(075) A War Footing!

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Re: (075) A War Footing!

Leudigar drinks, as well. "We all go back to the mud, I s'pose. But before I do... aye, revenge. Don't sound so heroic when you put it like that, but... Da always said you gotta see things for what they are."

He thinks on it a moment. "Not stupid enough to try and kill the lot what's in Ket. Not right now, least ways. But I heard stories in the camp about a snark stronghold that was southwest of here a ways. Figured I might start there, if I can find enough like-minded people. You up for it?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:05 pm

"Don't even get me started about Ket," curses Boggs in his baritone growl. "Used to be a Dwarf could earn a good living there as a Mouser. Now it's swarming with gobblos willing to work for coppers on the gold piece. I made it out just before that puffed-up council of snorks declared martial law and closed the gates. You asked about their stronghold to the southwest? I once met a terrible old Elf in my travels who told me he'd spent some time there, and the name of the place is Hezmog. Old codger clammed up after that, wouldn't say another word."
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:12 pm

Leudigar nods, "I'll take that as a yes."

He looks over at the hobbet and asks, "What about you, friend? What brings you out of the lands of the little people?"
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by Eris » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 pm

As the group talks under the Rowan tree another Dwarf strolls over, "Boggs you old goat! When are you going to give up that nasty weed. A proper Dwarf gets his high off ale, not that stinking weed."

The newcomer is tall for a Dwarf and unlike any other Dwarf you've ever seen is beardless.
To Gunter's great embarrassment he has almost no beard. Among his people not being able to grow a proper beard is a sign of weakness and a bare chin is considered the height of ugliness and more than a little nasty. Gunt, fought many a fight before he grew disgusted with it and decided to just leave. Since leaving Mountain Home, keeps what little hair he does have on his face shaved off as best he can.
He looks tired as he sloughs off his pack, lying his shield against it, "Now if one of you'd spot me a few coins, I'd get an ale and show you."

""Oh, and I'm Gunter! Who are you?" the newcomer asks bluntly directing his question to the Hobbet and the Man with Boggs.
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by mushgnome » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:46 pm

Boggs isn't quite as enthusiastic as Leudigar. "Now hold just a minute! How are the two of us--excuse me--the two and a half of us--going to defeat a whole fortress full of goblins all by ourselves?" He thoughtfully hawks a loogey. Always profit-minded, he continues. "Also we need to discuss the split of treasure earned. I'd suggest the same deal I had with your Da when he was your age: you get first pick of swords, armour, arrows, and the like. I'd get rights to gems, minerals, and precious stones. Little Rock over there (indicating Dopey the Hobbet) gets dibs on all pies and vests." The Dwarf slaps his new friend the Hobbet on the back."I'm just kidding! You're alright; you're alright. Thanks for the pipeweed!"

(Boggs consumes the gift in a single greedy inhalation and blows out a great ring of smoke.)

Upon Gunter's greeting, Boggs switches to the Aurulgan language. "Diamonds and rubies! Do my nearsighted eyes deceive me, or is that Gunt the Beardless? I'll see your ale and raise you a Mountainhome Red." The bottle is rapidly dwindling but Boggs offers it gladly to his kinsdwarf. He opens his coin purse to finance more ale, but all he finds is a button and a small moth. "What the?!? Oh right, my last night in Ket. Heh, heh, heh!"

Switching back to the common tongue of travelers: "You others take note: with this one on our side we might stand a fighting chance. It's all starting to come together. I'm in!!"
Last edited by mushgnome on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
[f=59]Stern (Strong Hero, MV 9′′, AC 3, HD 4, hp 20, FC 4 men/hero, SV F4, L)[/f]

Post by Eris » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 pm

mushgnome wrote:
Eris wrote:
As the group talks under the Rowan tree another Dwarf strolls over, "Boggs you old goat! When are you going to give up that nasty weed. A proper Dwarf gets his high off ale, not that stinking weed."
(Switching to the Aurulgan language) "Diamonds and rubies! Do my nearsighted eyes deceive me, or is that Gunt the Beardless? I'll see your all and raise you a Mountainhome Red." The bottle is rapidly dwindling but Boggs offers it gladly. "You others take note: with this one on our side we might stand a fighting chance. It's all starting to come together. I'm in!!"
In Aurulgan, "Thanks!" Gunt takes a swig from the bottle, "Ah! I needed that!"

Switching back to common,"In what? A fight?"

After a loud burp, Gunt scratches his underarm and sniffs his fingers,"Whatever it is, is there fast money in it? I'm skint and in need of a meal or two."

"If you want me to whop of some'un or other with this." he pats his battle axe and grins showing yellow teeth,"You gotta keep me strength up!"
[f=4]Manfreid the Fighter (MV 9", AC 3/5, HD 1+2, hp 10/10, FC Man+1, N) silver mail+helm, sword+shield[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:51 pm

Eris wrote:Who are you?" the newcomer asks bluntly directing his question to the Hobbit.
ehiker133 wrote:He looks over at the hobbet and asks, "What about you, friend? What brings you out of the lands of the little people?"
"I am Dopey of Wichtboden" the hobbet answers.

"I am on an errand from Phandaalf himself, albeit not one I desired to partake in. I am charged to seek out a pair of Mr. Hrodlberts at the Jolly Noose in Ket, and to this end have I departed my estates and journeyed by foot for the past fortnight. I came to Ket only to discover it had become overrun with goblins, and thus I now sit pondering how I might fulfill my charge."

The hobbit lays down his pipe, and holds forth a signet ring so those gathered under the rowan might observe its design. "See now the wizard's sigil I bear to confirm my veracity."
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by Eris » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 pm

"Dopey, huh?" Gunt rubs his nose and spits on the ground, "Yeah, you gotta stay out of Ket til the Gobos get rooted out or they'll make a meal of ya."

Say! You got a wizard's ring, eh?. Does that make you a wizard?" Gunt says, "I ain't never heard tell of a Hobbet wizard?"

"Me, I jest whomp on things for a living. Stone, Metal, Orcs and Gobo's heads."
Gunt grins again and gives Dopey a wink.

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:23 pm

Dopey was astonished by the dwarf's bad manners. "Is this what all dwarfs are like?" he wondered.

Eris wrote:"Me, I jest whomp on things for a living. Stone, Metal, Orcs and Gobo's heads."[/d] Gunt grins again and gives Dopey a wink.
"You sound like handy person to have around" Dopey replied, diplomatically.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by Tonneau » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:11 pm

"OY! WHAT THE...?" booms a husky male voice from a nearby tent, followed neatly by a solid thump. A clattering of falling objects issues forth, as a struggle of grunts and shed cloth sends the fabric of the tent billowing.

"Get out o'here you crusty ol' biddy!" yells the same voice, followed by a sharp 'thoc' and then silence.

From the tent flap emerges a grey haired woman, still adjusting the straps of her dress, "Well, thats not how you saw it last night deary", she says to noone in particular as she hoists a large back over her shoulder.

"Ah," she sighs contentedly, gazing momentarily at the sky before noting the odd party of dwarves, men and hobet gathered nearby. "Wine is it then lads?" she says, eyeing the bottle hungrily as she approaches the group, "and a fine morning it is for it too! I dont suppose you could spare a drop for an old woman now?"
[f=59]Wraislin [Intellectual Conjurer, MV 12′′, AC 9, HD 2, hp 8, FC 2 men, SV M3, N] [/f]

Return to “Hinterlands”