(009) Return to Ket

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:34 am

(009) Return to Ket

danhem wrote:
"Hundreds of years old, you say?" Ulric says in astonishment. "That is interesting. Tell me," Ulric looks over his shoulder to make sure no crowds of goblins have appeared outside. "What can you tell me of these items?"

Ulric places the scepter, idol, plain gold ring, and iron key on the bench for inspection.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 am

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Gustave & Caine; Brigitta's Lavaliere

"You are ever so kind," piques Brigitta at Gustave, almost blushing at his high praise.

"I would happily purchase the damaged choker and the guilded letter opener, for I can repair and clean these to make a businessable profit from them. But it is the ring and the crimson gemstone that I am most eager to secure." she reiterates, her gaze lingering long on the white gold ring.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:39 am

(009) Return to Ket

heartless wrote:
Padrig speaks with weight in his voice, "Brother knights, it was a sad day in deed for me to come across the slain bodies of two templar knights three days ago. One may be known to you by the name Sir Rodrick Baerrik of your order." Padrig waits a second seeing the shock in their eyes. Then continues, "The other from my Knightly order called Krystin Heilwig and whos bravery in death may have well saved my life and those she aligned herself with."

"I am told Sir Rodrick Baerrik died fighting on the front line against an unholy water demon that come from a Fountain found unground in some ruins a days march from here. He was a brave knight without any fear, and will be remembered for his valour. His faithful companions, I came around were bringing his belonging back to this temple, as right they should in honour of Sir Rodrick Baerrik sacrifice."

"I present to you Sir Rodrick Baerrik's helm, holy symbol, coin purse and The Book of Solemn Contemplation".

"My fellow knight Krystin died defending herself against hobgoblins on the road. My blood still boils at the thought of what happened. As a brother knight templar can you tell me what is happening around here with hobgolins and goblins walking around so freely? "

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:52 am

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Flewellen; The Traders' Concourse

The bent old librarian shuffles off in the darkness muttering something harmless to himself, leaving Flewellen to begin his long and tedious search.

He begins with those tomes that are piled knee and waist high on the tiny cramped floor space, examining first the title of each tome and trying to sort them into those that might be of interest against those that might not.

However, he soon finds that at least half are penned in scripts he is just passingly or wholly unfamiliar with. These he shifts into a new pile for later scrutiny. Of those he can read right away, many are in ancient tongues or very obscure hands, and make for difficult reading. It is painfully slow going, but as the hours wane Flewellen gradually moves through those ledgers that begun upon the floor, and onto the lower shelves of the first of five tall bookcases that surround him.

His eyes pass over scores of dusty old tomes detailing the histories of lands and families and expeditions, or treaties or accounts of battles, political fortunes, or bizarre bestiaries from far away lands. There are manuals detailing the construction of armour, fortifications, siege engines, mine shafts, and unfathomable apparatus. There is poetry and song intended for forgotten courts to be sung by Men and Elves and Dwarfs. This goes on and on and on, but still he searches...

At last Flewellen comes across what appears to be an alchemist's journal detailing experiments in the identification of various metals which, after some long reading, hints at the use of a sorcerous divination. This looks promising, but by this time, the lantern flame is beginning to flicker for lack of fuel, and Flewellen suddenly realises he is famished. He must have been reading for hours!

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:12 am

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Ulric & Olaf; The Erstwhile Emporium

Jurgen raises his eyebrows slightly at the appearance of these new items.

"I would'a liked to have seen this grubby old cellar for myself," he half chuckles half wheezes, "You sure it wasn't someone's bank vault?" then flicks a momentary glance to the street side. When all appears to be well, he returns his attention to the business before him.

He picks up each item in his thick fingers and scrutinises them in turn under his bright lamp light, using his eye piece for a closer looks where necessary.

"Hmmm," he murmurs to himself as he examines the small oynx idol. "This here looks to be an Neverun period carving, unfortunately unsigned by the sculptor, so it could be anyone's. I could part with... 20 silver for it." He picks up the plain gold ring and looks it over carefully. "A slightly dinted gold ring, worth its metal weight, likely 2 or 3 crowns."

"Now this," He shakes the black iron key at Olaf and Ulric accusingly, "is Goblin-crafted or I'm a fish. And recent too. I don't even want to know how you came by it." he tosses it aside and picks up the scepter and examines it for a good while, getting right down into the detailed etching upon it.

"At last among the clutter we find something interesting," he wheezes, almost to himself as he continues his examination. "Well, well indeed. You boys might have something here. Couldn't say for sure, but this could well be a religious artifact of the early Yesterage. By this tiny writing on it, I'd say Hermetic, or earlier." he wheezes, now seriously enthralled with the item.

