(074) Ye Nether World

Waysoftheearth's Hinterlands PBP

Moderators: ehiker133, waysoftheearth

Post by Condorcet » Sun May 24, 2015 1:36 am

Re: (074) Ye Nether World

Helmut picks himself up, and brushes sand from...well, everywhere. Casting an eye over the shattered skiff, he mutters a quiet prayer and signs the Enigma of Thuul.

Once Dieter is standing, he joins Armando in exploring the place for evidence of what they might be up against.

Post by waysoftheearth » Sun May 24, 2015 11:39 pm

Armando manages to get his lantern lit barely a moment after the encroaching sand completely seals the company underground and shuts off the red light of the outside world. The hull of the wrecked skiff is entirely buried under tons of sand, and our heroes find themselves in a cooler, far quieter place. It is a terrific relief, and everyone takes a moment to slake their parched throats and recuperate.

Ulric, grumbling in his beard, has his own trusty lantern lit shortly after, so that the company are then comfortably able to ascertain that this place seems to be a long dis-used catacomb. It smells old.

Josiane administers The Supplication of Medicant Requite over Dieter and his hurts, and he privately (and reluctantly) has to admit that her ministrations do indeed assist him. He is somewhat refreshed for her aid.

As far as orientation goes: with all the tumbling about inside the skiff hull, sliding down ravines, and fleeing blindly from sand slides it is impossible to say with any authority which way the two passages are heading. Everyone has a general feeling that both the parrallel passages lead more or less in the direction of the nearest fortress (which was still, maybe a half- or quarter-mile off).

It seems a moot point in any case, as there is no other way to open...
Dungeon exploration turn one is spent organising light, administering aid, and getting your general bearings.

Josiane's aid will cause Dieter to recover 1d6=4; so 5 hit points.

Dieter (F5) hp 22 12 14 4 9

What plans for turn two?
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person
Hirelings: Georges; torch[/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Mon May 25, 2015 12:02 am

Desmond studies Dieter in the better light of two lamps, "Meaning no offense at your healing abilities, Josiane, but Dieter still doesn't look very well-off. Is there anything that staff you have can do to help him? In completely unfamiliar environs, On... Ummm... a different plane, even? I'd feel better if one of our best fighters was in better shape."
[f=47]Dougal Blackfoot (MV 9", AC 6, Lvl 4, HP 10/10) [/f]
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by waysoftheearth » Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 am

Those that explore the broad passage cannot remark upon its origin or use... it is all construed of an unfamiliar, alien rock. Rough hewn and functional, but far too broad to be mere shaft. Anyone who builds a 30ft broad passage much surely be expecting substantial traffic... yet there is none to speak of.
  Code:
..##======O====O====O====O====O====...
..###..........U...H..................
...Sand.....J.D...O.a.d.....Level....
...###..........A..T..................
..###.....O====O====O====O====O====...
..##........Slightly.descending.-->..
.X..================================..
W+Y...................................
.Z....................................
Desmond/Mondes is no slouch himself as a fighter... wasn't it them who took the wooden bowls from the shrine?

What now people? Ahead in the broad passage, or slightly downslope in the narrow passage?

Either way, I'll need a marching order of sorts.
[f=32]Golgildir the Elf Medium (MV 12", AC 9, HD 1, hp 1/1, AL N) great cloak, lantern; spells: color spray; scrolls: sleep, sleep, charm person

Post by ehiker133 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:35 am

Torben has the bowl, iirc, but it requires blessed water to function, doesn't it? Or holy water, if there is a difference. I think I asked once about whether Josiane could just say a blessing over the water or if it had to be a certain spell and, if so, if she knew that spell. I don't recall anyone answering. Truth be told, I try as best I can to not say anything about objects that other people have in their possession. I think the responsibility to mention or use such objects lies with the possessor. that said, maybe we should put the bowl in someone else's possession? Doesn't matter who, as long as they are regularly active and would try and put it into use.

Re: Marching Order
Desmond is perfectly willing to take the front. That way he can attempt to prevent them from wandering across any traps. Do we have a SOP marching order we can just adjust to remove the characters not present?
[f=59]Goldwen (Sagacious* Abbess, MV 9′′, AC 6, HD 2+1, HP 9, FC 2 men, SV C3, L][/f]

Post by ehiker133 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:44 am

Something like this...

Standard 2x Formation:
Desmond...Dieter
Armando..Torben
Josiane..Helmut
Ashtad.....Olaf

Standard 1x Formation:
Desmond
Dieter
Torben
Armando
Josiane
Helmut
Ashtad
Olaf

Post by doctorx » Wed May 27, 2015 1:40 pm

"The Theraic Staff's power works against curses or diseases, friend Desmond,"says Josiane regretfully; "I fear the treatment of common wounds are not in the nature of its blessing. Nonetheless, I will try what I may."

She'll examine the Staff to see if there's anything she's missed or that its presence on another plane may have revealed. She'll also take a look at the wooden bowl Torben's carrying if he's willing to see if she thinks it may be within her power to activate its magicks.

"They do keep calling me 'Saint' after all;" she thinks to herself. "Maybe it's time I tried to make that count for something..." :?
Last edited by doctorx on Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post by waysoftheearth » Thu May 28, 2015 7:01 am

ehiker133 wrote:Something like this...
And Ulric?

Post by ehiker133 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:53 am

Somewhere in the middle...

Standard 2x Formation:
Desmond...Dieter
Armando..Torben
Ulrich
Josiane..Helmut
Ashtad.....Olaf

Standard 1x Formation:
Desmond
Dieter
Torben
Armando
Ulrich
Josiane
Helmut
Ashtad
Olaf

Post by waysoftheearth » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:49 pm

The company form up in a two-by-two marching order, with Desmond/Mondes and Dieter in the front. Armando and Ulric illuminate the way with their lanterns.

Josiane gives the Theraic Staff another look over, but doesn't learn anything new. Torben digs the plain wooden bowl out of his pack, but it's just a plain wooden bowl. He doubts it has any mythic properties at all. Josiane kneels to contemplate the situation for a moment, while the others are making ready.

Creation of Holy water is normally a ritual performed by three ordained priests who concurrently invoke the purify food and drink, protection from evil, and bless prayers. Her means here are more limited. She might, speculatively, omit the purify food and drink prayer if her water source was already wholly pristine. Wen has the rosary beads which could provide protection from evil, and she herself could perform a blessing. It might be almost enough...
What next?

Return to “Hinterlands”