Requests to Join (Heroes in the Making)

Waysoftheearth's Moria PBP

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:24 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Great character concept Bert ;D

Oin's 6,000 XP make him a 3rd level Sneak (see http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=1#70583here).

That and his 13 constitution give him 2+3 HD (see http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=1#70377here and http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=1#70372here). I.e., 2d6+3 hit points -- I will roll those for you just before you get underway (and again after each night of full bed-rest).

Now you are welcome to spend some of your ill gotten silver on gear and/or hirelings. The cost of gear is listed http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5690here. Of course, your being a Dwarf means you pay only 25% of the listed price for Dwarf-made armour (if you so choose it). Any other goods will cost you 5x the list price if Dwarf-made, or the standard list price if Man-made.

Number of hirelings allowed is detailed http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?ac ... ge=2#71658here. Yours will be Dwarves by default, although with 5 charisma you won't have many!

Once you have your equipment sorted I'll help you with the game stats...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:01 am

sulldawga wrote:
Taking over Largo so Ways has one less NPC to worry about. His stats below should look about the same as the original version, except his Cha is lower and his Wis higher. So, yeah, you've got one cranky hobbit on your hands now.

I have no idea if the Gear list is still accurate...

.~-= Largo Harfoot =-~. of The Shire

Story
Largo€™s past was unremarkable. Very much like Largo himself. Plenty of potential, but nothing ever quite worked out as planned. The thing that led to his life on the road being a prime example:
Largo€™s father Palego Harfoot was a leaf farmer located well off the beaten track between the Shire and Brie. Largo helped Palego in the family business. It occurred to Largo while travelling to market with the annual crops, that he could make a pretty penny more this year and Palego would never be the wiser...
After the scales tipped a very high price, Largo happily pocketed the excess, Palego got what he was expecting and everyone was happy.
Everyone. Except the big folk when they found rocks in their bales of leaf.
That was the catalyst for a gang of big folk paying a visit to papa Palego€™s farm one night, to teach him a lesson and recover their coin. When the coin couldn€™t be found and when the old hobbit couldn€™t come up with answers when put to the question, he was locked in his own house which was put to the torch while Largo watched, cowering unseen from beyond the hedgerow.
That were five years ago. Since then, Largo€™s been on the move. Doing what comes natural. Helping himself to the easy pickings, bartering a better deal and picking up on any opportunity that comes his way...

Biology : Hobbit
Alignment : Selfish
Languages : Westron

Class & Levels : Sneak 3
Experience Points : 6,000
XP Bonus : +5%
Hit Dice : 2+2
Hit Points : (ref will roll my hp)

Armour Class : 4/6 (elvish chain, dex-1, halfhd-1 )
Saving Throw : 13

Abilities
STR : 8
INT : 15
WIS : 13
DEX : 17
CON : 12
CHA : 5

Gear
(Of recent Hollander make unless stated otherwise)
dagger
sling
pouch belt (with stones)
elven chain
backpack
candle
lantern, hooded
locksmith tools
oil 1 flask
rations 1 week train
rope silk 60 foot
tinderbox
waterskin 2 quarts
2 sacks
pony (Doloris, the old nag)
saddle & harness
saddlebags

Wealth
146 silver pennies
10 copper pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 8
Load = 8
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 pm

bert wrote:
Oin of Ironload
Alignment : Selfish
Languages : Westron, Dwarvish

Class & Levels : Sneak 3
Experience Points : 6,000
XP Bonus : +??%
Hit Dice : 2+3
Hit Points : (ref will roll my hp)

Armour Class : 4 (Dwarvish Ringmail, Small Shield, Helmet, -1 Dex)
Saving Throw : + 2 vs poison, staves, spells, rays, and breath weapons +4 vs wands.

Abilities
STR : 12
INT : 12
WIS : 8
DEX : 16
CON : 13
CHA : 5

Gear (D means dwarvish)
D Ringmail
D Axe
D Small Shield
D Crossbow
D Helmet
40 Bolts
Case for crossbow and bolts
Back Pack
Chalk, 5 bits
Bedroll
D Crowbar
20 Candles
D Locksmiths Tools
5 leaves of Parchment
Ounce of Ink
Steel pen
5 sacks
Tinderbox
6 Torches
Fine Dwarvish hand harp

Wealth
650 silver pennies

Encumbrance
Capacity = 12
Load = 12

Hirelings
By some chance he has found three drinking buddies cum henchmen willing to put up with him and try their luck in the mines.

Glorban, Mercenary - Tough Blue Mountain Dwarf who likes a bevvy as much as Oin. Don't like Trolls though. Just don't mention the Trolls.

Yori, Guide - A Lonely Mountain Dwarf who reckons his grandad lived in Moria back in the old days, has been hanging around the caves since the end of the War of the Ring trying to claim any recovered loot off adventurers as heirlooms of his family.

Ugrik, Lackey - broken wreck who spent much of his life as a slave of the goblins, now gets ordered about for a pittance of pay by this bunch of drunken dwarf thieves, which he tells himself is a step up in the world, even when fetching the piss bucket.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Great job Bert [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

A few minor amendments to Oin's game stats...

XP Adjustment is -5% (due to his 8 wisdom).
AC front/rear is 3/6 (Dwarfish ringmail base AC 6), -1 dex, -1 shield, -1 HD/2.
Saving throw (unmodified) is 13.

