(026) Happenstance in Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:25 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Enlightened

Mads cocks an eyebrow. "My associate, Percantile here," he say more with his arms than his murmuring voice, "is a fellow with a kind heart." Miming to the bartender, he knocks his own head with his fist once or twice and rolls his eyes--oblivious to whether Percenier can see him or not. After a moment, he continues. "We're actually looking for a new line of work. We're strong, capable, and loyal enough if the pay's fair. I'd be sure to send a fair share of coin here, rather than the Axe, if you could offer us any assistance."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:56 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
The barkeep frowns slightly, perhaps unsure what to make of this dubious performance, but his eyes do linger a moment on Percy's bejeweled dagger -- perhaps re-evaluating the Men's station.

"There's plenty of space for patrons," he says, indicating the array of empty tables and chairs before the bar with a sweep of his arm.

"If it work you're after, you might talk to some of these merchants. They've usually a use for Men handy with a weapon... owing to the problems with thieves and raiders and all."
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:49 pm

verhaden wrote:
Mads the Enlightened

"Thieves and raiders? Are they more than the average problem around these parts?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 am

Valandil wrote:
Percy listens carefully to what the tavern keeper has to say.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
"You must be new to these parts," replies the barkeep with a dour grimace, but quiets his trap as a pair of merchant Men approach the bar.

"The place is crawling with Snorks and other unsavouries, in case you hand't noticed!" remarks the first rather curtly. He is a plump fellow with curly black hair and a red and blue robe.

"That ain't no lie." adds the second, a tall, skinny fellow with a tinge of grey in his beard and thinning hair. "It's hard enough to get a caravan through the Hinterlands -- the Snork patrols are near as bad for business as the raiders. And when you get to Ket, it seems there are more Snorks every time I visit!"

"Well, I ain't got no problem with them that conducts honest business," says the barkeep, grimly.

"Nor I!" replies the first merchant, "It's the dishonest ones I've got a problem with.".

They all seem to nod in agreement with this.

"Say," conjectures the thin merchant, rubbing the stubble on his chin thoughtfully, "You lads wouldn't be on the look for a bit of honest work now would you? We two have a bit of a.... problem, let's say, that needs... dealing with..."

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:33 am

Valandil wrote:
Percenier

"I'm interested. Lets sit down, and hear the details about your... problem."

Before sitting down, he takes his boardshield and puts it next to him, then does the same with his crossbow.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Percy, Mads and the two merchants move to a nearby table to continue their discussion...

...when all are seated, the thin merchant continues:

"Firstly, allow me to remember my manners! I am Hugo," he says with a deft swirl of his hand, "and this is my associate, Ingolf."

Ingolf gives slight inclination of his head in acknowledgement.

"We are humble purveyors who arrange the caravanning of goods overland to Ket from the interior of the Kingdom, and also the return journeys carrying what excesses are produced hereabouts along with whatever oddities might be imported from the lands to the west." Hugo explains.

"Simple enough," agrees Ingolf, "but of late our business is come under considerable distress caused, we are sure, by the conniving of Snorks who have bought themselves onto the Traders' Council."

"Just so!" Hugo agrees, and they both huff angrily about it.

"They seem to have a finger in every pocket, an ear in every conversation, and a boundless purse for bribery,"
complains Ingolf with a snort.

"And the roads are riddled with their security checkpoints, wherein they legally rob us blind! In short," says Hugo, leaning closer after looking around to ensure no-one else is listening in, "our enterprise will be ruined before summer if something isn't done."

"And we are in no mind to be ruined."
assures Ingolf.

"Quite so," agrees Hugo.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:11 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
"Now, I'm not suggesting you gentlemen do anything illegal," says Hugo.

"Oh, no, nothing of the sort," agrees Ingolf with a cunning grin, "But if a pair of frustrated citizens gave old Grumolg's Snorks a decent roughing up, and perhaps disturbed his offices,"...

..."or even looted them," interjects Hugo meaningfully, to which Ingolf raises his eyebrows in mock surprise...

"Well, that would be just the sort of message old Grumolg needed to hear, eh?"

"Not that we're suggesting you do anything foolish,"
repeats Hugo.

"No, never" smiles Ingulf.

"Just that a good few honest traders would see the silver lining if something like that were to happen, per chance..."(/b) says Hugo with a matter of fact grimace.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:17 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ingolf pulls a folded sheaf of paper from his breast pocket and slides slowly into the centre of the round table beneath his extended finger.

Hugo places a fat little purse on top of it with a clink.

"An invitation to Grumolg's Private Club," says Ingolf.

"And some spending money," says Hugo, "Why don't you boys have yourselves a look around?"

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Valandil wrote:
Percenier gets closer to Mads ear, and whispers:

"So, watcha think about this, brother? If you ask me, any coin is good coin..."

Return to “Hinterlands”