But just a moment later he suddenly finishes his examination, puts the scepter down as he straightens his hunched spine and announces, "There's no doubt this Hermetic artifact here could be worth something to a collector with coin to spare. Hows about I give you boys a hundred gold crowns for all this stuff you found? How'd that be?" his pebble eyes seem to be looking for any kind of reaction. "Have either of you boys seen a hundred weight of gold? Oh, it's a pretty sight," he assures you with another wheezy chuckle...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm

(009) Return to Ket

waysoftheearth wrote:
Padrig; The Temple of Thuul

"This is grevious news indeed," says Sir Hector, and all of the Knights stand silent for a moment with their heads bowed.

"Sir Padirg," says Tor in a stony voice, "It is a noble act that you return here to deliver news of our fallen Brother Knight, and that you bring us his most precious goods. For this we are deeply thankful, and offer what service we are able to render in return. When you have need of us, you have but to ask." his clear blue eyes piercing Padrig as he speaks.

The gathered Templars all murmur their ascent.

"We will conduct a service for our Brother, ere dusk falls. Tor continues. "You may appease your Worldly needs here, if it pleases you. There are baths here, and simple wine and victuals, if it pleases you. Hector will show you the way."

Tor collects Rodrick's gear from Padrig and all five Knights bow deeply before Padrig, then prepare to go about their duties. Hector awaits...

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm

(009) Return to Ket

tonneau wrote:
"I will pass on your most generous offers to the family of my friend here", says Gustave, gathering up the appraised items. "With any luck,", he adds with a wink, "I will be back before the day is out". And with that, he bows deeply and leads Caine outside.
Outside, he sucks a lungfull of fresh air, savouring his moment. " I think we have learned much, my dumb friend", he notes, with a sly grin, " Perhaps it is now time to inform the others of our new intelligence. We should return to the Plow".

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:27 am

(009) Return to Ket

tombowings wrote:
waysoftheearth wrote:Flewellen; The Traders' Concourse

The bent old librarian shuffles off in the darkness muttering something harmless to himself, leaving Flewellen to begin his long and tedious search.

He begins with those tomes that are piled knee and waist high on the tiny cramped floor space, examining first the title of each tome and trying to sort them into those that might be of interest against those that might not.

However, he soon finds that at least half are penned in scripts he is just passingly or wholly unfamiliar with. These he shifts into a new pile for later scrutiny. Of those he can read right away, many are in ancient tongues or very obscure hands, and make for difficult reading. It is painfully slow going, but as the hours wane Flewellen gradually moves through those ledgers that begun upon the floor, and onto the lower shelves of the first of five tall bookcases that surround him.

His eyes pass over scores of dusty old tomes detailing the histories of lands and families and expeditions, or treaties or accounts of battles, political fortunes, or bizarre bestiaries from far away lands. There are manuals detailing the construction of armour, fortifications, siege engines, mine shafts, and unfathomable apparatus. There is poetry and song intended for forgotten courts to be sung by Men and Elves and Dwarfs. This goes on and on and on, but still he searches...

At last Flewellen comes across what appears to be an alchemist's journal detailing experiments in the identification of various metals which, after some long reading, hints at the use of a sorcerous divination. This looks promising, but by this time, the lantern flame is beginning to flicker for lack of fuel, and Flewellen suddenly realises he is famished. He must have been reading for hours!
"Finally," Flewellen mutters to himself, "I hint of good luck.". Flewellen looks through the book for identifying marks--no one would miss it if he took the old, alchemist's journal into his possession would they? Back and forth wonders.

But hunger dons upon him. And, wait! The flame, it's been hours. The library must be closed and I must be locked in. I guess filching the book isn't an option after all. Flewellen decides to refill his lantern, eat a couple of his preserved rations and continue his studies until he becomes too tired to carry one. And really, this alchemists journal is quite interesting.

Taking out paper, ink, and quill Flewellen makes precarious notes to himself on the nature of anything interesting he discovers. Should he finish with the alchemists journal--which looks doubtful--Flewellen will once again take up the search for the The Exigent Secernment.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:24 am

(009) Return to Ket

heartless wrote:
Padrig bows back, "You are most generous, thank you I am in need of a rest and will stay the night."

Padrig asks Tor, "If I may, your temple bring much peace to my heart and I am in need to create some scrolls in such an ideal quiet place before I venture from Ket again. Are you able to aid me and provide me also with materials such as quill, ink, papers for the task?"

OOC: Padrig wishes to copy this 4x scroll spells into his spell book, so not to loose the spells. Then create some scrolls from the spell book to use. In that way he doesn't loose the spells he has on scrolls.

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:49 am

(009) Return to Ket

danhem wrote:
"That is a most generous offer," Ulric says to Jergen. "Tell you what. I'll take 70 silver for the cup and idol. I may come back later to discuss the other items."

Ulric packs the other items back into his backpack. If Jergen agrees he will take the money and head back to the Plow.

Return to “Hinterlands”