(023) Breakfast at Saxxon's

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 am

danhem wrote:
eris wrote:Olaf finishes donning his armor and takes up his bow and quiver of arrows, "Don't you think that getting up on the battlements might be a good idea. It would give us the high ground against whoever is banging on the gate outside."

"I'll lead a couple of our best archers up there and maybe our magic user should join us, too." Olaf finishes as he starts for the door leading to the stairs.
"Indeed Olaf," Ulric says as heads out the door. "As I said, archers to the walls. But I believe I can cause the most havoc from the gate itself. I want to be sure that I am in close enough to do the most harm."

Ulric continues on his way to the gate.

"This lot again?" he says upon seeing the familiar forms of the hobgoblins. "Every time we try to head back to town, there they are."

Ulric begins to ready the Anthracite Sufferance in case the troops try to raise the portcullis.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 1:00 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The North West Stair

Olaf leads Koch and Wibert up the nearest flight of steps (those in the north-west tower) -- for reaching any of the other stair would mean crossing the courtyard in plain view of all those at the gate.

The tower stair is narrow, cold and dim. The stairs are steep and treacherous with wet from the overnight rain, but long-limbed Olaf scales them with sure footed haste... short legged Wibert, as ever, finds himself falling behind.

Olaf has reach the shut overhead trapdoor at the top of the stair. Koch is close behind, and Wibert is a little way back...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 1:23 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Front Gate

"Friends!?" snarls the hobgoblin Captain at Gustave, "That filthy piece of treacherous worm turd cost Haknag's boys dear at Morgnar's Gate, and ee's none to popular with Orgnolg neither. Even them pinks of Ket wouldn't spare 'is neck a noose. And 'ee owes me 500 pieces of silver ta boot -- and I intend ta get it one way or another!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 1:28 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Front Gate

By this time Dieter, Victor and Ulric have sidled up behind Gustave, and observe the hobgoblin Captain lecturing as his troops are almost done with piling the fallen stones on the outside of the portcullis into neat stacks to either side of the arch...

"Get that gate up!" snarls the Captain at his men.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 1:49 am

tonneau wrote:
"It seems that we have a beef with Saxxon in common", continues Gustave, "and we will not stand in your way if you intend to hunt him down."

"We ourselves have inflicted no small illness upon him in the last few days, for he dared to cross up too. I dare say any that remain of his horde are licking their wounds deep in the halls below."

"We will depart this place now, for we have business elsewhere. What you do with Saxxon is yours to decide. But let us not come to blows, for that would only play into Saxxon's hands, as he would deem to play us against each other to save his own neck."

Under his breath Gustave whispers to Dieter at his side, "Hide our loot, fast"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 5:15 am

ehiker133 wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Olaf leads Koch and Wibert up the nearest flight of steps (those in the north-west tower) -- for reaching any of the other stair would mean crossing the courtyard in plain view of all those at the gate.

The tower stair is narrow, cold and dim. The stairs are steep and treacherous with wet from the overnight rain, but long-limbed Olaf scales them with sure footed haste... short legged Wibert, as ever, finds himself falling behind.

Olaf has reach the shut overhead trapdoor at the top of the stair. Koch is close behind, and Wibert is a little way back...
Desmond would follow Wibert, thinking he could probably be most effective by dropping stones on top of hobgoblin heads than doing anything else.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 6:22 am

coffee wrote:
"Hide it where?" Dieter thinks, but scuttles off to do what he can.

He's fought too hard and seen too many good men die to allow some rank hobgoblins to waltz off with his loot.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 8:23 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Front Gate

"Ha!" snorts the hobgoblin Captain suspiciously. "You can say what you like, there hardly being a less trustworthy tongue than a Man's. Your business is with me until I get my silver -- perhaps if you hand it over I'll forget I saw you and let you go... perhaps."

It looks to Gustave as though there are somewhere between a dozen and a score of the hobgoblin soldiers before the gates. Half a dozen are labouring away at the rubble -- nearly done now -- and a few further back are mounted on very large and vicious looking wolves...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 8:24 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The North West Stair
ehiker133 wrote:Desmond would follow Wibert, thinking he could probably be most effective by dropping stones on top of hobgoblin heads than doing anything else.
Very good, Desmond is following after Wibert...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 07, 2011 8:27 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
The Mess Hall
coffee wrote:"Hide it where?" Dieter thinks, but scuttles off to do what he can.

He's fought too hard and seen too many good men die to allow some rank hobgoblins to waltz off with his loot.
Where indeed? Dieter hurries back to the mess hall, where the majority of the company's packs, gear and supplies are spread about the place. As are the two large chests from the Ogre Keep across the ravine...

With what magic will he haul them, let alone hide them?

Boris, Mads, Highbough and Andaros are still in the mess.

Return to “Hinterlands”