Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

kipper wrote:Dame Simonetta considers that Ursa's appearance is not auspicious and is about to give a sniff of disapproval, but the intake of air served to remind her of her own condition and instead she nods politely. "Good Morning. I am Simonetta Clytie LaJolle. If you will excuse me, I am afraid I am in a dreadful state." She heads off for a wash up, and then returns to settle down to a slice of pie with egg and cheddar.
Frederick shows Dame Simonetta to the basin in the back room, where she can have some privacy to wash. He also shows her the lost & found box and says she can help herself to the discarded items, if she needs a clean scarf, bobby pins, cosmetics, or whatever.

When Dame Simonetta rejoins her friends in the dining room, Ursa Underfoot gives a matronly cluck and says, "I bet that feels much better! Nothing quite like brushing off the dust after a grand Adventure."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:59 pm

OOC: Your DM forgot an important detail for the new players. Let's go back and insert this scene, chronologically, just as our Heroes climb the ladder out of the dungeon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The newest members of the Club are wondering, what to do with the treasure? (750gp and 130gp value jewelry)

Fortunately, there is a convenient system, which the veterans are happy to explain:

The restaurant's storeroom is full of crates, sacks, and barrels of flour, sugar, syrup, etc. If you know where to look, there are six nondescript-looking barrels, one each for gold, silver, copper, gems, jewelry, and miscellaneous.

Adventure Club members can use this facility to "bank" their treasure, or exchange it to easy-to-carry denominations. It operates on the honor system and there is never any transaction fee. If you are even thinking of stealing from the Bank, remember that Frederick retired as a max-level Fighting-Hobbet, and has a magic axe named Chopper!

The valuables are smuggled out of Hornpipe, back to your home villages, where they are melted down in the Hobbet forges to increase the prosperity of the community. Even ordinary items, like tools, adventuring equipment, or weapons, have value to improve the villagers' quality of life (and therefore your DM will award full xp), so don't be afraid to fill your scavenging sacks as you explore the dungeon!

But don't tell the Humans! If they knew the vast treasures under their feet, they would enslave the Hobbets and put them to work in the mines. It's happened before, and it can happen again. So hide the treasure, and let the Humans think all Hobbets are dirt grubbing turnip farmers. Sometimes there is safety in being underestimated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, back to our standard programming!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:34 pm

The druid Ursa Underfoot pushes back from the counter and moves to the largest table, inviting our Heroes to join her for pie and conversation.

"Right. Frederick said he asked you to help him with some holy water, and you did a good and honest job. So he vouches for your character, and I trust you, too. But there are Rules about 'spoilers' and so I just can't blurt it out."

Ursa pauses, finishes her last bite of apple pie, and calls back to the kitchen: Frederick! More pie!!

"However there is a loophole in that Rule: We can speak openly if we are all members of the same Adventuring Party. Am I wrong?" She looks around the table for nods of assent. "So here's the deal: I am looking for Party Members for a very short Adventure that shouldn't take more than one hour of your time, and won't expose you to any worse risks than you've faced already. Then we will be Companions and we can speak freely without breaking the Rules. What do you say? There is just one question I need to ask you, to know if you are qualified: I am going to say three words. If these words are 'spoilers' to you and you have no clue what I'm talking about, then I'm sorry, you're Out, come back to me when you're more experienced. But if I say these three words, and you're like oh yeah, we know exactly what you mean, then you're In, you have value to me, you can be in my One-Hour Party if you want. Are you ready? The three words are:"

GIANT PUFF BALLS

Post by mgtremaine » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:14 pm

"Yeah, we know about them."Kiplyn would say as he finishes his pie... "Can I have seconds, please?"
[f=4]Wen the Pale, Elf Hero/Spellbinder (MV 12", AC 9, HD 4/2, hp 11/11, FC Hero, L) helm, bow[/f]
[f=47]Kiplyn Sorefoot, Hobbet Thief (Lv: 4 AC: 5 Hp 12) Leather+Shield+Dagger, Sling[/f]
[f=59]Tass Purrfoot (Agile Hobbet Varlet, MV 9′′, AC 7, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV T7, N)[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:40 pm

Ursa says, "Right, so if we've all been to the Cave of the Giant Puffballs, then it's not a 'spoiler' is it? I am looking for fresh spores for my Druidic research. So I'm wondering if you've found any patches of puffballs that have either recently ejected their spores, or that are just about to burst? Basically what I am proposing is this: You will guide me to a patch of spore-producing puffballs, and help me carry my research equipment to the site. Then we will say goodbye, I will conduct my Research, you'll wander off on your Adventure, and we will part as friends. Maybe we'll see each other again on your safe return."

Post by acodispo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 pm

Willie happily accepts a piece of pie-with-fried-egg-and-cheddar & digs in while listening to Ursa's Plan.

"Gee, Ms. Ursa, ma'am, that's very generous of you to involve us in your Adventures! I'm on-board if my friends are!"
Questions about the "bank":

1) Am I correct in thinking we can exchange coin for gems?
2) Can we actually "bank" funds up here so we don't risk losing them in the dungeon?

and a (3) which is kind of related, but not specifically about the bank: is there any accommodation for designated Heirs in Hornpipe?
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by kipper » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 pm

"It seems a rather simple commission, and well worth our time to help you out." Dame Simonetta says. "Truth be told, you should hardly need our assistance, but one would hope the company will be more pleasant than travelling alone."
Dame Simonetta will purchase another large sack, as well as a lantern and 2 extra flasks of lantern oil, and a tinderbox. Cost: 17gp.

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:09 pm

kipper wrote:Dame Simonetta will purchase another large sack, as well as a lantern and 2 extra flasks of lantern oil, and a tinderbox. Cost: 17gp.
I've updated your inventory.

Any other equipment purchases from the other PCs?

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:17 pm

acodispo wrote:Questions about the "bank":

1) Am I correct in thinking we can exchange coin for gems?
2) Can we actually "bank" funds up here so we don't risk losing them in the dungeon?

and a (3) which is kind of related, but not specifically about the bank: is there any accommodation for designated Heirs in Hornpipe?
1) Sure, why not! With the disclaimer, Frederick prefers his Adventurers avoid flashing "bling" around town, which would attract the human's attention.

2) Yes, that is the intent!

3) Good question! We've had one character death so far but the player had dropped out, so Chegs was NPC at that point. If I recall correctly, the party split up Chegs' treasure and scavenged what useful equipment they could from his body.

Delving Deeper rules seem to imply that PCs can pass along an inheritance to a designated heir (i.e. a replacement character), minus 20% estate tax. Has anyone used this rule in actual play? How did it go, was it fun? Did you award XP to the replacement PC for the GP value of the inheritance, or did you start them out at 0XP?

If we were to use an Inheritance rule in this campaign, I would probably interpret the inheritance is in lieu of, not in addition to, the standard 30-180gp starting gold.

Final thought, I've played many campaigns in the past, where replacement PCs get nothing special, and it was perfectly fun. So that option is always on the table.

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:27 pm

Ursa slaps her forehead and says, "I almost forgot! One minor detail, it's really no big thing, but I have to be very strict about it. My research requires complete darkness. The slightest ray of light will ruin my results. So no lanterns or torches, until we go our separate ways and you've moved on past the puffball room. That's okay, right? You're not afraid of the dark?"

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”