(008) The Blockade

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:52 am

(008) The Blockade

Harry wrote:
Taines combs his fiery red beard with his hand, glaring at the green skins he sneers "Rather than take the wee beastie on ourselves, why dont we set a trap up here and use these rodents as the bait!"

Taines looks around at the party "Either ways we have to decide their fate now......."Taines stares with evil intent at the hobbies "kill them........release them...............or use them as bait, but I naught take them with me".

Seemingly more comfortable sharing his thoughts, Taines goes on "Then we need to decide what our next moves will be. Back to town or back down there" Taines nods at the floor of the keep.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:19 am

(008) The Blockade

heartless wrote:
Padrig whispers so the hobgoblins can't here to Taines, Mads and Olaf, "I would tie these up as bait outside the spiders lair and when they come out we attack with arrows and oil fires, so to make this place more safe for us!"
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
A true Knight of the Wold would propose or partake in nothing so unvirtuous. He would rather offer himself up as bait first, trusting in Heledd that he not be harmed.

The question is whether Padrig is a Knight of the Wold, or merely a pretender.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:15 pm

(008) The Blockade

danhem wrote:
tombowings wrote:"And brings your here to this ruined land once to fertile and glorious?"
Ulric listens intently to Flewellen's story while also keeping an ear directed toward the discussion around the goblin prisoners. He then begins to tell Flewellen of their adventures so far, but keeps his voice low enough so that the goblins do not overhear.

"I too have been wandering. I only recently left my homeland in search of more mysteries of the Art. My previous Master had already taught as much of his knowledge as he intended. The rest, he said, was up to me. My journey led me to the city of Ket which lies about a days walk to the north of here. That is where I met my companions here. We acquired a map of the region from a merchant and decided to test its authenticity by trying to find this keep. So far the map has proved to be accurate. This keep has also supplied us with a fair amount of treasure, as you can see. But it has not come without a heavy cost."

"Our intentions now are to return to Ket and dispose of some of this wealth as well as resupply for our return. There is still much to explore in the dungeons below. The only problem is that while Ket is a human settlement, it is under the thumb of the goblins. We may not receive a hearty welcome on our return, so we must be discreet. We should also not return with goblin prisoners who will tell all that will listen about our recent activities."

With that thought Ulric turns his attention to the others.

"Why don't we make use of the cells below. We can't bring these goblins back with us and we can't let them go. Let's leave them some food and lock them up until we return. They should be safe from the spiders. I doubt they have the intellect to lift the bars from the doors."

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:55 pm

(008) The Blockade

makofan wrote:
Caine likes Ulric's proposal. "If we could liquidate some assets, I could discharge my debts and have a clean conscience"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:45 pm

(008) The Blockade

eris wrote:
Olaf shakes his head after listening to Taines, "No, no! I think these fine warriors know what side of the bread has the butter on it now."

He turns so the prisoners can't see him but the others can and winks.

"I think we should hire them" Olaf says loudly enough so the hobgoblins can hear as well, "I mean when we report back to our bosses about the treasures we've buried out around this keep you know they are going to bring up the rest of their army."

"Yes, yes, I know we've hidden it well, and in more places than you have fingers on your hand, but I'd feel better if we left it guarded." he turns to the prisoners and says, "And these two brave warriors could handle a job like that."

"How about it?" Olaf asks, "We will pay 10 coppers now to each of you." Olaf holds up all ten of his fingers, "And 1 more each day if you join 'One Eyed Jack's' army. All you'd have to do is guard this keep and keep and eye out for any of our enemies until we get back. You think it over for a minute while I try to convince my friends to hire you."

Olaf moves away and gathers the group together and whispers, "We could kill them, but that gains us nothing. On the other hand, we can use them to misdirect the hobgoblins that are sure to turn up here soon. Tell them a fanciful story about our leader...the legendary 'One Eyed Jack'...about the many caches of treasure we've buried around the outside of the ruins...yes, I know we have buried some treasure, but better to risk that and keep the hobs digging like fools for a week than try to horde it and have them come chasing right after us."

Olaf grins and adds, "And besides, we can tell 'our guards' that we are heading up the road away from Ket to meet Jack's army...maybe the hobgoblins that arrive head the wrong way after us. Huh?"

Olaf ends with, "If you vote me down, then do what you want, but I think this is a good chance to fool the hobs and improve our chances of getting away. What say you all?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:40 pm

(008) The Blockade

coffee wrote:
"I'm for it," Dieter says with a grin. "Confusion to our enemies and all that."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 am

(008) The Blockade

waysoftheearth wrote:
Hearing the talk fluctuate between their being killed, imprisoned or possibly even hired, the captives begin to advocate their many qualities...

"Wees strong and loyal,",
"Wees seess well at night too,",
"And we doesn't eat much," they pander, trying to determine the party's reaction to their claims.

"Bolgog payss us 8 copper each night," they complain, "Yesss, an 9 copper at daysss, cos we doesn't likess the daysss,", but they seem to be getting hopeful that they might just get out of this mess alive yet...

"If Men paysss same as Bolgog, then..." the first Goblin shrugs, "Well, Bolgog mean and Men nice, yessss nicssse," completes the second, and both nod vigorously.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:42 am

(008) The Blockade

tombowings wrote:
"Sounds like a win win situation to me," whispers Flewellen.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:56 am

(008) The Blockade

danhem wrote:
"That is a sound plan Olaf," Ulric says quietly. "Well worth the investment of a few coppers. We should take as much treasure and equipment with us as we can since we are sure to loose whatever we leave behind."

Ulric advances toward the two goblins.

"You two have witnessed my powers, yes? I am One Eyed Jack's wizard. He entrusts me to make sure that his followers do as they are told. Let me just say that it is not wise to cross a wizard. Things have a tendency to burst into flames when a wizard becomes angry. Understand?"

OOC: Did we bury any of the treasure? I thought Victor simply temporarily concealed the sacks of copper while we fought the hobs.

Return to “Hinterlands”