(034) A Spring Day in Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote: "You would think renting a house would be simple matter, eh? Not in Ket I suppose."
;D
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
coffee wrote: Dieter digs in his pouch and pulls out 15 silver pieces.

"Get what you can with that. There will be { DM please fill in a reasonable number here } for dinner this evening. A nice roast of beef or pork, perhaps."
Madame Piganne takes the coins cautiously from (big scary) Dieter with a fearful nod, and quickly hastens away. She barks a plentiful series of orders to her staff, who get themselves busy as worker bees organising and cleaning the kitchen and the dinning hall in preparation for dinner.

Piganne herself, and one of her staff, head off to the markets to buy a fat pig...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:52 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile most of the company are behind closed doors, in the ball room, holding a discussion about what to do with the house staff...

Cook 'em and eat 'em? Send 'em down to the cellars? Dismiss 'em outright?

It is intriguing, to be sure [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:54 pm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:"So, who do we have here? " Olaf says, "The missing servants?"

Olaf walks down the stairs and over to Goblins, "I am called Olaf. What are we to call you? "
"Ahhh, Master Olaf," says the elderly Goblin gentleman with the bruised face, "I am Bennug the butler, at your service, Sir," he bows deeply and quite gracefully (for an aged fellow). Clearly he has done so many times, and is well practiced.

"And this," he indicates a gruff Goblin madame with a grey bun of hair who is ordering the other Goblins about to clean up the kitchen and dinning hall, "is our House Mistress, Piganne, and her staff,"
"I see." Olaf says pausing to think a second then saying, "Hum, well, Bennug it's good to meet you. You as well, Mistress Piganne. We certainly could use some help getting this house in order."

"Now, let's see. Has Dieter told you that there are ten members of our company who will be living here and that all are sharing in payment of the lease and upkeep of the house, so all will be your employers?" Olaf asks

Looking around he adds, "I see most are elsewhere at the moment. Oh, well, you'll meet everyone eventually."

"Most of us are human, although, we do have other races among our company." Olaf pauses again then adds, "None Goblinoid, though."

"Have you served...no, let me put it this way, have you worked for humans, dwarves, hobbits or elves before?"

"Do you have references from the houses where you have previously worked?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:58 pm

eris wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Meanwhile most of the company are behind closed doors, in the ball room, holding a discussion about what to do with the house staff...

Cook 'em and eat 'em? Send 'em down to the cellars? Dismiss 'em outright?

It is intriguing, to be sure [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]
While Olaf is out in the hall trying to get to know them, get references, get them organized and to work. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Do you note where I wrote "to serve humans" and then quickly changed it to "worked for humans..."? [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img] Don't want to give them any ideas about serving up humans for dinner. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm

danhem wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Dorgan scratches his beard again, with bits of dust from the basement flying off into the air.

"Uh, ain't there any Men in this town that we can hire? Who sez we gotta keep the Gobbos on?"
"The staff are part of the rent we paid to the Concourse. We will have to take it up with them and see if they can provide some alternate servants. We'll also need to discuss the details of the lease. I really should have accompanied Dieter and Olaf."

"For today, however, simply watch what you say around the goblins and keep a close eye on your belongings. We will show them the door before nightfall, then we can get a better sense of what lies beneath this odd house."

"And Josiane. You must excuse the behavior of my comrades. Goblins have only tried to rob and kill us since our arrival in these lands. I myself though little of their kind when I arrived; I now think even less."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:28 pm

doctorx wrote:
danhem wrote:
"And Josiane. You must excuse the behavior of my comrades. Goblins have only tried to rob and kill us since our arrival in these lands. I myself though little of their kind when I arrived; I now think even less."
"But those Goblins were armed and hostile, not elderly servants, I think," Josiane says politely but firmly; "But I do understand and share your concerns, Lord Ulric. Let us all be on our guard."

She smiles at the sorcerer, grateful for his courteous words.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:06 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote: "Have you served...no, let me put it this way, have you worked for humans, dwarves, hobbits or elves before?"

"Do you have references from the houses where you have previously worked?"

"Of course, Master Olaf," says Bennug, "Many of the houses of Ket are the residences of Men, we have no problem whatever accommodating their needs. Many of them appreciate our small size, eagerness to please, and great tolerance, in fact.".

"The Concourse will have written records on all of our previous engagements, if that is what you wish I'm sure they will be happy to find those records for a small fee. But in the meanwhile, I can assure Sir that we have for a number of years been in the employ of one Lady Estelle of Maine, who until recently maintained a summer house here in Ket. With her recent separation from her husband, she no longer has the means to finance that house, and we were, unfortunately, let go."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:13 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
The day gets on...

Around midday Piganne and her helper return from the market with a great bundle of supplies, including a side of ham, and she gets herself busy in the kitchen. The house begins to smell fantastic.

Meanwhile, the other Goblins have been out in the grounds collecting and chopping wood for the kitchen and the dining hall fireplace (another grand gothic affair).

They busily set up a long table and seating for ten in the dining hall, using the mismatched furniture from about the manse. They have a white table cloth over a tressel, and basic table settings enough for all.

Then they busy themselves with dusting and tidying in the house, and begin weeding the paths outside.

In short, the house is a little hive of activity. The Goblins are quiet, efficient workers.

What do you want to do with the afternoon?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
Desmond needs a proper bed and maybe an old trunk w/a lock in his room, at the very least.

Can we get a pricing list for such things? He wants to see if that is something he can get now... or if he'll have to use a bed roll for a while.

Return to “Hinterlands”