(031) A Cemetery Muckrake

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:50 pm

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan watches Josiane prepare to climb down into one of the graves and frowns. Suddenly, he cocks his head as he hears the sound of grating stone emanating from the tomb.

"Ah! Music to me ears. Looks like yer smarter than me, Guntrum."

Dorgan will leave Gustave to keep an eye on Josiane while he goes back to see if the tomb door opened.

Musing out loud, he says "I wonder if anyone brought a torch with 'em?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane looks up at the sound of grinding stone. The noise sends a chill of forboding creeping down her spine, but she manages a plucky smile of approval for Guntrum nonetheless.

She returns her attention to the open graves. Is there anything to indicate how recently they were exhumed? How freshly dug does the earth appear to be in her opinion? She also examines the ground around them carefully for any signs of recent activity other than that of her own party.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:56 pm

doctorx wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Dorgan watches Josiane prepare to climb down into one of the graves and frowns.

Musing out loud, he says "I wonder if anyone brought a torch with 'em?"
"I have torches," Josiane replies, digging one out and tossing it to Dorgan, "and tinder to light them with."

"I even thought to procure some oil," she adds with a smile; "If the Living Dead await us within they shall not find us lacking in a suitable welcome for them this time."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:03 pm

rleduc wrote:
"We are five. You were four before, and just escaped. Do we have enough, or should we fetch the others? I suppose we could explore to see if there is a larger complex than appears. But I'd caution against going too deep without bigger numbers."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:43 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane gives a curt nod of her head.

"Agreed. A brief sortie - no more. We do not yet know for certain that this place has any connection with our adventures of yesterday." She shudders; "Although if there be another unquiet creature unleashed upon this town these are dark days for Ket indeed..."

She continues her examination of the graves.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote: Dorgan will leave Gustave to keep an eye on Josiane while he goes back to see if the tomb door opened.
The tomb door remains shut, but Dorgan fancies he might have better odds of moving it if some stone dead-bolt and freed...

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:26 pm

sulldawga wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:The tomb door remains shut, but Dorgan fancies he might have better odds of moving it if some stone dead-bolt and freed...
Following this logic, Dorgan will walk back to the tomb, drop his newly acquired torch on the ground to free up both hands, and have another go at sliding the door open.

If he fails again but feels like there's some give in the door, he'll invite Guntrum to assist him.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 pm

tonneau wrote:
Gustave sighs at the mention of a 'brief sortee' but offers a hand to help the lady from her self-assigned hole anyway.

He glances up at the greying sky and purses his lips, "It will have to be brief indeed for the day will soon be done, and I have no desire to walk in places of the dead during their preferred hours of business."

"Perhaps a short scouting trip is warranted though as you suggest Josiane", he adds, "but let us tread lightly indeed, and return on the morrow with numbers."

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:54 pm

rleduc wrote:
"I am curious if there are tunnels leading away from the site. If this be but an ordinary tomb, we should know soon enough. Do we need a guard to make sure the door stays open?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:14 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
doctorx wrote: She returns her attention to the open graves. Is there anything to indicate how recently they were exhumed? How freshly dug does the earth appear to be in her opinion? She also examines the ground around them carefully for any signs of recent activity other than that of her own party.
Now that she looks more closely, Josiane notes that there are weeds growing on some of the earth works, but not all. The plant-free earth must have been turned relatively recently... that is two of the six graves. The other four must have been exhumed weeks, or even months ago.

There are quite a few Man-sized foot prints in the soil... though it is impossible to known whether they were all made by one individual, or buy a group.

Return to “Hinterlands”