(082) The Darkness Below


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 16193

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar holds the nearest bell in his hand, muffling it as he squeezes past the statue and under the chain in one deft move. He finds himself standing on a 10ft wide and 40ft broad mezzanine that runs across one end of the dim chamber. It is occupied by a gaggle of a dozen or so statues; all seemingly warriors of various ages with an unlikely variety of arms and poses. They are mostly chained together with the belled chain, making the whole mezzanine something of a miniature labyrinth.

To the left end, there is a ramp running down about 10ft to the mid tier which is about 30ft broad. Directly ahead and across the room the far wall comprises a grand arch, and situated almost directly below it are a few dilapidated walls. These are illuminated by a wide, smoldering brazier standing besides them. Beyond this arch lies another dark space, possibly of larger proportions...
Let's make it interesting, shall we? Let's say there's a 1 in 6 chance that his pack or something catches the chain... 1d6=3, so nope.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1566

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:20 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar turns back and gets the attention of the rest of the group and indicates he wants strips of cloth from the dead monks' robes so he can tie off the cowbells as he moves through them. This would also mark the path he is taking for the others to follow...

While others are getting the cloth, he takes a few minutes to study the statues and bells and chains, looking for the best route to the ramp. Not the most direct route, but the route where he has to pass through the fewest number of cowbells.

Once the fabric is returned, his plan will be to fold some of the cloth into a "V" shape, then stick that into the bell, capturing the clapper between the fabric. Then he'll use another strip of cloth, wrapping it around the bottom of the bell and tying it at the top. This should keep the first piece of fabric inside the bell and thus silence the bell.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]

Posts: 467

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Manfreid gathers strips of cloth from the dead monks and makes sure the door to the corridor is closed. This might keep anyone wandering the corridor from falling upon us from behind.

"Pass these cloth strips ahead to Leudigar."

Manfreid also checks his pack seeing how his rations are holding up. He eats a bit from his trail rations and takes a sip of water while he is at it, checking how much water he still has in his bag.
A good plan!
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 1/7, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 325

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:39 am

Post Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Nice!
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 571

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

flightcommander wrote:Nice!

I totally agree!
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp ½/5) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16193

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:50 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Leudigar signals his need about the same time Zax shoves and bustles his way to the front of the queue.
Word is passed back, and Manfried eventually gets the instruction and heads back toward the monk room...

Meanwhile Leudigar plots a route through the chains and bells toward the ramp; he figures a direct path will probably only require him to pass one more bell. It should be almost risk free, if adequate care is taken...
The referee begins to wonder whether potential residents might catch a wiff of a scent, or a hint of a noise while all this is going on? besides which a wandering monster check is due, so 1d6=?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16193

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Manfried hurries back to the monk room and starts tearing off a few strips from their Hessian robes...

Meanwhile Leudigar waits; pretending to be just another statue among the crowd...
Manfried will return with the cloth strips next turn... meanwhile, anything to do up front other than wait?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1566

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:53 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Listen. Wait and listen. And watch the glow from the fire to see if anything creates a shadow.
[f=4]Leudigar the Tracker (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 2-2, hp ½/6, FC Man+1, L) mail+helm, silvered sword+Torch
Desmond/Mondes the Hobbet Hero/Burglar (MV 9", AC 5/7, HD 4/2+2, hp 19/19, FC Hero, N) leather+helm, short sword+main gauche[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16193

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:36 am

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

The low flame flickers steadily below, causing long shadows to lurch upon the ancient walls. The near-silence stretches the wait painfully long as Manfried gathers the fabric and passes it up the line in the dark, narrow tunnel...

On the statue-ledge, Leudigar fancies he may have caught a hint of motion in the dark room beyond the tumble down walls, but it's nothing he can identify; perhaps just a doubt in his own mind. None the less, a shadow of anxiety is growing on him as he waits...

What's that?! A minuscule echo from the dark? Or is it just Zax, grunting coarsely as he passes the ribbons of cloth supplied by Manfried into the young tracker's hand...?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 320

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:46 pm

Re: (082) The Darkness Below

Zax catches on to the idea upon nearing the front, and halts his progress, eagerly fingering the tip of his pick in anticipation
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software