weighs heavily on my shoulders and my conscious."

He pauses, wishing he'd thought his words out better, but quickly continues. "Is there anything that can be done now? Before our quest? It seems to me our chances of success would be greater with an accomplished fighter less burdened by such wounds and..." he starts to raise his head to look her in the face, but catches himself and bows even lower. "... and we fear for his life. Who knows how long his body can hold out against these poisons."

Finished, Desmond maintains his subservient pose until the Mother Superior speaks.

Return to “Hinterlands”