(016) Of Knaves and Men

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:31 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
[img]defaultavatar.png[/img]/post/64652/threadFeb 2, 2011 6:51:10 GMT -6 @ghostofmarx said:Nidhogg collects the half spent torch and hands it to Koch. "I haven't the means to light it but..." he kneels down and pulls out the brassy beetle and inserts a small key delicately winding the mechanism. When the mandibles begin to churn he places it into the lockbox holding Koch. "The beetle needs a moment to work." "You'll need to be armed any good with a bow?"

KOCH grins wickedly, "I've got plenty practice shooting at the goblins that raided my village."

KOCH tries to peer around the cellar, "'haps if we can take a moment to search down 'ere, we can find better arms for both of us, and a light for this torch. An' since I'm not sure if that beatle contraption can unlock the hatch above, perhaps we can find a quieter way out at the other end of the room instead of trying to bash our way out the hatch."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:32 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
[img]defaultavatar.png[/img]/post/64653/threadhttp://www.insectlabstudio.com/?item/316http://www.insectlabstudio.com/?item/316www.insectlabstudio.com/?item/316 who creates "steampunk" or "clockwork" versions of beetles)

That is super cool! Have an exalt [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:39 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
The brassy little beetle make a distinct, ticking buzz as it climbs into the hole and proceeds to saw its way through the lock box's mechanism. After a minute or two, with both Nidhogg and Koch looking on with keen interest, the sound begins to slow... until finally the tiny contrivance crawls slow out of the hole and comes to a stop.

Nidhogg eyes are good enough to see that it appears to be covered in tiny twirls and shards of shaved metal...

The Dwarf retrieves the beetle, and Koch gives the manacles a shake. The lockbox drops open, and with a clatter the chains fall from him! Koch is freed!

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 am

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg will restore the beetle to his pouch and begin examining the stonework looking for secret passages or possibly walled over sections that could lead to a way out.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
KOCH can barely contain the ecstasy that raises through his body as he shakes the manacles and sees and feels the manacle fall of his leg. He gives the formerly bound skin a rub and takes a step forward - a step he could not make a moment ago. This step gives the feeling of absolute freedom, a freedom KOCH was unsure he would feel again.

This feeling is fleeting, however, as KOCH realizes that he must now escape the Gatehouse and help Nidhogg and his companions. He tosses the bow and arrow given to him by Nidhogg over his shoulder and tucks the stumpy torch in his belt. KOCH slowly moves around the room with arms outstretched to feel for the walls and crates about the cellar. His mind races to his belongings, in particular the fine tailor shears given to him as a gift from his father, he would surely hate to leave them behind. He hopes beyond hope to find them and his equipment down in the cellar, or at the very least a method in which to light his the stumpy torch given to him by Nidhogg.

KOCH speaks quietly to Nidhogg, "Nidhogg, can you direct me to any crates or chests that may seem to hold goods, I'd like to see if I can find some of my things or at least a way to light this torch. My eyes are not as good in the dark as a dwarfs."

Edit: added conversation.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:00 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg pauses and takes the man by the are. "This way" He guides him to the crates. "What, specifically, are you seeking?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:35 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
KOCH

OOC: I'm going to assume 'are' means arm and not arse. [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

IC: "Thank you Nidhogg. I am looking for a pair of finely-wrought tailor shears that are etched with silver. They are a family heirloom, and I would hate to leave them behind in this blasted place. Plus, any other gear that can help our escape, such as a light for this torch would be great as well."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:05 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
Nidhogg can dimly spy the outline of much clutter amid the broken heaps of crates and casks in the cellar.

A little extra light would certainly not hinder the Dwarf, either.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:26 pm

(016) Of Knaves and Men

Professor P wrote:
Once Nidhogg leads KOCH to the crates, KOCH will slowly and cautiously feel for any of his equipment, or anything else he could recognize by feel.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:50 am

(016) Of Knaves and Men

waysoftheearth wrote:
After some stumbling about and knocking things over in the gloom, Koch unearths a pile of goods that have a familiar feel about them. He can scarce believe his luck when he realises that his captors have simply dumped his goods in an old crate not a dozen feet out of reach!

(Almost) everything is there, bar his coin purse and supplies.

edit: added "almost".

Return to “Hinterlands”