(076) Off the Beaten Track


Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald says, Whatever we do, we need to decide it quickly. We're running out of food and I came out here to kill goblins, not starve to death.


I'm not keen on spending any serious length of time scouting the entrance. Let's get in there and see what we see. Assuming we'll find enough food by hunting to make it home is not a good strategy, in my opinion.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

After a brief period of discussion while everyone is breaking down camp, Leudigar leads the group to the vale with the lakes and forest. If possible, he leads them by an area where they can see the view of the vale and the fortress, for an overall picture of the area.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 217

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:24 am

Location: Montreal, QC

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:26 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

sully wrote:
The Herald says, Whatever we do, we need to decide it quickly. We're running out of food and I came out here to kill goblins, not starve to death.


"We've been out here three or four days now, I'm afraid I've lost count. If the return trip takes but two days, then we still have enough to eat for at least another day." reasons Dopey.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey
User avatar

Posts: 408

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:32 am

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Its nice to get out of that stinking camp for a while, but I'm about all out of pastries," says Gerthrude, upending her bag and sending the few remaining flakes to the soil for emphasis, "and I'm not getting any younger sitting around here."

"Let's move ladies, if you think there is somewhere worth moving to."
Gerthrude has committed to memory The Amiable Colloquy
Last edited by Tonneau on Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[f=4]Lemmi the Mender (MV 12", AC 7/7, HD 1, hp 5/5, FC Man, N) leather, sword+dagger[/f]
[f=4]Statue of Zax the Gnome Fighter (MV 5", AC 2/4, HD 1+2, hp --/6, FC Man+1, N) plate+sh+helm, pickax[/f]

Posts: 533

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Location: Pace, FL

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Tonneau wrote:
""Let's move ladies, if you think there is somewhere worth moving to."

"Right you are old woman!"Gunt grunts as he shoulders his backpack, "We came out here to kill Snorks and take their gold, not look at scenery."
Gunt is going to keep an eye open for any patrols out and about during our hike. We're getting close to their lair and we can't count on them *not* patrolling the area.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 835

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:16 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Wetzel keeps spear to hand and his bow strung during the next march. He says very little, but follows the lead of Leudigar the Ranger.

There's an eagerness in his eyes as the party draws closer to its destination, and he keeps close to the column, not wandering off.
[f=32]Wiglaff the Elf (M 12", AC 3, HD 2+1, hp 9/9, N) helm+plate+cloak of elvenkind, battle-axe (map)[/f]
[f=47]Wilibald "Willie" Whitfoot, Burglar-in-Training (M 12", AC 6, HD 1+2, hp 9/9, L)[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 751

Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:19 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Karl, likewise, keeps his bow strung while on march.
[f=4]Karl the Fighter (M 9", AC 4/6, HD 1+2, FC Man+1, hp 9/9) mail+shield[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 16509

Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:15 am

Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:40 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

Leudigar the Tracker leads the (now rested) column of adventurers along an easterly route, cutting short the route that he and Faengol the Elf Medium explored yesterday.

Karl and Wetzel the Fighters now march with their bows strung but even so, by early afternoon the company has attained the broad ridge of broken rock that commands a view of the hills for miles around, this time scaling the north-west-most lip of the crater rather than the wide western rim that was seen previously. Beyond this natural barrier is a fifty-foot drop down to the south-east, to a dangerously steep rock face that finally descends to a wide forest lowland below, thriving around a number of small lakes. Birds can be seen hopping from tree to tree and soaring high above, and Wetzel has no doubt he could locate game in that wood.

But the chief business is now afoot! Just three or four miles further east along the ridgetop, our crew can plainly spy the significant piece of fortified wall that Leudigar and Faengol described yesterday. Moreover, from here they can also see several other wall faces built between rocky prominences along the inside of the crater; clearly there are a series of structures clinging along the inside of the escarpment wall, with ladders, horribly steep stairs, and narrow goat tracks winding between them. From this vantage you can also see there is a tower overlooking the valley from the eastern rim. Not even the Faengol the Elf can see any activity along the wall at this distance...
Wilderness Exploration Turn 4

Leudigar the Tracker leads the (now rested) column of adventurers along an easterly route.

The weather conditions have already been determined (below); clear, so visibility will be ideal.

* The ref dices to determine whether the company's progress is detected by Hezmog's scouts: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether the company will become lost/delayed: d6 → ?

* The ref dices to determine whether an encounter occurs this day: d6 → ?

Thus far we have played the first move for the fourth turn.
A turn comprises two moves, so the option of a second move this turn is available.

Do you wish to hike along the rim to reach the gate this turn?
Do you wish to stop right here on the rim and observe the valley?
Do you wish to locate a sheltered campsite from which to look out for activity?
Or something else?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]
User avatar

Posts: 1764

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 pm

Location: Just west of St. Louis

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

"Well," Leudigar offers, in a low voice that the others can still hear, "What do you lot want to do? Make our way straight to the walled area along the ridge? Try and find some way down here and secure a site in the valley? Or try and observe the site from here?"

"I'm not so sure how effective the forward approach might be, if we just approach the walled area to the east and knock for entrance. I imagine the lower entrances will be less-well guarded, should we first descend into the valley and approach from below. Of course," he adds, once again observing the conglomeration of structures, "it might very well be that the peon gobs live at the TOP and the larger, meaner gobs, if any are left, have taken over the lower portions. So maybe trying to enter from the bottom might be a tougher route. Making our way along the ridge might get us close enough to do some better observation from above and determine if that is the case. What is everyones' thoughts? Any of those options sound good? Anything else spring to mind?"

After recounting what he thinks their options are, Leudigar waits to see what others say.
Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, HD 1, HP 5/5, FC 1 Man) leather, short sword+main gauche
User avatar

Posts: 1196

Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 am

Re: (076) Off the Beaten Track

The Herald is in favor of hiking along the rim to reach the gate this turn.
Chiron the Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 4/4, FC Man, L) dagger+torch, The Mellifluent Concord
PreviousNext

Return to Hinterlands

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software