Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by rredmond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

"Hmm, I did encourage the popping of those puff balls by my comrades," Noh says, stroking his non-existent beard pensively, "but there should be plenty of spores for collecting! Plus I'd be honored to accompany you on your quest."
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by rredmond » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm

"Not afraid of the dark, but a little afraid of what might be in that dark."
Oops, sorry didn't see the last couple DM posts... not sure why!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:36 am

mushgnome wrote:Delving Deeper rules seem to imply that PCs can pass along an inheritance to a designated heir (i.e. a replacement character), minus 20% estate tax. Has anyone used this rule in actual play? How did it go, was it fun? Did you award XP to the replacement PC for the GP value of the inheritance, or did you start them out at 0XP?
I don't recall the exact words off the top of my head--but I have a hazy recall that this one is more-or-less about the PC creating a will (or similar) in game. If the PC has done so, then their worldly goods can be passed on to their so-named heir. I think the original specifies the heir has to be a "relative" so it kinda gives the player a bit of scope to run (at least part of) a family rather than just one individual...

I can't claim to have ever seen it used in anger though, but it sure sounds like fun :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:34 pm

The main thing I don't love about that inheritance rule, from a meta-gamey perspective, is that it's an extra layer of "planning ahead," which slightly contradicts the theme I associate with old-school play, "Your character will probably die, but that's fine: You can roll up a new PC in 5 minutes and jump back in the game." I'd just assume say, that any future-replacement-PC-to-be-named-later can crawl out of the woodwork, to claim the inheritance. Keep it loose and spontaneous.

One of the ideas I flirted with, when I was first planning this campaign, was an answer to the question, "What happens when your Hobbet PC reaches maximum 4th level? What then?" I toyed with the idea, that at that point, you would add a second PC under your control. So for example the same player would control both Frodo and Sam, as their primary and secondary PCs. (And if you got Sam up to 4th level, then you could have a 3rd, and eventually 4th, 5th, 6th Hobbet PC.) This would create a built-in "succession/inheritance" system, whereby for example, if Frodo dies, then Sam becomes the primary PC and takes up the Ring, and it stays under control of the same player.

The more I think about this, the more I'm leaning towards, I just want to handle it socially within the game. When your PC dies, their treasure goes in the party's "kitty" and the surviving PCs can scavenge through their equipment for useful items. When you roll up a replacement PC, you start with the standard 30-180gp, no more, no less. The other Hobbets, in the interest of building the most formidable team, might choose to help out equipping the newcomer (or not). Maybe the other PCs would give your replacement PC extra gold, to buy better equipment, or maybe they'd even pass down a magic item from your fallen PC. This is perhaps an incentive toward good role-playing of character death: If your PC goes out heroically, sacrificing themselves for the good of the group, then the other players would be more inclined to pass some of your old PC's items along to your replacement PC.

Finally, a deep thought about the difference between "treasure" and "money" in my campaigns: "Treasure" has a near-mystical quality, that it's a lost resource, that's been taken out of the economy and lessens the community. Buried pirate treasure, dragon's lair, mummy's hoard. That's why you get XP for finding it and bringing it back: you are boosting the economy and benefiting Lawful civilization. But once the XP is awarded, the mystical quality is drained, and it just becomes "money." So two different PCs can't get XP from the same treasure, for example, I would be disinclined to ever award XP for inherited funds. It's not "treasure" any more at that point; just "money." (The exception is if the money gets taken out of circulation by bad guys: for example stolen by bandits. At that point it becomes "treasure" again.)
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 pm

Or, here's a goofy and fun take on the idea of inheritance, that we probably won't use, but is amusing to think about: What if every adventurer has a greedy NPC relative waiting in the wings to inherit their fortunes when they die? The player can give the relative a name and description if they like, or leave it to the DM, but no matter what, 80% of the fallen PC's wealth is passing out of play, and into NPC hands. The 20% "tax" is all that passes along to the replacement PC (and perhaps that could include a cherished magic item or "precious"). And if the party fails to recover a fallen comrade's body and/or treasure, then they might face the wrath of an angry relative, demanding the party assist with funeral expenses to the tune of 30-180gp.

@acodispo, you started the conversation. What are your thoughts?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mgtremaine » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:19 pm

Kiplyn is not sure if he is afraid of the dark or not but it willing to go. He does put his treasure into the bank except for an extra 25gp in coins."You never know".
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:14 pm

mushgnome wrote:What if every adventurer has a greedy NPC relative waiting in the wings to inherit their fortunes when they die?
So there are Sackville Bagginses in this game??? :D

Post by acodispo » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:28 pm

Willie gulps. He is pretty sure he is afraid of the dark. He didn't used to be, but every time the lights have gone out down there, that darned Spider-Goat has been involved. But he says:

"W-we'll find our way through the dark, I guess, Ms. Ursa, ma'am. If it's absolutely n-n-necesary."

Gulp.
The inheritance rule exists in my OD&D/DD game, but I added a requirement that the PC hire a lawyer to draft a will as a downtime action. Strangely, so far no one has availed themselves of this service! :D The party keeps whatever they can take off their comrade's corpse during the expedition, but any funds in the bank are seized, any any other possessions are auctioned off by the powers-that-be.
mushgnome wrote:Or, here's a goofy and fun take on the idea of inheritance, that we probably won't use, but is amusing to think about: What if every adventurer has a greedy NPC relative waiting in the wings to inherit their fortunes when they die?
In a kind of perverse way, I love this idea, and I think it is well supported by the original rule:
Book I: Men & Magic wrote:The referee may allow players to designate one relative of his character to inherit his possessions if for any reason the participant unexpectedly disappears, [...] If the character returns, he takes possession of his estate once more. [...] Loyalty of the relative in such a circumstance would be at a penalty of from 0 to -6, and he would possibly intrigue to regain control.
(emphasis mine)
:twisted:

It's my view that the original inheritance rule is less a "physics" rule and more a "culture" rule, drawn from the social mechanisms of the original campaigns. I.e. it's an "in character" rule, really, and referees should feel very free to change it or adapt it to the social realities of their world.

In any case, for purposes of this game I think this is a very fine system:
mushgnome wrote:When your PC dies, their treasure goes in the party's "kitty" and the surviving PCs can scavenge through their equipment for useful items. When you roll up a replacement PC, you start with the standard 30-180gp, no more, no less. The other Hobbets, in the interest of building the most formidable team, might choose to help out equipping the newcomer (or not).
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:04 am

All sounds like great fun to me. Interested to see how any of these variations fly in play. Let's hope nobody gets to die too soon though :)

Regarding the level cap for Hobbets; it's something that's come up in a number of my games. A couple of routes I've explored are:
1. The Hobbet automatically becomes a combination fighter/thief after reaching the cap, with 50% of all earned XP thereafter going into each class (and so "wasting" the 50% of XP going into FM). This is a rubbery-Greyhawk-ish option (technically, GH allows a Hobbit to be only a fighter OR a thief).
2. Level limits are "soft"; the Hobbet PC can still progress after reaching the soft cap, but thereafter requires four times the regular XP.

The first option assumes you have thieves. It also results in Hobbets more-or-less keeping pace with other player types, so it kinda neuters the level cap.
The second option is a kinda nice compromise that slows Hobbet PCs without completely nerfing them in a game that progresses beyond Hero territory.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:25 pm

I will be posting the next Adventure today, so last call for equipment purchases etc.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”