Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Mushgnome's Hobbet-centric PBP

Moderator: mushgnome

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Re: Prologue: The Road to Hornpipe

Dougal cracks a rare smile as he sips at the coffee, "Mmmm... just what we needed, good sire."

He looks around to see if anyone else chimes in with what brought them to Hornpipe. "it were the turnip cart, that I jumped off of," he adds defensively, shooting a look over at Fiona,"that brought us here, Patrick, though I'm sure our reasons for coming here may vary."

"In my case, I'm just lookin' to get out of the shire and stretch my legs, so to speak..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Tonneau » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Potty creeps closer to the table, peering over Dougal's shoulder to see if any pancakes have arrived yet.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:31 am

Ta be honest, I don't specifically recall, admits Tet. Me dear mum says I should get some exercise, so I (reluctantly, right you are) joined up the Shire militia. Thing is, they does an awful lot o marchin about, which doesn't agree with me on account of me tennis elbow, see? So when I hears farmer Skip is headed to Hornepipe, it brings ta mind Berryholt's taproom, down this way. I figured a wee bit of "freelance adventurin" might make fer a more convenient kind of exercise... so here I am!
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:02 pm

"I'm here for adventure!" Willie says overloudly, before blushing impressively and shutting his trap.

"Begging your pardon, sir."
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:59 am

"My family could use some money so we can expand our orchard and I can build my own home and start a family once I find myself a good lass", says Chegs. He then rubs his empty and all too non-Hobbet like flat belly, looking hungrily towards the kitchen.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by mushgnome » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Frederick seems disappointed, like he was fishing for a different response. "Adventure? We are simple folk. Our idea of excitement is a nice game of parcheesi. Adventures make you late for supper!" He waddles off to the kitchen to finish cooking the pancakes.

Farmer Skip facepalms and whispers to our heroes in disbelief, "You came all this way without the password?!?"
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by acodispo » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 pm

"What password, Mr. Skip, sir?" whispers Willie with great interest.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:42 pm

Dougal frowns.

"Didn't know there WAS one, myself..."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 am

Mushroom crepes are first off the griddle. The thinly-sliced puffball disks are cooked on one side until golden-brown and then rolled into a long tube. The fungus has the subtle flavor and texture of seafood such as shrimp or crabmeat. A dollop of ginger chutney is there to aid the digestion.

Next up the potato pancakes. Frederick serves them in a basket with paper to catch the dripping oil. The grated potatoes and onions create a three-dimensional matrix of fried-to-perfection-ness in the mouth. There's very little batter, just enough starch to hold it all together. It's impossibly light, yet satisfyingly filling. Frederick serves cream and apple sauce on the side.

Finally come the keen-wah ("With a Q!" says Frederick) pancakes, in the traditional New England batter made with eggs, baking powder, and buttermilk. Frederick makes the pancakes small, the size of your palm, but stacks them to ridiculous heights. Butter and grade B maple syrup are the only condiments necessary to complete the experience.

All the while, the dandelion coffee flows, and Douglas, Fiona, and Skip are friendly and talkative. Notably however, they avoid any questions having to do with "adventures" or "passwords." Frederick is busy in the kitchen and has his back to our heroes.

Finally, Farmer Skip Pebbles rises from his chair, stretches, yawns, and declares, "I couldn't eat another bite! Come now, Fiona and Douglas. If we leave now, we'll reach the campsite at Peapod Springs by nightfall." He turns to our heroes and says, "Well, now, I'm terrible at goodbyes, so... See you later?"

Do our Heroes have any last questions or words of farewell for their fellow Adventur... whoops! I mean, plain ordinary everyday Hobbitses?
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:55 am

Chegs says, "It was mighty fine to ride with you here in your cart, btw your cider was mighty fine; that you for sharing it with us". He tucks into the pancakes putting syrup over top and drink some coffee to help wash them down.
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Return to “Hobbets of Hornpipe”