Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by acodispo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 pm

Re: Out Of Character

Well, they must have found a way to fix it without coming out here -- we're back on the internet! Thank goodness, I was going through cat video withdrawal. :roll:
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:33 pm

Welcome back! :)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:07 pm

mushgnome wrote:Welcome back! :)
Thanks!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by rredmond » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 pm

acodispo wrote:I was going through cat video withdrawal.
:lol:
Welcome back!
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:35 am

Anybody watching Lovecraft Country on HBO?

You know I wouldn't miss it for the world! :D
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:56 pm

mushgnome wrote:Anybody watching Lovecraft Country on HBO?

You know I wouldn't miss it for the world! :D
No, but... I have HBO Max, so I'll see if it's one of the shows they offer.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:47 pm

Only one episode of Lovecraft Country has aired. Very promising so far! I wish all the episodes were out so I could binge-watch it. It is Jordan Peele produced, so if you liked Get Out, you'll love this. Another comparison people are making is the HBO Watchmen series, if you enjoyed that? Lots of genre-hopping, audacious tonal shifts, multifaced characters, sly wink-wink to the audience, mocking horror tropes while simultaneously milking them for full effect, etc.

The writers made the smart move that the protagonist is well-read and always has a pulp novel in his pocket. This cuts through a lot of tedious exposition. For example the first time Arkham is mentioned, instead of "Arkham? What's that?" he casually says "Oh, you mean where Herbert West the Reanimator is from?" and reaches down a book from the Lovecraft section of his bookshelf, flips it open to the right page. And there are a bunch of easter eggs and visual puns referencing John Carter, War of the Worlds, Evil Dead, etc.

Watching it helped me put my finger on what I like about Lovecraftian horror vs. cheesy slasher flicks: Instead of bad things happening to stupid people because they're foolishly in the wrong place at the wrong time ("let's make out in the abandoned insane asylum"), in Lovecraftian horror, bad things happen to smart people because they're in the right place at the right time (a decision which they soon come to regret). It's about the irresistible urge of needing to know the forbidden lore, no matter what the cost.

Post by acodispo » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Sounds like a really fun show! I saw a trailer or teaser last night & it looks beautifully shot. I think I heard it's based on a book? I'm wondering if I should read before watching.
mushgnome wrote:Instead of bad things happening to stupid people because they're foolishly in the wrong place at the wrong time ("let's make out in the abandoned insane asylum"), in Lovecraftian horror, bad things happen to smart people because they're in the right place at the right time (a decision which they soon come to regret). It's about the irresistible urge of needing to know the forbidden lore, no matter what the cost.
I love this distinction! :D

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:07 pm

It is based on a book, which I haven't read yet. I'm going in fresh and unspoilered. I couldn't tell you if the series sticks closely to the book, or if it's just a loose adaptation.

They do a really great job not shying away from the thorny "separating the author from the text from real-world social issues" question. For example early on, our protagonist is asked, "How can you be a black man and root for John Carter? Wasn't he a captain in the Confederate army, fighting to preserve slavery?" (And our hero's answer basically sums up the overarching theme of the series; I won't try to paraphrase it because it's brilliant.)

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:03 pm

If anyone is interested in HPL and enjoys podcasts, there is a great one that analyzes the various stories and... I don't know what else they discuss, but there are 510 episodes. I haven't made it through 1/4 of them.

The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast is what it's called.

The Call of Cthulhu Mystery Program by Omniverse is another great Cthulhu podcast, but this is a semi-improvised theatre podcast. They have two seasons in the books that you can listen to. I thought the third season was coming out soon or should have been out by now, but I can't remember when that is.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”