(031) A Cemetery Muckrake

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:56 pm

ehiker133 wrote:
"Ah, there they are, over there..." Desmond points at Josiane. He starts heading in that direction.

When he reaches her side, he says, "It's not good to wander about in such few numbers... even in town. We thought you might want some company."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:02 pm

rleduc wrote:
Guntrum follows Desmond. At his remark about safety, he nods, still a bit in awe of what, to him, is the big city!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:00 pm

doctorx wrote:
Josiane's face breaks into a radiant smile of gratitude at the approach of the three (or should that be four?) adventurers from the Plough and Furrow; "Good friends! You are most welcome!"

(She cannot help but notice how dashing the suave Gustave looks now he is bathed and bedecked in his new finery, albeit still wearing his battered and ominously-punctured mail shirt. The celestial ghost of Saint Winifred looms large in her mind, wagging her heavenly finger...)

"I was just explaining to Dorgan - Dorgan?" She finally notices the stalwart Dwarf grappling valiantly with the tomb entrance; "Oh, my goodness! Would one of you good sirs be able to help my comrade, by any chance?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:34 am

rleduc wrote:
"To be sure, I'm not afeared of some heavy lifting, but is there any chance of a mechanism; say, at one of these gargoyles in front?". Guntrum backs a bit from the statues looking at Dorgan and Josianne expectantly. If not, he shrugs and moves to help Dorgan shift the door.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 am

tonneau wrote:
"Ah!", says Gustave grinning broadly, "Here we are then."

He steps cautiously over a low headstone and approaches the odd couple.

"You do pick the most interesting places for your walks my lady", he observes, scanning his eyes around the gloomy bone-yard and absently scratching his now stubble-free chin.

"So", he continues, turning to face Josiane, "to what end do we find ourselves in this majestic necropolis?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:11 am

sulldawga wrote:
Dorgan stood back from the door and scratched his head. He turned to face the newcomers.

"Wouldn't surprise me ta find some sorta trick to openin' it that ain't obvious ta me. Have a look. Gotta be easier than forcin' this thing open."

The dwarf will walk over to Josiane.

"I suspect yer idea 'bout the bodies is a good one. The vampeer must have help gettin' the bodies though. Mebbe we can see if anyone at yer temple has seen folks coming to the graveyard at queer hours?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:47 am

doctorx wrote:
tonneau wrote:"You do pick the most interesting places for your walks my lady", he observes, scanning his eyes around the gloomy bone-yard and absently scratching his now stubble-free chin.

"So", he continues, turning to face Josiane, "to what end do we find ourselves in this majestic necropolis?"
"I rather think the places and the walks are chosen for me," says Josiane quietly, still eyeing the graves and the ominous-looking tomb.

She repeats her theory as to the origins of the walking dead. "Did they lie in these graves?" she wonders out loud; "I think it unlikely. Executed criminals are buried away from hallowed ground as a rule, although I know not the customs of this town. Then why this act of sacrilege?"

She looks down into the open graves again, then up into the sky. Those birds trouble her. Abruptly, she reaches into her backpack, pulls out one of the buds of garlic she purchased from the inn and begins to break it up into its respective cloves.

How deep are these graves? If she were to climb down into them, (not a prospect she regards with any eagerness) would she be able to climb back out again?

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 am

rleduc wrote:
Guntrum inspects the gargoyles by the door more closely. He's looking for compartments, hidden switches, or moving parts. Perhaps the whole gargoyle turns on it's plinth as a way of turning a pulley mechanism.

He trusts Dorgan's knowledge of stonework would have enabled him to spot anything at the door itself where he was searching; certainly as well as he could.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
doctorx wrote: How deep are these graves? If she were to climb down into them, (not a prospect she regards with any eagerness) would she be able to climb back out again?
Josiane sees that the graves are roughly 4 or 5ft deep, partially collapses as they are.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:40 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
rleduc wrote:Guntrum inspects the gargoyles by the door more closely.
Guntram examines the pair of gargoyles that preside over the door arch... a pair of aged, stone terrors with claws, horns, and bat's wings; each the size of a Man's thigh. Countless season have seen the stone potted with holes and scored by marks and chips. What is this? If given enough, umph, muscle... the monster to the left can be pulled forth as if it were a lever!

As Guntram hauls it down slowly, there comes the deep, grinding sound of stone grating upon stone, then a discernible clack as if some mechanism had fallen into place.

Return to “Hinterlands”