(014) The Ravine

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:27 pm

(014) The Ravine

eris wrote:
Valandil wrote:Andaros

"I say we go to the the grasslands. Don't like the idea of another ambush"
"I think we need to stash to the loot somewhere before we head back, though." Olaf says, "Like Ulric, I am for finding a hole in the wall of a canyon with only one way in and some cover for the horse and cart, most of the supplies and the treasure. Leave two or three behind to guard our swag and then we go clean out the towers."

"And I'm not in a big hurry about going back either." he adds, "They'll expect us to come back at them right away, or to just leave. I think if we wait a day and then take our time scouting the place out we can return when they are not quite as prepared to fight as they are right now."

Olaf
Fighter 2
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg continues scouting the grasslands. Looking specifically for evidence of recent passage.

(OOC sorry I started a new job on Monday and I've been out of the loop a bit)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:56 am

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
Nidhogg wades out into the river at the rocky ford near the mouth of the ravine. Although not much more than knee deep to any Man, it wets the Dwarf almost to his waist before he passes to the other side. And in the midst of a crisp winter's morning, he is not well pleased to be soaked so.

None the less, he trudges off into the rolling grasslands while the remainder of the company discuss what options lay ahead.

To search out a hiding place for the cart among the craggy canyon lands ahead seems as though, given any adequate measure of fortune, it might be accomplished before noon.

The other option appears to be to ford the river immediately with the
cart in tow and test your luck out in the grasslands. There may be hiding holes just as well hidden out there, and there will be plenty of fodder for the mule...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:03 am

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
Meanwhile, Nidhogg trudges on.

The hills are no nearly so pleasant up close as they are from a distance. The ground is still uneven and broken by many cracks large enough to loose a boot in, and the the slopes are riddled with rabbit and snake holes. In short, the terrain is awkward, but not impossible to traverse for a Dwarfish thief.

(1d6=5)

Upon climbing to the top of the third, grassy ridge Nidhogg spies a particularly sizable crevice in the side of the next hill. It might make a perfectly respectable stop over for the company's cart. If it is uninhabited...

Behold, a thatch of tall grasses and shrubs conceal most of the entrance from where Nidhogg stands squinting in the morning sun. To see more he would have to venture closer...

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:25 pm

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
Nidhogg ventures closer with his pick in hand.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 pm

(014) The Ravine

waysoftheearth wrote:
Nidhogg hunkers down like a rabbit and weasels his way toward the crevice. As he draws nearer, step by step, he becomes more and more convinced that the cave is an animal lair of some sort. There is a vague tang on the air, and now he espies tell tale signs of some large animal moving through the low shrubs from he opposite side -- there is a neat little path pushed through the grasses, and old bones and other remains litter the ground...

Nidhogg is still some score yards or more from the crevice. What to do?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:57 pm

(014) The Ravine

Guest wrote:
6 yards closer and he stops to waiting to see the animal in question.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:41 am

(014) The Ravine

tonneau wrote:
"Lets get this cart across this water then shall we?" enquires Gustave with excessive politeness.
"I dont fancy leaving it here, so I propose we move it with us en route to the watchtower until a suitable receptacle is unveiled ".
With that, he braces himself against the rear of the laiden wagon and looks up at his fellows, "Anyone give me a hand?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:07 pm

(014) The Ravine

mushgnome wrote:
Highbough agrees with the plan. "Once we've cleared the tower, we can set up a permanent camp to store our treasure and supplies, post archers on the roof, a real cook fire, maybe some decent beds---"

He stops as his keen Elvish ears perk up. "How odd; I can't hear that strange little Dwarf rustling through the grass any more..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:42 pm

(014) The Ravine

tombowings wrote:
"I sure could use a good mean," says Pelenwin, lending a hand to the fording crew.

Return to “Hinterlands”