dungeon speed during chase?

The dungeon & wilderness exploration game

Post by acodispo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 pm

dungeon speed during chase?

First paragraph of Dungeon Exploration chapter states:
Exploration is conducted in turns of 10 minute duration with 1" representing 10ft. Thus a movement rate of 12" is reckoned to be 120ft underground with two such moves allowed per turn of cautious progress;

[...]

If all caution is abandoned (during flight or pursuit, for example) movement is quadrupled but mapping becomes impossible.
It seems clear that during cautious exploration underground, characters with 12" movement rate would move 240 ft over the course of a 10-minute turn.

However, I'm not clear on the rate during non-cautious exploration. Is it 960 ft / turn (120*4 per move, 2 moves per turn), or is it 480 ft / turn (120 ft, 4 moves per turn)?

I'm judging the former, but just want to make sure.
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: dungeon speed during chase?

Yes, there are two moves per turn, so pursuit speed (x4) is 12" x4 x2 moves = 96" per turn.

The original rules are not absolutely clear on this, but my (personal) take is that dungeon pursuit must be in terms of one-minute combat turns because:

a) While pursuit is still happening the encounter is not yet concluded,
b) Encounters are normally conducted in one-minute combat turns,
c) 960ft per minute is a believable run speed (carrying gear), while 960ft per 10-minutes would be a glacial.

Note also that (although this isn't documented in DD V4) the original rules also allow for a bonus to movement rates (usually 3 or 6") when charging. This might, arguably, be allowed during the first turn of a pursuit also, so an unencumbered Man might actually flee/pursue at 15" in the first turn. Therefore pursuit speed would be 15" x4 x2 = 1,200ft per turn, or (if you go with the above speculation) 1,200ft per one-minute for the first turn, which (once again) is a pretty decent approximation of an actual run speed.

Enjoy :)
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by acodispo » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: dungeon speed during chase?

Thank you!
waysoftheearth wrote:The original rules are not absolutely clear on this, but my (personal) take is that dungeon pursuit must be in terms of one-minute combat turns [...]
And that makes a lot of sense, too! I was wondering about that 960 ft per ten minutes... Definitely seemed hard to suspend disbelief in that case!
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, F1/T1 (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L) gambeson+helm, shield+warhammer[/f]
[f=59]Witherun [Agile Hero, MV 12′′, AC 6, HD 4, hp 16, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L] hide+helm, shield+dagger or bow[/f]

Return to “Delving & Exploration”