Dopey the Hobbet Fighter (RIP)

A place for character sheets and notes

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by The Red Baron » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:18 am

Dopey the Hobbet Fighter (RIP)

Last edited by The Red Baron on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Just don't panic because your life is in the hands of someone named Dopey

Post by The Red Baron » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Re: Dopey the Hobbet

An Unexpected Journey

In a house on a hill there lived a hobbet.

One morning, as he sat eating toast and watching the sunrise paint the sky variegated hues of Dahalaia, Marmalade, and Beryl, Dopey the Hobbet was abruptly disturbed by a visitor.

"Why, if it isn't Phandaalf the Great!" exclaimed Dopey, droping his toast in astonishment. "Won't you come in and have some biscuts?"

"I'm afraid I'm here on urgent buisness," replied Phandaalf. "There are grave happenings afoot, which have prompted this sudden and unsolicited intrusion."

"I am off to see Xportiope the Antiquarian," he continued, "so I will be terse: within the hour must you be off to the Jolly Noose Inn of distant Ket, where you are to inquire for a pair of Mr. Hrodeberts. You must therefore necessary that you pack accouterments befitting this task. Observe now, to quell your imminent insubstantial objections I place a legion of minuscules to guard your home for the duration of your absence.

"But I do not observe!" complained Dopey.

"That is as it should be: they are minuscules, and are diminished beyond ocular scrutiny."

"Then how can I be sure of their existence? You discommode me with this assignment: I see no profit in this venture, and prefer to tend my breakfast and domicile!" Dopey lamented.

"I tire of your desultory protestations: be off!" countered the Wizard.

Phandaalf turned and departed down the stone path, letting the wooden gate swing shut behind him.

Having lost his appetite, the little hobbet packed his backpack, set out into the Hinterlands.

[edited for referee provided information]
Last edited by The Red Baron on Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:22 am, edited 10 times in total.
[f=4]Mero the Fighter (M 9", AC 2/4, hp 7/7, FC Man+1, L) plate+helm, spear+shield[/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:09 am

Phandaalf the Great (who made a point of never giving his real name) had walked out of his way to come by Wichtboden, where the Hobbets dwelt in idyllic seclusion. The unfortunate matter of Hobbet entanglement in grander affairs was no longer his conundrum alone; the little folk would have to attend to themselves. He approached one of the inscrutable Hobbet-Men whom he judged to be not wholly incompetent, and delivered the mysterious imperative that the dismayed fellow bring himself to the Jolly Noose of Ket to seek therein the providence of his own distant relatives; the now abundantly overdue pair of Mr. Hrodeberts...
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by The Red Baron » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:23 am

The Road to Ket

For [a fortnight??] Dopey plodded down the road to Ket.

At first he strolled easily, passing through the bucolic acreage skirting Wichtboden as if on one of his afternoon strolls. Soon, however, the verdant woodland became unfamilliar and the hobbet took to sleeping under the exposed roots of great trees at night when strange creatures prowled the woods.

At last, as he clambored to the summit of a short hill, Dopey spotted the warm glow of city lights in the distance.

"Why, oh why didn't I have the foresight to bring a pony!" Dopey moaned as he stumbled towards town with aching legs.

A horrible suprise awaited him at Ket: at the gate, a pair of fat hobgoblins stood sentry!

Unsure of the local ordinances concerning hobbets, Dopey slipped past the gaurds under cover of night and slunk towards the town square. Here he encountered a dilemma: two inns flanked the square. As the hobbet could not read the signs, nor comprehendthe vernacular, how was he to determine his intended distination? Dopey at last concluded that he would be wise to begin with the tavern which was not swarming with goblins. Thus did Dopey finally arrive at the Jolly Noose.

At the Sign of the Jolly Noose

It was already dark when Dopey entered the tavern. With a preternatural deftness, he slipped through the churning labyrinth of patrons. Dopey ducked the swirling scabards of mercanaries and dodged the fecund bottoms of prostitutes. The hobbet was enveloped by the discordant melody, vociferous inebriates, thick bordello stench, and the muggy heat of hubbub.

Confused and desperate for cool night air, Dopey wormed his way to a window and peered forth. A gallows stood prominently outside. Dopey gulped. :shock:

Tearing his eyes away from the grisly reminder that he was in bigfolk territory now, the hobbet decided he needed a strong drink. He turned from the window and found himself face-to-belt with a stranger in a long dark cloak.

"Quickly" breathed the bigman. "you have been spotted and followed by the goblins. Observe: even now they are combing the tavern for your person."

Dopey leaped out the window and into a pile of cabbages. "Oh bother it all!" the hobbet lamented, "How will I ever find these Mr. Hrodelberts now?"

Conclusion

The next morning, Dopey awoke to find himself in the back of a cabbage cart rolling along the road to Mafred's encmapment. Unsure how to proceed, he seeks any persons or ventures that might lead to the completion of Phandaalf's directive.

Last edited by The Red Baron on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by The Red Baron » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:06 am

Re: Dopey the Hobbet Fighter

When Dopey returned to Manfred's Bastion, he busily scurried about preparing for a second expedition.

"What an adventure!", the hobbet exclaimed, "I've never seen a fighting man who was Thick-Neck's equal with a blade! And all those horrible, horrible snakes! We'll certainly have to explore that secret stair on the next go around."
Campaign Turn 1: Off the Beaten Track

-subdued Thick-Neck
-recovered 4gp, 10sp (+34 exp)
-recovered Hobgoblin's helmet
-recovered Torches x6
-recovered "Gunter's plate armor"

Notes:

-discovered secret stair

Campaign Turn 2: Manfred's Bastion

-sold Thick-Neck (+40sp, +40 exp)
-sold padded armor (+5sp)
-sold "Gunter's plate armor" (+45sp)
-paid upkeep (-7sp)
-purchased shield (-10sp)
-purchased hobbet's plate armor (-90sp)

Post by The Red Baron » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Dopey the Hobbet Fighter

Campaign Turn 3: A Second Expedition

-recovered silver & iron serpents ring
-recovered goblin ledger
-recovered gatekeeper's spectacles
-recovered gatekeeper's shoebuckles
Fell in combat with evil acolytes. :cry:

Return to “Player Characters”