Delve the Fifth

Makofan's Deep Dungeon Crawl PBP

Moderator: Makofan

Post by Makofan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Re: Delve the Fifth

A PM (private message) has been sent to SneakeyPete/Grampus

Post by SneakeyPete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:03 am

Grampus inspects the floor, walls and ceiling for anything out of the ordinary and signs of any recent alterations. He also listens for any activity after asking the group to briefly halt to hear better.

Post by acodispo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 am

Wiglaff waits silently while the dwarf does his work.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Makofan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 am

Grampus confirms Wiglaff's suspicions. The roof itself is finely balanced on that supporting pole and removing it would make the ceiling descend and squash people

Post by Ebon Hearted Soul » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:38 am

Makofan wrote:Grampus confirms Wiglaff's suspicions. The roof itself is finely balanced on that supporting pole and removing it would make the ceiling descend and squash people
Vesh ponders the situation & asks the others,"Hmmm could we perhaps send one of our member with our henchmen and gather 4-5 timber poles that we could use to brace the ceiling long enough to retrieve the staff or could Wiglaff's be enough since the staff seems to be holding things up? I know of no spell in my spell book that could assist even if I had it memorized."
Veshengo "Vesh the scarred" Polgár Magic-User 1
S: 7 I: 17 W: 9 Cn: 13 D: 13 Ch: 4 Gold: 28 Silver: 16 Copper: 10 HP: 5

Warrec "Chegs" Chegwidden Fighting-Hobbet 1
S:14 I:10 W:9 Co:9 D:10 Ch:8 Gold:2 Copper: 45 HP:5

Post by SneakeyPete » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:53 am

Grampus is thinking that gathering some timbers makes sense if the group believe the staff is worth the time and effort to retrieve it.

Post by acodispo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:45 pm

Wiglaff points out the runes carved into the staff.

"I suspect the object is magical, and worth retrieving. I have brought one timber. I wish I'd thought to bring more. But two more timbers should be sufficient, set as the points of a triangle around the staff.

"Instead of splitting our group, I suggest we all return to the surface briefly. These timbers are heavy, and need two to carry comfortably. And the bearers must have ample guards, and will be unable to travel quietly in any case. Better to move in force."

The elf is patient, as are all his kind, and would rather do this retrieval properly than risk a hasty attempt.
Also, if we split the party we'll presumably be facing twice as many wandering monster checks, one per party per turn. Better to move as the full group, even though its unwieldy.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by Makofan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:55 pm

The quaint custom of the castle is the dungeon door is opened only once per day, so if you head back, you will have to wait one day to re-enter

Post by kipper » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:27 pm

"We are here now with this timber, we should make the attempt." Maloof opines. "The purpose of the timber is merely to hold the roof long enough to remove the staff, we need not concern ourselves with future structural integrity".

Post by acodispo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Wiglaff, having suddenly remembered the thing about the door being opened only once per day, gives the matter further thought.

"Indeed, I agree with Maloof. We have what we need."

The elf removes his gear, handing his weapons, backpack, and cloak to Edgar.

"If I should perish," he says with a smile, "please notify my heir, Woter the Dwarf. Please, everyone stay in the hall & do not endanger yourselves."

With that, he takes his rope into the room, bending low to avoid touching the ceiling. He ties one end of the rope firmly around the low end of the staff, then brings the rest of the rope back into the hallway.

Next, he carries the six-foot timber into the room. Moving gingerly, he positions it right next to the staff, standing upright between the ceiling & the floor.

Assuming he's not squashed already, he returns to the hallway & asks for additional hands on the rope. On the count of three, he pulls with all his might to dislodge the staff & drag it swiftly out into the hallway.

Return to “Gorthaur's Madness”