Primordial Ooze -- PCs in the Making

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:31 pm

loki wrote:
hay i'm new to this and I don't know what to do a little bit
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:57 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
Loki,

Your ability rolls are:

S: 4,3,1 = 8
I: 5,4,3 = 12
W: 5,5,3 = 13
D: 4,3,5 = 12
C: 5,2,5 = 12
Ch: 5,1,3 = 9
loki wrote:hay i'm new to this and I don't know what to do a little bit
Do you mean you're entirely new to D&D? Or new to play-by-post? Either way I can help you get going.

A very good place to start is to have a read of the house rules thread http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/8034/ ... -revisitedhere which explain your basic options. If you have any questions feel free to ask me right here in this thread.

You can replace any one die in your ability rolls with a "6" (subject to the racial limitations mentioned in the house rules thread), and you will start with 126 silver pieces, which is the maximum possible (I rolled 3d6=18!).

The cost of goods is listed http://odd74.proboards.com/thread/3426/price-goodshere. You do not have to pay 133% of the listed costs for your starting gear.

You can discuss your character concept here, and we'll work out the details together.

Enjoy...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

loki wrote:
thanks

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:40 pm

loki wrote:
is it something like warhammer then by my guess

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:13 pm

loki wrote:
I'm not sure what to be Templar, magic user or fighter which one do you say

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:48 am

waysoftheearth wrote:
Hi /user/2269loki,

D&D is, perhaps, something like warhammer, but each player controls a single individual character rather than a whole army. The idea is you kit your character out for exploring underground dungeons full of traps, monsters and treasure, and then try to get as much treasure as you can without dying. You have the best chance of success if you work together with other players trying to achieve the same thing.

The simplest type of character to play is probably a fighter. Perhaps you should start with one of those?

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:36 pm

loki wrote:
ok thanks I'll go fighter

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:37 pm

loki wrote:
now how do I like start this dungeon thing

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

eris wrote:
loki wrote:now how do I like start this dungeon thing
Loki, it looks like you're new to this sort of gaming. I, on the other hand, an an old timer, so I'm going to give you a little advice to take, or not, as you see fit, okay?

Once you're ready to go, finished your character, bought equipment and so on the Game Master (that's Ways) will describe a scene to you...maybe you'll be at the head of a set of dark stairs; or walking through a foreboding forest. You will then react to the scene that he describes...maybe you decide to light a torch and go down the stairs, or stop and listen before you descend; or if you started in a forest maybe you prepare your bow and look and listen for anything out of place before continuing along the path. After you post your reaction, Ways will post again with more information and you will post and so on. If you run into monsters that want to kill you you'll read about it and will try to avoid dying (don't be too proud to run, because you'll start pretty weak in this game and most things you run into can kill you quickly).

Finding other adventurers to team up with will give you a better chance of surviving, plus it will give you other characters (and players to talk to). Interacting with other players is a big part of the fun in this sort of game, so I'd strongly suggest teaming up as quickly as possible.

Good luck and I hope you have fun!

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:38 pm

waysoftheearth wrote:
loki wrote:ok thanks I'll go fighter
There's a little bit more to it than just that.

You need to "create" your fighter before he/she can join the game.

You have to assign you abilities scores, choose an alignment (chaotic, neutral, lawful), decide whether your fighter will be human, or an elf or dwarf or halfling. Then you need to choose what armour, weapons, and other equipment you want to buy with your starting silver.

Then we can get started.

As you seem unfamiliar with all this, I'd strongly urge to you read the rules of creating characters.

If you don't have the rules already, you can download a free copy of Delving Deeper from rpgnow http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=4757here. Delving Deeper is a "restatement" of the original D&D rules under the Open Game License. It's a pretty close match to the rules we're playing here. You'll be interested mainly in the first half of the first booklet. It will only take you 30 minutes to read it, and it will give you a good overview of what this is all about.

Have a read of that, then you'll better understand how to create your first fighter...

Return to “Retired Threads”