(012) Beneath the Gatehouse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:12 pm

eris wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Highbough the Cypher addresses Padrig: "I am known as Highbough to my allies and The Cypher to my enemies. If there be other prisoners here, I have not met them. But it would not surprise me to find other unfortunates here in this dungeon."

Highbough reclaims his gear, then strolls around a bit to loosen his muscles and survey the party's surroundings. Seeing the Ogre corpses in the hallway, he frowns. "Though it be a grim task, we must drag these bodies into the chamber, leaving nothing but blood. I fear if they are discovered by other denizens of this dungeon, there will be a power struggle to take control of the Ogres' territory. We must maintain the illusion that the Ogres are still in charge, so that we might claim this territory for ourselves."

"If one of you strong men will lift me upon your shoulders for a moment, I have an idea..."
Olaf stands and walks over, "I'll do it, elf." and with that he lifts the old elf up onto his shoulders, "What idea is it you have?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:16 pm

eris wrote:
tonneau wrote:Gustave steps past the sweating Dieter, and hoists the flask aloft, holding it to the light of the torches.
"Treasures indeed, it would seem", he says, eyeing the glistening necklace, "I dare say our lady Brigitta in Ket will be most interested in that one", he notes, before returning his attention to the flask, "...but as for this..."
"Don't go crazy over the treasures." Olaf says, "We still have to get out of here and back to civilization before they are any good to us, and I think we're a long way from getting out of here."

"I'm worried about that Ogre, and about the lights I saw on the other side of the bridge, and those henchmen out there with our supplies...and transportation...and that laughter that was coming from in here..."

"Say, elf!" Olaf asks Highbrough, "There was laughter coming from here earlier. Who was that and what were they laughing at?"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:29 pm

mushgnome wrote:
eris wrote: Olaf stands and walks over, "I'll do it, elf." and with that he lifts the old elf up onto his shoulders, "What idea is it you have?"
"Thank you, tall warrior."

Highbough retrieves a piece of yellow chalk from his pocket. On the outside of the great door (facing the staircase), about 8 feet above the ground (eye level for an Ogre), he scrawls in large, crude letters:

TRUCE IS BROKEN, MAGGOTTS!
GO AWAY OR WE EET YOU!!!

"That may deter any would-be looters. Now if you'll help move these Ogre corpses inside, I will ward this door against intruders to secure our position. This chamber can be a 'safe room' to which we can retreat if we are overwhelmed."

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:34 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
coffee wrote:"What is that on the flask, writing?" Dieter asks, squinting. "What does it say?"
Gustave examines the etchings on the flask closely, but they do not resemble any script he is familiar with. If anything it appears to be a decorative pattern etched by an artisan of old.
coffee wrote:Then he goes back to admiring the necklace, attempting to appraise its value.
The jewellery is a fine piece of workmanship... a silver neck chain which is narrow at the nape, and broader at the breast, and wonderfully light and dainty. From this some dozen clear, trapezoidal stones dangle, with those hanging lowest being the largest, and those hanging highest the smallest. Having never possessed such a thing, Dieter can only imagine it's worth... Eight hundred? One thousand? Perhaps even a dozen hundred silver shillings?

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:36 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote: Highbough retrieves a piece of yellow chalk from his pocket. On the outside of the great door (facing the staircase), about 8 feet above the ground (eye level for an Ogre), he scrawls in large, crude letters:

TRUCE IS BROKEN, MAGGOTTS!
GO AWAY OR WE EET YOU!!!

"That may deter any would-be looters. Now if you'll help move these Ogre corpses inside, I will ward this door against intruders to secure our position. This chamber can be a 'safe room' to which we can retreat if we are overwhelmed."
Very good. Highbough's inscription looms clearly above the door.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 pm

mushgnome wrote:
eris wrote: "Say, elf!" Olaf asks Highbrough, "There was laughter coming from here earlier. Who was that and what were they laughing at?"
"Aye indeed, 'twas the Ogres, laughing as they tormented me!"

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:39 am

heartless wrote:
mushgnome wrote:"That may deter any would-be looters. Now if you'll help move these Ogre corpses inside, I will ward this door against intruders to secure our position. This chamber can be a 'safe room' to which we can retreat if we are overwhelmed."
"Good idea Highbough, but may I suggest we place the orge bodies hidden in the cells next door for I for one do not want the extra smell of dead ogres in the same room as me", request Padrig.

"Highbough from your time here have you learnt anything about the layout of this place, and who visits, or anything to aid us in here. What other passages lead in and out from here", asks Padrig.

"In the morning we should bury our comrades-in-arms outside, for now can someone help me perpare there bodies", asks Padrig.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:10 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Alas, Highbough was unconscious when brought here, so he knows little more than what he has already shared.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 pm

mushgnome wrote:
heartless wrote: "Good idea Highbough, but may I suggest we place the orge bodies hidden in the cells next door for I for one do not want the extra smell of dead ogres in the same room as me", request Padrig.
"I have not had the pleasure of visiting this room next door of which you speak; lead the way..." says Highbough.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:36 pm

danhem wrote:
Ulric looks at the words painted on the door with approval.

"An excellent idea Highbough. That should keep most of the other denizens of this place at bay."

Ulric then turns to the mass of treasure they have won.

"That is a large amount of coin," he says happily. "Getting it back to town may be a trial of it's own. Gustave, let me have a look at that flask. Perhaps I can decipher the meaning of those symbols."

Ulric inspects the flask carefully and studies the strange writing.

Return to “Hinterlands”