Rules Discussion

Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue May 10, 2011 1:12 am

Rules Discussion

waysoftheearth wrote:
crusssdaddy wrote:Can my Seer have Dwarf and Goblin as two of his languages? If so, what are the proper names for those? And is the 'Northern Tongue' a language that would be appropriate for someone from the former Kingdom of Arnor?
Yes, a seer can know these languages. The (otherwise) secret tongue of the Dwarves is called Khuzdul. The doggerel tongue of the Orcs is called TheBlack Speech (and Goblin and Orc are synonymous).

The Northern Tongue is probably a dialect of Westron; a more ancient form. Yes, it was formerly spoken in Arnor.

See here http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/www.uib.no/People/hnohf/ for many other language options (and check the Mannish Tongues link too).
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed May 11, 2011 1:05 am

Rules Discussion

calithena wrote:
I am wondering about your 4 in 6 for a fighter to perform any feat of physical prowess. I was going to jack my Strength to 17 - of course there is still the attack/damage bonus benefit from doing this. It's not a bad rule, I was just curious about how it interacted with Strength rolls.

Love the rules in general.

Also, any reason other than flavor to take the extra encumbrance for a pole axe, etc.?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed May 11, 2011 4:44 am

Rules Discussion

waysoftheearth wrote:
calithena wrote:I am wondering about your 4 in 6 for a fighter to perform any feat of physical prowess. I was going to jack my Strength to 17 - of course there is still the attack/damage bonus benefit from doing this. It's not a bad rule, I was just curious about how it interacted with Strength rolls.

Love the rules in general.

Also, any reason other than flavor to take the extra encumbrance for a pole axe, etc.?

I figure that PC class checks are more general than ability checks. A strength check is for something very specific, like to bend bars, or break down a door, and so on. A fighter's prowess check might be used for actions that take strength, coordination and fitness or time, such as charioteering, a series of athletic leaps, swimming underwater or against the current, and so on.

Pole axes (and two handed weapons in general) roll 3 damage dice, while normal sized swords, maces, and so on roll 2 damage dice.

See also the explanation of "damage dice" in the Men & Magic of Middle Earth thread.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Rules Discussion

ehiker133 wrote:
Just to make sure I understand correctly, Ways, you're definitely using the Encumbrance rules, with penalties if your Load is over your Capacity, right?
Encumbrance

A PC can carry as many bulk units as his strength score without strain.

Each additional bulk unit carried above and beyond a PC's strength will adjust d20 rolls (attacks and saves) by -1, and reduce movement rate.

2d6 rolls will be adjusted by -1 per 2 excess bulk carried, and 1d6 rolls will be adjusted by -1 per 3 excess bulk carried.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Rules Discussion

waysoftheearth wrote:
ehiker133 wrote:Just to make sure I understand correctly, Ways, you're definitely using the Encumbrance rules, with penalties if your Load is over your Capacity, right?
Of course [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

I will let you know if you are carrying too much.

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 13, 2011 2:32 pm

Rules Discussion

ehiker133 wrote:
Ok. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't worrying about it for nothing!

Good to know your worrying is useful, right? [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by waysoftheearth » Fri May 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Rules Discussion

waysoftheearth wrote:
It may also interested you to know, then, that I will be tracking food and water separately.

Fresh rations will last at most 2 days.

Trail rations will not count as "refreshment" for the purpose of resting, except that lembas (Elvish trail rations) will. Only Elvish/Half-Elvish PCs can have any at the start of play, however.

Each person will require 2 quarts of fluid per day of "adventurous" activity (or a minimum of 1 quart per day if idle). A 2 quart flask or skin of fluid with stopper and shoulder strap is 1 bulk unit equivalent.

Note that the wineskin and waterskins listed on the equipment sheet erroneously state "1 quart". In fact they should state "2 quarts".

Elves/Half-Elves can take water or wine, Dwarves can take beer or water, Men and Hobbits can take all three. Using up an additional quart of fluid (over and above minimum intake) will count as "refreshment".

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Rules Discussion

sulldawga wrote:
Is there any penalty for using a sling if there's an enemy adjacent to you?

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:33 pm

Rules Discussion

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Is there any penalty for using a sling if there's an enemy adjacent to you?
If the enemy is already within melee distance, then it will be very difficult to get a sling shot off, as he could easily spoil your wind-up.

Because Largo is a very dexterous Hobbit, I'd allow it if he wins an initiative roll. But if he looses the initiative roll, his attack will be forfeit this round.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Rules Discussion

kesher wrote:
These rules are awesome! Combat is an appropriately deadly affair indeed...

Return to “Moria”