(078) A Second Expedition

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by coffee » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:08 pm

Re: (078) A Second Expedition

Any chance of a quick map? I'm finding it hard to visualize.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:53 pm

"That the best ya ken du ya great fat lug?" says Zax to the one remaining (if large) foe. Having whet his appetite sufficiently for the moment on the two downed minions, he fights a defensive retreat toward the long-legs - perhaps they might get off their skinny arses and help with this one?
Zax fights defensively and falls back toward the doorway
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by flightcommander » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:31 am

Akbar, having moved up through the ranks, attempts to get a clear shot at the present foe with his arbalest. Mainly, his head.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:44 am

coffee wrote:Any chance of a quick map? I'm finding it hard to visualize.
Here is a very crude map:
````````````````````````````````` ``````````````````````+-````````` ``````````````````````\ Unknown` `````````````````````/`\ Room``` `````````````````````|``````````` ``````````````````````\`````````` ``````````````````````*`Zax`````` ``Unknown`?-''-_`````/``Melee```` ``Passage```````\+----+`````````` ```````````XMas``|^ |`Mess````` ```````````Tree``+----+``Hall```` `````````````````````|``````````` ``````````````````````\`````````` ``````````````````````|`````````` `````````````Stair ===|`````````` ``````````````Down````|`````````` `````````````````````/``````````` ````````````````````==``Gate````` `````````````Lobby`/ /``````````` ``````````````````/_/```````````` ``````````````````/``Stair up````
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:44 am

Zax fends off the giant, hairy Goblin's sweeping blows gruffly as he withdraws toward the mess hall, where Zem, Dopey, Akbar and some of the others are forming a line inside the entry, and from where Brother Herald now comes rushing up to join the fray. Zax lands a telling counter-strike just as The Herald charges in to deliver the killing blow; crushing the giant goblin's chest with his mace.

As the defeated goblin hits the ground, the pair spy half a dozen like creatures--peering into the passage from whence they all came some 60ft away--vanish back into their chamber like whipped dogs.
Combat Round 2

Brother Herald charges into the melee, the ref judges the distance to be about 3" which is the distance that any figure is allowed to close in order to join melee, so The Herald can join the fighting this round but will attack last.

Zax defends himself, thus applying a -4 penalty to the bugbear's attack dice.

Bugbear's attacks 3 # d20 → [14, 1, 1] at -4 is [10, -3, -3] resulting in three misses. The bugbear's three thows would all have missed even if Zax did not elect to parry, so Zax is allowed a counter blow if employing a lighter weapon. Is a gnome's ice-pick lighter than a bugbear's cudgel? Zax has it 5 lb on his character sheet, and the ref deems the bugbear's cudgel to be morning-star sized (10 lb), so yes. Therefore Zax has a counter-blow.

Zax 1 # d20 → [14] @ +1 (FC being Man+1) is 15, which would hit AC 4. That's another hit; d6 → 5 hp.

The ref dices for the bugbear's hp: 3d6 → 8, erk. No wonder he was nervous. 8-5 is 3 hp remaining.

Now Brother Herald: 1 # d20 → [16], that is also a hit. d6 → 3 hp, and that is the killing blow.

The combat is concluded with three goblinkind slain.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by Tonneau » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:49 am

"Ach," sighs Zax, plucking his ice-pick from the bugbear's corpse and bobbing his helm toward The Herald "I suppose ill let ya have that one, but I did soften him up fer ya first."

"A 'least ya got some knackers on ya god-hugger," he adds with a less-than-impressed glance toward those huddled at the doorway, before moving to retrieve his throwing axe from the eye-socket of the other goblin and restoring it to its sheath.
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Post by sully » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:35 am

The Herald replies, We fight well together, dwarf. I wonder if we were brothers-in-arms in another life. Now, are you ready to face that rabble around the corner? I suspect you've cowed them enough that they won't put up much of a fight.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Post by Tonneau » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:57 am

sully wrote:The Herald replies, We fight well together, dwarf. I wonder if we were brothers-in-arms in another life. Now, are you ready to face that rabble around the corner? I suspect you've cowed them enough that they won't put up much of a fight.
"Ahrr," grunts Zax in response, "and next yu'll be saying I were a man and you a dwarf. Ha!". He pauses, twitching his huge proboscis for a moment - did he just catch a whiff of...pastries?

Zax shakes his head to clear it, "Well, I dunno 'bout you god-hugger, but I find the best way to sort out these kind'a queschins is ta crush some heads", and with that he is off down the passage after the remaining greenskins.

Post by flightcommander » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:00 am

Momentarily disappointed at missing the action, Akbar's spirits are lifted once again as he follows Zax forward.
[f=4]Morin the Fighter/Medium (MV 12", AC 7, HD 2-2, hp 8/8, FC Man+1, N) scimitar+lantern[/f]

Post by sully » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:36 pm

The Herald follows Zax.
Thanis [Stealthy Hero, MV 12′′, AC 7, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, N]. Hooded cloak, padded armor, sword, longbow +1 & quiver of arrows, dagger.

Return to “Hinterlands”