(021) Vegetable Soup

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:24 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

Professor P wrote:
KOCH perks up from his wound re-dressing at Gustave's mention of Copernicus, "I hope he's no where near here" KOCH spits. "He probably directed the setting of traps. He's a shrewd and dangerous one, Saxxon's advisor, and the one that started my imprisonment. If he's still here, we may be in grave danger indeed."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:28 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:
danhem wrote:"Ah well, let's block the doors leading into the northwest and southeast towers. We can then block the trapdoors on their roofs. That should seal in whoever is below...I hope."

Ulric now sets about finding material to block the doors and trapdoors.
Highbough could make use of his Ingenious Trammel for just such a purpose...
True, but can he block all of the doors or just one? And what happens if the other PCs need to use the door while he's out finding the cart? The magic does not discriminate between friend or foe...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:19 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

tombowings wrote:
"I guess we'll find the path in the morning," resigns Pelenwin, a little put out.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:22 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

tonneau wrote:
"I think you are being unduly harsh toward Copernicus - he seemed to me a fine and esteemed gentleman", replies Gustave somewhat sternly.
"In any case, too many mysteries remain here for us to abandon our quest now. These tunnels cannot go on forever: we need just to cover them thoroughly together to find the answers we seek - and my cigars of course..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:31 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:True, but can he block all of the doors or just one?
Well, there are just two doors that access the ground floor from the dungeon level. Plus two trapdoors on the tower tops -- which could perhaps be watched, or alarmed rather than trammeled.

Highbough can certainly trammel one door without failure. He then has a 50/50 chance (4+ on a d6) of repeating the spell at each subsequent attempt thereafter, until he has forgotten it.

Even after he has forgotten the spell, Highbough could still read it from his spell book, although this would take a turn rather than a round, and consume the spell.
mushgnome wrote:The magic does not discriminate between friend or foe...
True enough. It is a question of whether you want the doors blocked, or not.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:56 pm

(021) Vegetable Soup

mushgnome wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Highbough can certainly trammel one door without failure. He then has a 50/50 chance (4+ on a d6) of repeating the spell at each subsequent attempt thereafter, until he has forgotten it.

Even after he has forgotten the spell, Highbough could still read it from his spell book, although this would take a turn rather than a round, and consume the spell.
Thanks for the rules clarification. [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img] Highbough will Trammel as many doors as he can to help his colleagues feel safe. (He will not cast from his spellbook.)

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:11 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

eris wrote:
tombowings wrote:"I guess we'll find the path in the morning," resigns Pelenwin, a little put out.
"Once we get the cart and treasure in here, if there is still light I'll go out scouting with you Pelenwin." Olaf says before he steps outside with the others.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:14 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

waysoftheearth wrote:
mushgnome wrote:Highbough will Trammel as many doors as he can to help his colleagues feel safe. (He will not cast from his spellbook.)
Which order will he attempt to trammel the portals in?

And will the others (Dieter, Olaf and Andaros) wait for Highbough to complete all this arcane fidgetry (which might well take 20 minutes or so), or will they head off without him?

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:35 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

coffee wrote:
Head off without him. It's not getting any lighter out there.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:14 am

(021) Vegetable Soup

eris wrote:
coffee wrote:Head off without him. It's not getting any lighter out there.
Agreed, head off without him.

Return to “Hinterlands”