The First Adventure

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by acodispo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:27 am

Re: The First Adventure

"My teeth!" mumbles Willie as he slowly comes to.

When he finds out what just happened, he looks around at the group with a solemn, poultice-smeared face.

"You have thaved my life, comrades. I will never forget thith."
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 am

Have some grub, lad, says Tet, breaking out the food. He stuffs down pastry, dried fish, and an olive sandwich.

Wha? he says through his stuffed mouth. When I'm nervous I get hungry.
I think Tet will leave his mail rolled up. There's water about. I don't want him to drown...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:47 pm

"What in the world was THAT?" Dougal asks nobody in particular as he keeps his eyes looking up to where the multi-legged goat/spider creature disappeared.

He tucks his sling back into his belt and once again draws his sword, standing guard while Willie recovers from his ordeal.

He takes a moment to look around in the torch light. "Where'd the lantern go?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:52 pm

Something to discuss among yourselves as you are enjoying a well-deserved rest turn: I have updated the Maps thread. There are two unexplored areas. You could continue to the west-northwest, along the edge of the chasm, and see where that leads. Or you could follow the unexplored tunnel leading south, which is tall enough to stand comfortably and wide enough for two abreast.

Or I suppose you could explore vertically: up toward the spidergoat-infested cavern ceiling, or down into the abyss and the water below. But either of those would be difficult and dangerous climbs, even with climbing gear and/or thief skills.

Alternately you could just give up and return east, through the secret doors, and back to the ladder.

What would you like to do? Please discuss.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:57 pm

"Its my own recipe" says Potty, as he applies the fungal salve, "I use it to sooth chafing in ah...errr....well after long walks; but it should help your er mouth, well perhaps..."

"Umm...here" says Potty, returning to Willie the tooth that he found earlier.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:25 pm

Dougal carefully eyes their two options of travel.

"Let's move away from these damned spider-goats," as he looks at the southern passage. "Probably time for you burly types to make sure you're geared up for a fight, though, huh?" he leaves the question hanging in the air.
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by acodispo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Willie gravely thanks Potty for the tooth & tucks it into his pocket. He's feeling much better now he's had a bit of rest, & the poultice does seem to be helping.

"I'm ready! Let's get going. I'm sorry I lost the lantern! Can someone light my way?"

Willie's still willing to go first, but he's determined not to be caught off guard like that again: he gets his shield strapped on, makes sure his helmet is securely fastened, and takes his axe firmly in hand.

He keeps an eye on the ceiling as they proceed...

South!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:54 pm

That's two strong votes for south. Any votes nay? Willie's not wrong to be scared of the western route; spider goat could be lurking anywhere up there, wounded and pissed off, just beyond the range of the party's torchlight...

Any final actions, conversations, or decisions for the rest turn?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Potty decides that this place is dangerous. Perhaps even more dangerous than a city.

He focuses his mind on detecting dangerous things in places like this with a short meditation, and keeps a wary eye out as the group progresses.
Potty casts Detects snares and pits
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:29 am

End Rest Turn 12

Our Heroes have survived 2 hours in the underworld!

Turns 13-14

Potty activates his spell.

The adventurous Hobbets decide to explore the southern tunnel. They find their path almost enjoyable, with a smooth floor and no low ceilings to bump their heads. The tunnel winds its way to the south, gradually gaining elevation, and at one point, it loops around and doubles back over itself. The air is getting colder and drier.

After 20 minutes of exploration, Potty calls the party to a stop. His magic has detected something unusual growing on the cavern walls: a fungal growth called a gonglydia. The fungus itself is harmless, but it is associated with underground ant colonies.

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”