(007) The Measure of the Old Keep

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 12:39 am

Harry wrote:
Dusting the remaining crumbs from his beard, Taines stands and stretches nonchalantly before grabbing his shield and axe "Aye the sound of a thousand singing dwarves would be music to me ears...................the clash of my axe on bone even sweeter" snorts Taines.

With brisk short strides Taines moves to the left of tower door entrance keeping his eyes on the "broken keep gate".
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 1:40 am

danhem wrote:
"If we let them enter the gate, I may be able to put most of them to sleep out of sight of their encampment. The two of you could pick off the rest with your bows."

OOC: I'm assuming the inside of the gate in range of the Baleful Somnolence?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 3:30 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:OOC: I'm assuming the inside of the gate in range of the Baleful Somnolence?
The tower rooftop must be nigh on 40ft from the ground. Ulric judges the base of the tower to be at the limits of his influence, but his enchantment should work so long as he can see all of the enemy between the battlements, walls and arched gateway...

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 4:55 am

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:"If we let them enter the gate, I may be able to put most of them to sleep out of sight of their encampment. The two of you could pick off the rest with your bows."

OOC: I'm assuming the inside of the gate in range of the Baleful Somnolence?
"Works for me!" Olaf says quietly nocking an arrow on his bowstring.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 9:57 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
"As you wish, wizard," breathes Anwyn with a quirky smile, but she already a deadly arrow drawn taut against her bowstring...

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 10:31 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
As the soldiers march up to the gate, their unquiet chatter becomes clearer to those atop the tower;

"...said he wouldn't chance a rat's tail on her!" one gravelly voice remarks, to which a few other laugh roughly.

"Shut yer filthy holes!" threatens a stronger voice, and the other are immediately quiet.

In a dozen more strides, the soldiers are before the gate arch. Still outside the keep, and out of Ulric's sight, the captain turns and squints to survey the surrounds, his hand shielding his beady eyes from the glare of the sun. He sniffs the air suspiciously for a moment, but makes no move to enter the keep proper...

"Grishnash, Bolguk," the brute orders at last, "Git round tha side and report back quick smart,".

"Sah!" retort two of the Hobgoblins, and scamper off toward the tower -- apparently to run a circuit of the keep.

"Hagnolg 'n' Gagnug, yer in tha front," continues the captain.

"Sah!" reply the next two soldiers, and right away push thorugh the battered and broken keep gate, and move cautiously into the courtyard, and right into Ulric's field of view...

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm

danhem wrote:
With only two of the goblin soldiers in sight, Ulric holds his tongue and remains as still as possible.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 28, 2010 5:18 pm

eris wrote:
danhem wrote:With only two of the goblin soldiers in sight, Ulric holds his tongue and remains as still as possible.
Olaf holds his fire waiting for Ulric or Anwyn to make a move.

"They are acting with more sense than I think of hobs having." Olaf whispers quietly, "More sense and more discipline."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 29, 2010 3:03 am

Harry wrote:
Taines licks his lips, grunting in a low tone "Aye, come here me little hob.....an' taste me blade".

Shifting his stance he presses his right shoulder against the stonewall, keeping keen watch over the courtyard.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat May 29, 2010 3:21 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
eris wrote:"They are acting with more sense than I think of hobs having." Olaf whispers quietly, "More sense and more discipline."
"I try not to think on what others think," replies Anwyn (intelligence 7), "It's too confusing."

And then -- without any further warning (wisdom 6) -- she leans boldly out over the battlement as she pulls back on her bowstring, and fires down upon those still outside the front gate!

Her arrow tears downward from the sky (1d20=15) and (1dd=2) clips the armoured shoulder of one of the three fellows out front for 2 hit points before digging deeply into the earth.

There are howls and curses from below as the mischevious Elf pulls herself back, "Now that was funny," she smirks.

(Combat has begun. Your intentions for next round please...)

Return to “Hinterlands”