Out Of Character

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by rredmond » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Re: Out Of Character

Fair enough, wouldn't want the humans to hear!
:lol:
[f=47]Noh’won the Wiser[/f]
Kiplyn: ...no closer to pancakes and rest!
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]
Wraislin: arcane fire spewing from his fingertips and reaping barbeque death!

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 am

The 'no spoilers rule' is really just an inside joke, to keep things light-hearted. We don't need to take it to extremes, like if Noh is about to fall into a pit trap, his friends obviously aren't going to let him suicide; they can and should warn him of the danger! When I conceived these "Adventure Club Rules," first and foremost, I wanted to foster the kind of 'gee whiz!' sense of wonder we all experienced in our first D&D games. Secondly, it is an easy way to side-step meta-gamey paradoxes, like, "If Frederick is such a nice guy then why doesn't he give our heroes detailed warnings about all the monsters and pitfalls, so they can avoid needless pain and suffering?"

In all seriousness, the Cliff's Notes version is this: I wanted to run a campaign that is less "gonzo open world sandbox" and more "old school dungeon delve" than some of my past campaigns. Additionally I wanted to keep a less dark, more good natured tone. Naturally, first thing that came to mind was Hobbets! I've included some mild Lovecraftian teasers, but these cosmic-horror elements are in the background of our heroes' journey for the moment. There's no real "grand plan" other than: crawl through the tunnels, kill monsters, collect loot, and hope your light doesn't go out!

I've been experimenting with a new-to-me mapping technique where I copy a chunk of the "void space" patern from the background dungeon map, and fill it into a new foreground layer, that overlays the map like a shroud or "fog of war." As the party explores new terrain, I use the airbrush tool to erase the top layer, exposing the map underneath. It's not perfect but I think it creates a nice atmospheric effect. Here's a link to the slightly outdated, needs to be updated, master map I created using that technique. The blurry/shadowy gray areas are unexplored terrain.

http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=835
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:48 pm

Lots of gray area! :D
I'm all for a dungeon like this. Did something similar in my first experience with OD&D with a crew of Philly area players that met online. We set up a dungeon that started in a many doored room. So when we came back to the room after delving, the next session a different DM could take over. It was fun stuff, and wicked deadly... the kids still say "wicked" right?
[f=59]Garamon [Hardy Hero, MV 9′′, AC 4, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L][/f]

Post by rredmond » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm

Where are the druid spell descriptions again? :)
Definitely will ask the party too, but would something like entangle even work in the dungeon? Maybe (depending on their experience) Detecting Snares & Pits might be useful. Also want to see about getting a good offensive spell (if the defensive/detecting aren't needed) that would be useful down there. :) Fun fun fun!

Post by mushgnome » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:16 pm

Here is the list of Druid spells:

http://forum.immersiveink.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=829

Spell descriptions are mostly pulled from 1st edition AD&D unless superseded by Delving Deeper rules.

(Spoiler alert) Not too far from the entrance, there is a cave full of giant puffballs. I could imagine Entangle working well on the puffballs, slamming against the target like sumo wrestlers!
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by rredmond » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:57 am

When Ethan wrote about mushrooms I wondered what kind of crazy goodness Entangle could pull off!
>:)

Post by mushgnome » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Sincere apologies to my players for my sudden disappearance last August. Life threw me a few curve-balls, and I had to take some time off for my mental health. Now I'm back, stronger than ever. Can I get a quick roll call, if anyone is interested in a second delve into the mysteries of Hornpipe Hill?

Post by rredmond » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:59 pm

Okay, had to check, I'm a druid, right? :)
As long as you are gentle with getting this 1e guy back into the swing of it, I'm still around.

You okay though? Good to go? The game can definitely wait if you wanted to take more time... just sayin' :D
Glad to see you are feeling better though! Fight on!

Post by mushgnome » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:19 pm

Looks like all my image links broke and I need to find a new image hosting service.

Also if anyone is an expert at embedding google sheets, can you shoot me a PM and help me figure out what I'm doing wrong? For example if I wanted to embed this, I'm having trouble figuring out the messageboard code: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true

Post by acodispo » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:10 pm

Willie Whitfoot is on board! Glad to have you back, sorry to hear about your troubles, glad to hear you're doing better!

Regarding embedding Google Sheets: Makofan seems to have figured it out, might want to check with him.

I see that I also did it for Hinterlands, so at one point in the past I did know how to do it! :roll:

I'll PM with my thoughts & maybe we can figure it out, or Makofan can help!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”