(017) A closer look at the Gatehouse

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:41 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
At the Gatehouse

From his vantage atop the eastern battlement, Dieter has a good view of the gatehouse layout.

It is not entirely dissimilar to this:

```````````````Bridge``````````````
````````````````Gate```````````````
````############===############````
````#....#...............#....#````
````#....#---------------#....#````
````######.#####===#####.######````
````#..|...#......Junk%#...|..#````
````#..|...#.........%%#...|..#````
````#..|...#...........#...|..#````
````#..|...|...........|...|..#````
````#D.|...#...........#...|..#````
X```#..|...#.Courtyard.#...|..#````
`X``#..|...#...........#...|..#````
`X``######.#####===#####.######````
````#....#---------------#....#````
```X#....#...............#....#````
````############===############````
````X```````X`X````````````````````
`S`````X``X````Front```````````````
E+W`````````````Gate```````````````
`N`````````````````````````````````

D = Dieter
X = Company members
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:45 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Dieter is on a 5ft wide catwalk connecting two of four square "towers". In fact they are more like militarised rooftops than proper towers. There are four such rooftops all told.

West of him is an unprotected ledge over a 4ft drop to the shingled roof of the building below. It slopes steeply down toward the courtyard.

Each of the other four sides of the gatehouse look very similar.

There is no-one to be seen. All is quiet.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:53 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
At the Campsite

After a meal and a short rest, the ex-captives do indeed feel refreshed, but it has been a long, sleepless night for Nidhogg, and an exhausting few weeks prior for Koch.

(recovery rolls; 1d6; Nidhogg=2, Koch=6)

Despite his lengthy imprisonment Koch (the Hale) is indeed feeling surprisingly fit.

Current Health check:

Wibert AC6 8/8
Nidhogg AC7 7/8
Koch AC7 8/11

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:35 pm

danhem wrote:
Ulric waits for something to happen after Dieter climbs the wall. It soon becomes apparent that everything is quiet. For now.

"I'll join Dieter up top. If anything happens having the high ground will make my magic more effective. Perhaps two more with bows would be useful."

Ulric grabs Dieter's rope and begins to climb up, bracing his feet against the wall to take some of the burden.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:06 pm

heartless wrote:
Professor P wrote: Upon finishing his meal, KOCH feels invigorated, "That was wonderful Wibert, best meal I've had in some time, thank you. Now, I'm ready to get to work.

"I'm ready to go," he excited exclaims, while adjusting his helmet and shield.
"I'm glad you enjoyed the meal KOCH. Its good to be appreciated!", says Wibert.
"Shall we be off now? Where to first, shall we rejoin the others or go through they back door you found. I suggest we report to the others if we can find them, then decide where to go, with a plan together."

"Nidhogg do you have your weapons? I can lead you a dagger if need be?", asks Wibert.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:31 am

coffee wrote:
Once atop the wall, Dieter gets out his sling and readies a stone.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:12 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric attempts the climb after Dieter.

By the Gods it is difficult work -- little wonder then that wizards are prone to leave this kind of thing to fighting-Men.

(1d6=4)

Ulric (str 10) struggles and strains mightily. His pack seems to have doubled in weight and he earns numerous hot rope burns over his soft hands -- those will blister for sure.

Eventually (after twice as long as it took Dieter) Ulric scrambles desperately to pull himself over the battlement. Then, when it appears almost that Urlic is on the verge of letting go and falling to an untimely death, Dieter reaches down and, with one arm, hauls him up like a sack of potatoes.

Panting and sweating, Ulric rises to his feet and surveys the scene from the battlement...

Meanwhile, down below, the rest of the company is getting agitated... the open gateway yawns its lazy invitation...

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:30 pm

tonneau wrote:
"It would seem that I have misplaced my cigars", says Gustave, appearing from behind the north wall before Olaf, Pelenwin, and Desmond as they wait beneath the wall.
"If anyone is aware....", he adds, swishing his blade though the air, "of their whereabouts", swishing his blade with futher gusto, "I...would..be...most...happy...to...know...!", he finishes, with a zorro-esk flourish.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 pm

danhem wrote:
"My thanks," Ulric says to Dieter gasping for breath. "You made that look easy. I really need to hire a pack bearer."

Ulric glances down at the ground below and wonders how close he came to death. He shakes the thought from his mind and waves to the others to head inside.

Ulric squats down near the edge of the wall facing the interior of the gatehouse. He keeps his bow ready, prepares the words of the Somnolence in his mind, and scans the courtyard, towers, and, buildings for movement.

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:28 am

eris wrote:
tonneau wrote:"It would seem that I have misplaced my cigars", says Gustave, appearing from behind the north wall before Olaf, Pelenwin, and Desmond as they wait beneath the wall.
"If anyone is aware....", he adds, swishing his blade though the air, "of their whereabouts", swishing his blade with futher gusto, "I...would..be...most...happy...to...know...!", he finishes, with a zorro-esk flourish.
Olaf holds his nose, "And it looks like you found a pig sty. What happened to you?"

Return to “Hinterlands”