If he also wears a helmet his AC will instead be (front/rear) 2/5, however he will also loose his Sneak's benefit of surprising enemy 4 in 6, and being surprised himself only 1 in 6.

Oin's starting hit points shall be (2d6=3,4) 10.

I have been over the costs and encumbrance of Oin's gear... and also added 1 week of supplies. Seeing as the west gate of Moria is five days hike from Edhil, this would be a bare minimum required.

So, I have the cost of his purchases at 737sp and 77cp, leaving him with 556sp and 5cp. This sum assumes that Oin has paid his three "hirelings" (a.k.a. drinking buddies) 30sp, which is a week in advance -- the minimum they will agree to accompany him on this "hair-brained" mission for.

Might I suggest it would also be wise to purchse some supplies with which to feed the hired help? And also some basic gear will make them far more effective!

Note also that Oin is presently encumbered (although his "help" could be made to carry some of his chatels...)

Oin (Dwarf Sn3, AC3/6, HD 2+3, hp 10/10, Load 16/12)

Clothing, Backpack (1), Bedroll (1), Purse {556sp 5cp}, Waterskin {1 quart} (1), Trail rations {2 days*}, Dwarf ringmail (2), Dwarf axe (1), Dwarf small shield (1), Dwarf helmet (1), Dwarf crossbow (1), boltcase (2), bolts {40}, Chalk {5}, Dwarf crowbar (1), Candles {20} (1), Dwarf locksmith's tools, Parchment {5 leaves}, Ink, Steel pen, Sack {5}, Torches {6} (1), Tinderbox, Dwarf small harp (1).

* 2 days of trail rations remaining after the 5 day hike from Edhil to the west gate of Moria.

You can go ahead and post Oin on the Player Character Sheets thread http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=5665here.

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:04 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
sulldawga wrote:Taking over Largo so Ways has one less NPC to worry about. His stats below should look about the same as the original version, except his Cha is lower and his Wis higher. So, yeah, you've got one cranky hobbit on your hands now.

I have no idea if the Gear list is still accurate...
Thanks Sulldawga... 'tis always good to have one more PC [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

I like your undated background... looks like Largo is not an entirely honest Hobbit after all!

You can go ahead a post Largo's updated sheet on the Player Character Sheets thread.

I'll go over your equipment and encumbrance tonight and let you know exactly what gear and supplies Largo still has.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 am

sulldawga wrote:
I'd love to take credit for the background but it was the work of Largo's original owner. All I'm responsible for is making him distinctly unlikable... that is, unless he continues to bulls-eye Orcs in the face!

I adjusted the background a bit. Can't imagine any hobbit too scared to rescue his pa but brave enough to enter Moria!

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:35 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Well done Bert [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

I will roll three strength stats to see how much gear your hirelings can carry unencumbered... Glorban=13, Yori=11, Ugrik=10.

With this information you may want to trim some of the excess bulk they are carrying... also, you have noted the bulk of a few items incorrectly;

Glorban's poleaxe: (2) not (3),
Ugrik's leather armour: (2) not (1).

Yori and Ugrik are essentially non-combatant, so probably don't really need armour or helmets (if you are looking for bulk to cut).

I'll get you started in game shortly -- keep an eye on the Gate Camp thread.

Good luck [img]images/smiley/smiley.png[/img]

Post by mgtremaine » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:14 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
I'd like to join up. Not sure if it is easy to bring in a new character to the base camp or if you would rather recycle an NPC..... I've read through the threads, err, it looks dangerous. One room in and plenty of Trolls , Orcs, and death.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
mgtremaine wrote:I'd like to join up. Not sure if it is easy to bring in a new character to the base camp or if you would rather recycle an NPC..... I've read through the threads, err, it looks dangerous. One room in and plenty of Trolls , Orcs, and death.

-Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your interest; you are most welcome to join! Unfortunately I have a suspicion that the game is beginning to dry up... but let's assume it is not.

The base camp is presently under attack by scores of Orcs in the middle of the night. The Orcs won a deadly surprise round, and are flooding into the camp site as adventurers and hirelings tumble out of their bedrolls in the night.

Perhaps your timely arrival might provoke a few of the other players to action?

I think it might work best if you were to try your hand at one of the PCs already at the camp who has not received direction from his player for quite a while. These PCs are:

Elindir, Half-Elven Bard (3rd level),
Baraglin Banks, Hobbit Sneak (4th level),
Dernfara, Rohirrim Man of Westfold, Ranger (level 4),
Hrok son of Brok, Dwarf Fighter (level 3),
Oin of Ironload, Dwarf Fighter (level 3).

I would confirm that the current player is happy to "let go" their PC before handing any of them over to you, so perhaps you might propose two or three choices?

Let me know...

Post by mgtremaine » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 pm

mgtremaine wrote:
Well it would be faithless of me to withdraw without at least giving it a try. If it goes down in flames and blood, Ill try to join your Hinterlands game. [img]images/smiley/wink.png[/img]

Tricky choices.... (In order)

Baraglin seems the most fully formed, I can probably slip into that character easily.
Hrok looks unfinished so that might a good choice. Although he is already 5 down in this battle.
Elindir, because I see the player has already said they would be away.

-Mike
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Return to “Moria”