(036) The Remains of the Day

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Ways, can you confirm he still has 10 of 12 nips left in his hip flask?
That is correct.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
doctorx wrote: Did she recognise any of the urchins capering after them? She would like to speak with them if she does..
Alas no, just more grubby children...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:22 pm

doctorx wrote:
tonneau wrote:Gustaves usual carefree demeanor is somewhat dampened as he regards the shadowy tomb in the grey light of late afternoon.

"Err...it may be prudent for those with some knowledge of the walking dead to share their wisdom ere we enter", he says, scratching a stuble-free chin. "I for one have heard many a rumour, but have considered it in my best interests to steer well clear of direct experience...at least that is, until now", he finishes with forrowed brow.
Josiane sees Gustave and his fellow veteran adventurers looking at her, waiting for her to impart her 'wisdom.' She blinks a couple of times, feeling suddenly very young, inexperienced and anything but wise.

"Um..." she begins, rather uninspiringly.

But then her sense of purpose and duty return.

"I - do not pretend to be an authority on these creatures, but I will tell you what I know. The Vampire wears the shell of its victim - it looks like us. It drains the blood and the very life force. It is said to be a shapeshifter. Beware bats, wolves - all carrion creatures."

Her eyes scan the trees anxiously, searching for black crows.

"But it has vulnerabilities. Daylight burns it - this I have seen for myself. Holy water does the same. The Holy Symbol repels it if backed by faith and it abbhors the scent of garlic."

She again offers garlic buds to any who wish them.

"Only magic will bite against these creatures in battle, but if driven to the coffins in which they lair they can be destroyed permanently by a wooden stake through the heart and decapitation. This is the only way to be certain of their destruction." She pats her backpack; "I carry the necessary tools to attend to this."

She frowns. "As to other Undead we have fought... There was a ghoulish creature whose touch froze the blood and robbed the body of all movement for a time. But it can be slain by cold steel. This I have done.

Beyond that, all we have encountered to date have been animated corpses - mindless, violated shells. They are slow and without intelligence, if unrelenting. Movement and missile weapons are the best tools to employ against such abominations I should think."

She looks hopefully at the others; "I trust that has been of use?"

(And an anxious whisper to Dorgan: "Did I miss anything?")

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:42 pm

mushgnome wrote:
"Vampyres can be detected by their sparkling skin and antiquated mannerisms," shares Highbough, "and their greatest weakness is their lust for human women."

Since he has not been here before, he follows the lead, bunched up with Ulric at the heart of the marching order...

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:46 pm

coffee wrote:
"I'll take some garlic," Dieter says.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 pm

doctorx wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"Vampyres can be detected by their sparkling skin and antiquated mannerisms," shares Highbough, "and their greatest weakness is their lust for human women."
Josiane's eyes widen and she half-stifles a gasp of alarm.

"Er... yes, quite," she finishes, a little shakily...

She hands Dieter some garlic.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 pm

sulldawga wrote:
doctorx wrote:(And an anxious whisper to Dorgan: "Did I miss anything?")
Dorgan nods impatiently.

"That's about it. Let's get movin'. Time's wastin' while we're jawin' out here."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane presses a garlic bud into Dorgan's calloused hand.

"Take this, my friend," she whispers; "It would be a comfort to me to know that you had protection against our foe."

She will form up in the marching order beside Dorgan if possible.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:31 pm

coffee wrote:
Now that he has some garlic, Dieter will happily take the lead. As long as someone comes behind him with a light, so he can see his way.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough gazes intently at Josiane for a moment (as though realizing for the first time what truly excellent vampire-bait she'll make).

Then he readies his shiny new lantern to light the way while the fighters do their thing.

Return to “Hinterlands”